Sign in to follow this  
greengorilla

Jehovah's witness pickpocket scam?

greengorilla

Don't know if this has happened to anyone else, but going on the MRT train from manila the other day, a Jehovah's witness struck up a conversation.

The train was packed, and while I can't prove that he was involved, a pickpocket took my phone. Even though I was patting my pocket regularly I guess I was just tired and not on the alert

Has this happened before to anyone here? Someone distracts you like a jehovah's witness, then another pickpockets?

The train was going south from Makati

meylou

Sorry to know you're a victim of pickpockets. This happens a lot on public transportations and crowded places. :(

• Like 1

SomeRandomGuy

They usually work in twos.

Sent from my mind on my doovalacky to your mind thru your doovalacky.

Monsoon

It (pickpocketing) is a very common practice on the MRT - so I've been told. 

lopburi3

On a packed train it will normally only be one picking out someone - two are not needed.  Doubt very much the preaching had anything to do with the theft.  But as said such public transport is prime ground for pickpockets who are off at next exit.  I seldom travel by MRT but here in Bangkok when I do so wallet is into deep front pocket before I board and still try to keep contact.  In the land of Jeepneys I suspect you have a keen sense for such security.

• Like 1

thebob

Even though I was patting my pocket regularly

Patting your pocket just shows the pickpocket where your valuables are.

InternetTough

I protect my wallet by wedging a comb into it and against the edge of the pocket.

I, at least, have a much harder time removing it!

As for how to protect a cell phone---I have no idea.

SomeRandomGuy

I've always used a cheap wallet with a chain. People give me shit about as it looks shit but never been pick pocketed and since I got the chain I've never left my wallet at a bar because I was pissed

• Like 1

Headshot

If you are in a crowded situation, such as in a jeepney, bus or train where others are packed around you, do what your drill sergeant told you not to do...PUT YOUR HANDS IN YOUR POCKETS AND KEEP THEM THERE. They don't have to be all the way in your pockets, but should be in contact with your valuables. Another favorite method to get your valuables is to cut the bottom of your pocket with a razor blade and take the valuables out through the hole. However, if you are touching your stuff, you will notice no matter where they try to get it from I had a pickpocket cut my pocket, but they couldn't get anything because I was touching my valuables and they wouldn't move. I didn't even realize what had happened until I got off the jeepney and saw the cut across the front of the pocket. I had to replace the shorts, but I still had my phone and wallet. If my hand hadn't been there, they would have still ruined my shorts, but would also have my phone and wallet.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 3

SomeRandomGuy

Yeah I've had some cut my shorts, bloody brand new ones too I was pissed off. Didn't even notice it till my fiancé asked what happened to my pants. Didn't lose anything but still my bloody shorts..I'm not exactly the fashionista ( or whatever a male version of that is) but I'm picky when it comes to clothes here... I'm stuck in my 80s skater clothing and I'm comfortable with that...that's right I say no to skinny jeans folks

broden

to ease your mind when you are somewhere that worries you about such things .. i've posted this in the past a few times

and i've had a few pairs of pants altered in this way...

your front pants pockets have them extended long enough so that your wallet or whatever you want to carry fits in the new extension. separate the new extension from the original length of the pocket with velcro.. this effectively gives you a usable top pocket for small change gum or whatever and locks your valuable away in the lower pocket that is still very easily accessible to you  when you want it

also there is a reason real mobsters keep a rubber band around their cash not a money clip or in a wallet

Mandingo

Got pick pocketed in Baguio and although I knew what was happening it happened so fast I had no time to react. A little girl maybe 5 or 6 was walking in front of me carrying two large bags in her hands on one of the skywalks that was jammed packed. She quickly slowed down and dropped the bags right in front of me and then stopped, knew right then what was happening but I could have either grabbed my wallet or try to balance myself as to not run the little girl over which would not have been pretty and she would have gotten hurt. Lesson learned, now I have a leather normal looking money belt and as someone else posted keep a big rubber band around my wallet.

lamoe

If anyone's wondering - rubber band keeps wallet from sliding out easily.

Enuff

I keep everything in my man bag (satchel, murse, man purse, fag bag) with strapped over shoulder with bag directly over chest and both hands securing it safely.

Transmitted through thought

lopburi3

Yes but many of us of non European origin are not comfortable with such a feminine item - or just not built with it in mind.  :)

man-bag-satchel.jpg