Adapters available for Computers?

Hello,

My wife and I plan to move back to Cebu for atleast 4 years while she is getting her nursing degree at Cebu Doctor's College. We currently live in Seattle USA.

I'd love to bring over my computer, scanner and dvd burner but somehow I'm sure the power supplies are non compatible with ones built in the States.

Are converters available for US electronics or better to just buy new in Cebu?'

Thanks for the advice.

Pete in Seattle

Hello,

My wife and I plan to move back to Cebu for atleast 4 years while she is getting her nursing degree at Cebu Doctor's College. We currently live in Seattle USA.

I'd love to bring over my computer, scanner and dvd burner but somehow I'm sure the power supplies are non compatible with ones built in the States.

Thanks for the advice.

Pete in Seattle

Most desktop computers have a switch on the back of the power supply to change between 110v and 220v. Most laptops are fine with either.

Hi Pete

I'm pretty sure same power supply here in phils. voltage and socket/outlet basically the same.

absolutely no problem of bringing your computer in phils.

cheers,

gerro

Hi Pete

I'm pretty sure same power supply here in phils. voltage and socket/outlet basically the same.

absolutely no problem of bringing your computer in phils.

cheers,

gerro

The socket may be the same, but the U.S. is 110v and the Philippines is 220v.

The socket may be the same, but the U.S. is 110v and the Philippines is 220v.

Does america also have 60 hz just like the phils?

The 110 / 220 v says nothing because on every new type of electric tool is a switch like that but not all have 60 hz.

A mobile phone has that 50 / 60 hz

Nangulo

Check the label.

My Dell 5150 power supply says it will accept input of 110/220 VAC at 50/60 Hz. The Philippines runs 220 VAC at 60 Hz. The plugs are two prong, just like in the States. So, no adapter necessary.

I kept my digital camera and electic razor charged without using a plug or voltage adapter last time I was there. You have to check the specific equipment and see what range of input voltage/frequency it will accept.

Thanks for the fast replies! Looking forward to the move over to Cebu. Can't wait to meet some of the expats on the forum.

Does america also have 60 hz just like the phils?

The 110 / 220 v says nothing because on every new type of electric tool is a switch like that but not all have 60 hz.

A mobile phone has that 50 / 60 hz

Yes, 60hz in the United States.

I brought my 110 V VCR player from the USA and my stereo receiver 6 Years ago. still working with a converter. You can also take your PC to a shop and they will convert it to 220 v

they do it with TVs here also. Cause many buy surplus TVs from Korea or Japan that are 100v

Nangulo
The plugs are two prong, just like in the States. So, no adapter necessary.

I got to thinking today and the 'no adapter necessary' may be a little misleading. My laptop power supply has three prongs (two prongs and a ground). All of the receptacles I've see in Cebu are only two prongs (no dedicated ground), which was fine for my camera and razor because they were only two prong plugs.

So, I need a standard 3-prong to 2-prong plug adapter, but not a voltage adapter because the label says the unit will accept 220 VAC input.

Greetings:

Yep. But, unless it is a new computer, I would not take it to the Philippines. I would buy a new one there, if your computer is say, more than two years old. You can remove the HDD and put it in the new machine. Of course, this is only my opinion.

I got to thinking today and the 'no adapter necessary' may be a little misleading. My laptop power supply has three prongs (two prongs and a ground). All of the receptacles I've see in Cebu are only two prongs (no dedicated ground), which was fine for my camera and razor because they were only two prong plugs.

So, I need a standard 3-prong to 2-prong plug adapter, but not a voltage adapter because the label says the unit will accept 220 VAC input.

Typically many electronic accessories and electrical appliances today, have something similar written on the plugs or power supplies. It would look something like this:

Input Voltage: 100 - 240 volts AC 50/60 Hertz

Output Voltage: (Whatever your particular appliance requires.)

As far as adapters go, check out the hardware store in SM or Ayala. They will have tons of voltage transformers (for 100v AC appliances), and prong / plug adapters as well.

HTH

• 2 weeks later...

Had a used laptop sent via FEDEX for my son from a stateside relative. Problem I ran into was the a/c power adapter. Was supposed to work on either 220/110 but wound up frying the motherboard. Had it somewhat fixed & bought a new local power adapter but damage sustained was eventually the end of it. :(