Sign in to follow this  
Mikala

Blame Denial / Risk of Losing 'Face'

Mikala

Last weekend (a holiday weekend in Korea), I skipped flying out for a weekend trip because I needed to make sausages for the company picnic (on the 22nd). I put 3 days of effort into it with cutting the vegetables, onions, garlic and such. Mixing about 30 kg of meat, then letting it sit overnight. Then 1 day of stuffing about 75 to 80 meters of sausages (Polish, Northern Italian, Ghost). Once stuffed, I put them into the oven and pre-cooked them for an hour. By the end of the day Sunday (June 8th) all the sausages were done and in my freezer wrapped in tin foil and then placed into gallon ziplock bags. I had to take the shelf in the freezer out so I wouldn’t break it under the weight of the sausages (I learned that the hard way and just replaced the shelf a few weeks ago since it broke on me).

Monday headed to my northern apartment to work the week there. I checked the sausages in the freezer before leaving and they’d all settled and frozen nicely.

Returned to my southern apt  Friday late afternoon, only to hear a beeping noise coming from my apt. I walk in and see 3 packages of sausages on the floor, but the rest in the refrigerator with the door to the freezer wide open.

My theory is that the maid came in on Monday, saw the freezer shelf in the patio area and tried to reinstall it (the shelf was moved from where I put it), then figured out the sausages were too heavy, so abandoned the effort and shoved the sausages back into the freezer, but not in the same position where they were conforming to each other’s shape. Unbeknownst to her, the sausages were unstable and they tumbled back out when she slammed the front door. So they sat there all week with no refrigeration. I had to throw away all the sausages I made. Sacrificing my holiday weekend was completely wasted.

My secretary said she would lambaste the maid, but I saw no point to that. It would just get her upset and then she might put something weird into my food or bed while I’m gone. My secretary then offered to fire the maid (I’ll be the boss in about 4 weeks), but I didn’t see any point in that either. All Korean maids generally do a bad job at cleaning. They get paid for 2 hours of cleaning and might work about 45 minutes, then watch TV (I have a netcam in the living room).

It’s so frustrating the Asian mentality of avoiding blame to save face or running away from the scene of an accident. Doesn’t matter if it’s the maid or a nuclear engineer. Whenever something has gone wrong, they all say “I didn’t do it”. Even if I find something that was obviously broken by the person, they will deny it. I’ve seen this in the Philippines, Japan and Korea. I’ve also seen it with my 10 year old niece…

:killself:     :banghead:    :banghead: 

• Like 1

Majorsco

Yes it's a cultural issue in just about every Asian country and I've also seen it in Indian and middle eastern cultures as well.  Of course if you confront an Asian man with something he did that was his fault, he may not only deny, but he may start a fight or kill you.  There are so many armed Filipino men (guns and knives) that you need to think twice about a confrontation based on telling them they did something wrong.

• Like 1

lopburi3

But then again shelf could have just been moved to clean and incident had nothing to do with her?  

tokyoman

Even if I find something that was obviously broken by the person, they will deny it. I’ve seen this in the Philippines, Japan and Korea.

Japanese are different IMO

They usually own up to it and profusely apologise

Then again a Japanese person would have packed them a lot better or gotten help if there was a problem

• Like 2

Mikala

But then again shelf could have just been moved to clean and incident had nothing to do with her?  

Maybe. Just the sausages were pretty well stacked and pressing against each other before being frozen. Either way, doesn't matter since I'm not going to pursue the matter. Just my thought...

Then again, the thought that the maid actually cleaned on the patio might be a bit far-fetched. She doesn't even clean under the table. I doubt she's mopped the floor this year (except with water). Never seen a janitor here mop with any type of soapy solution. Just water.

Mikala

Japanese are different IMO

They usually own up to it and profusely apologise

Then again a Japanese person would have packed them a lot better or gotten help if there was a problem

I'm trying not to show favoratism towards Japanese since my children are 1/2 Japanese...

That being said, I tend to agree with you on that. Let me take back my vitriolic attack on the Japanese culture. Gomen ne...

• Like 2

lopburi3

Maybe. Just the sausages were pretty well stacked and pressing against each other before being frozen. Either way, doesn't matter since I'm not going to pursue the matter. Just my thought...

Agree it is likely as you suspect and would ask her if she noticed anything wrong when she cleaned and explain how it was when you returned (trying to find out how long it might have been that way type question).  That gives a chance for explanation if she knows something but does not accuse.  

• Like 1

Mikala

Agree it is likely as you suspect and would ask her if she noticed anything wrong when she cleaned and explain how it was when you returned (trying to find out how long it might have been that way type question).  That gives a chance for explanation if she knows something but does not accuse.  

When I found out she had cleaned on Monday and figured the sausages were probably on the floor for 5 days, there was no point in asking anything. I just bit the bullet rather than risk someone getting sick. Some of the engineers wanted to give the sausages to the wild dogs in the area, but I really didn't think dogs would enjoy ghost pepper sausages. Might be too painful for animals. I would only subject humans to that sort of pain!

Tamed

Lesson to be learned: Don't leave your sausage laying around where your maid will find it and try to put it away :)

seriously, that must have been painful after all that work. Did you make some more food for the occasion?.

• Like 2

Mikala

Did you make some more food for the occasion?.

This weekend I'll be assembling sausages again, just in time for the picnic mid-afternoon on Sunday. I'm low on sausage casings and spices, so won't be making much... Maybe 30 meters. I won't have time to make potato salad or fish tacos.

Monsoon

ghost pepper sausages.

Man I'd like to try one of those sometime.

Finally found some decent sausage at a weekend 'farmer's market' here in Makati. But nothing with that big of a kick.

Mikala

The ghost sausages were really tasty. I tried a new invention of my own by mixing all those ingredients. Heck, I was hand cutting the duck and bacon to go into it. I had 1 sausage and that was it. I might cry...

I need to order more ghost pepper from the States. First time I've tried it and I LIKE IT!! It takes no prisoners!!

If someone was interested, I'd bring down a ziplock bag with the spices. All you'd need to do was supply the raw ingredients. If no ability to stuff sausages (no casings), it would make a mean meatloaf or even a patty.

Warning: I made a patty with it, fried it up, made the mistake of putting my head over the frying pan when I opened the cover to "waft the smell to my nose". IT WAS LIKE BEING ATTACKED BY MUSTARD GAS!!!!!!!! I fell back coughing my lungs onto the floor. My eyes were trying to leave my head to jump into the sink for relief! Don't make that mistake!

Edited by Mikala
  • Like 3

Monsoon

There was a guy around years back growing ghost chilis. I know this because Paul had brought me some plants. I think my ex GF killed them before they fruited.

You should start a new thread and share some recipes. Im going to be shipping a few BB boxes over with home brew stuff and am thinking of throwing sausage making supplies in there as well.

They are so overpriced here. And marginal at best. At least I have yet to have sausage here that was "wow."

What spices do you typically use?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Sven

I'd say your theory about what happened to the sausages is speculative...

There could be any number of reasons why the sausages were on the floor and the freezer door open.

For example, if there were a power cut, it is conceivable that the sausages de-froze somewhat. This could cause them to change position, which could in turn force the door open... This in turn would cause a further de-freeze, etc.

Another option - perhaps the maid briefly opened the fridge to try and return that shelf, but noticed it was not required... and subsequently closed the door but not properly. This could in turn lead to the result above.

If you didn't already, I'd suggest asking the maid about her movements. Not in order to accuse her of anything - because she might not have done anything wrong. Just to get information to, hopefully, better understand what happened.

Mikala
What spices do you typically use?

Northern Italian sausages I normally use:

5-lbs pork, 1-cup cold red wine, 1-cup chopped fresh parsley, 5-tsp salt ,1-tbsp garlic powder or-4 to 5 garlic cloves, minced, 1-tbsp fresh ground pepper, 3-tsp red pepper, 5-tbsp fennel seed, 2-tsp crushed chili peppers, 5-tbsp paprika, 1 cup of minced mushrooms

Each time I make sausages though, the recipe varies. Last time I had portabella, oyster and white mushrooms available, so I chopped them up and used them all. 

Edited by Mikala
  • Like 1