Tesla Motors: All Our Patent Are Belong To You

Paul

June 12, 2014

By Elon Musk, CEO

Yesterday, there was a wall of Tesla patents in the lobby of our Palo Alto headquarters. That is no longer the case. They have been removed, in the spirit of the open source movement, for the advancement of electric vehicle technology.

Tesla Motors was created to accelerate the advent of sustainable transport. If we clear a path to the creation of compelling electric vehicles, but then lay intellectual property landmines behind us to inhibit others, we are acting in a manner contrary to that goal. Tesla will not initiate patent lawsuits against anyone who, in good faith, wants to use our technology.

When I started out with my first company, Zip2, I thought patents were a good thing and worked hard to obtain them. And maybe they were good long ago, but too often these days they serve merely to stifle progress, entrench the positions of giant corporations and enrich those in the legal profession, rather than the actual inventors. After Zip2, when I realized that receiving a patent really just meant that you bought a lottery ticket to a lawsuit, I avoided them whenever possible.

Read More Here
  • Like 2
lamoe

Had 7 application filled by several of the companies I worked for based on my concepts. Received 5 one dollar bills and two dinners.

Didn't really mater because they were specific industry applications.

Had to testify once and learned  others can  just take basic info and modify enough to claim "new and improved" well actually "never seen before"

Unless it's truly revolutionary or you are Apple, not worth the cost - $20 K and waaaay up.

SomeRandomGuy

Thanks for the link paul....nice if this continues to be a trend

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Admin (Retired)
broden

patents shmatents if they can build something that works and people like enough to buy china will copy it no patent worries at all

• Like 3
easy44

I think Elon Musk is one of the most forward thinking individuals in business today.  He makes money where no one else can and is able to see opportunities where others see trouble.  He is smart enough to know that if the electric car industry expands through the use of his patents, everyone in the industry will benefit, Tesla probably more than others.  The competition is the hydrocarbon fueled car industry and the oil companies, not other electric car manufacturers.

Brucewayne

Why not build a car with a watch-like motor?

I am sure there are ways, but am not sure about the auto rewind mechanism, durability or space requirements for such a project, but it sure would be nice not to ever have to pay for fuel again.

Maybe one could add a small electric motor with the power of the sun to help keep it wound up?

• Admin (Retired)
broden

Why not build a car with a watch-like motor?

vyw582.gif

• Like 3
contraman

Why Detroit Will Squander Teslas Patent Present

Had this article forwarded to me from a EV Forum member in the USA

:link: 

Edited by contraman