I think I'm going to start my kid on piano lessons

rainymike

I think I made a mistake with the older kids. Taught them discipline with a loud voice, long talks, and sitting in the corner. They're more behaved than most kids, but I'm not sure its for the right reasons.

The two year old will soon be three. She learns by imitating and by what pleases daddy. She seems a smart cookie. Speaking both English and Tagalog. Goes to the CR. Able to use a spoon and feed herself. Is just as likely to want a book as much as a toy when we go to the mall. 

We're exploring music lessons for her at a nursery. Choices are violin and piano. Her fingers are not coordinated enough for violin, but she's more than capable to plunk around on a keyboard. No grand piano, if things look okay, I'll buy one of those smaller electronic keyboards. Not wanting to turn her into a musician, just want her to develop discipline with a minimum of the sit in the corner approach.

LOL ... she's still a baby, but learning fast. Some things she's very mature at. Others less so. She'd be one of those kids that drive older expats nuts at a restaurant. She likes to run around. But, when its time to eat, she'll sit and eat properly with a spoon mostly by herself. Unless of course, Jollibee is marching around the mall. Then both she and daddy jump up in the middle of the meal in pursuit of Jollibee.  LOL ... life is too damn short worrying about what others might think. 

So what has been the experience of others with young kids and music? Either here in the Phils or elsewhere? I'm hoping she'll take to a piano and develop the discipline to practice on her own. She does love to sing, but no singing lessons to be found. Does a reasonably good 'check your hair' Palmolive song for a two year old though.

Enuff

children are sponges with so much capacity for learning. from what I have heard once playing and instrument, they others come easier. piano at 3, maybe guitar & violin by 7.

• Like 2
goggleye

real strong correlation between kids who learned piano and reading skills   - seems to build up the same part of the brain 

• Like 3
contraman

I was raised by my Grandparents and was forced to learn piano the old way of repeated scales being practiced every night.

I did not enjoy it.

However, it has been kind to me and helped pay my way through university by playing in piano bars and later in bands.

It is a skill that I had and took me through life, a skill that I have never lost.

It has also taught me patience and discipline and introduced me to many people that I would have never met.

Nowadays, piano is taught by different methods, you are now taught by actually learning tunes.

This makes it much more interesting and takes away the boredom of scales etc.

All my grandchildren have learnt piano by this method and are loving it.

Sadly for me arthritis has for the most part taken this gift from me.

But in answer to the question. Yes, if you kids or interested, give them full encouragement.

Even if they only use one of those electronic keyboards.

• Like 4
Mandingo

Learning a musical instrument is a great idea. My parents had both my sister and I start at a early age. My sister was taught piano still plays today but my parents choice for me was an accordion, as in Lawrence Welk, lol. Needless to say I drop it as soon as I got old enough to have friends......

• Like 1
I <3 Cebu

Piano for sure, more opportunities if seeking a future career in music.

Be sure to buy her a tennis racquet too!

• Like 1
JohnSurrey

Our's is nearly 2 - started with "I'm the music man... I come from far away and I can play... I can play the piano..."

I pretended to play the piano on our kitchen table... and he copied me.

Next thing is Carole King is playing Smack Water Jack https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM-Tq3m12qs ... as a duet...

So up he comes, takes me by the hand, makes me sit down next to him at the small table so we can play the duet together!

So I'll be encouraging ours...

Actually he likes to do a bit of karaoke now (with actions) which the family and neighbours love of course so it's looking like we're all going to be singing from the same hymn sheet on this... albeit with slightly different aims.

• Like 1
Paddy

Does a reasonably good 'check your hair' Palmolive song for a two year old though

ALL the kids (girls anyway!) can do a pretty good "check your hair". There were two dancing down the side of our lot this afternoon doing it - and I know for sure they don't have a TV at home :)

There are lots of good reasons to start children on a musical instrument - more so if they seem to want to learn.

• Like 2
rainymike

Thanks for the insights guys. We've decided to look into this seriously. At this age, I don't think our kid is able to play. But in the same way that she can't read, but loves to flip through books, having a piano/keyboard seems to be a good household addition for now. My partner is interested as well and if she's plunking on the keyboard, it's a guarantee that baby will follow. We're going to hire a walk in tutor to get the family started. If interest is maintained, we'll go further.

You know it's real easy to moan about the weaknesses of education in the country. But I think the real weakness lies in the imagination of parents. And in this country, there are options. You have to work at it, but they're there. Need to be engaged in a child's education in this country. 

Now as far as music goes. Although I love Carole King and Elton John on the keys, for some reason this has been a favorite. Thanks to the Sting. I can just see Paul Newman grinning.

• Like 3

I sent all my kids to a primary school that ran a music instrumental program. I think each started around 7 years of age on string instruments, one learned the clarinet I think he had to wait another year, all passed an aptitude test before being accepted into the program.    I credit learning music at an early age to their overall intelligence and strong development in music, math, science and art.  They were good in all their subjects and logical reasoning.  Funny they all know how to play an instrument but did not carry it into adult life in any serious way they did and still continue their visual art in their own ways. 

Part of my motivation in sending them to that school was a book put out by Howard Gardner on multiple intelligences in the 1980's.  One idea I remember was that music is one of the first intelligences a child develops and influences skills in math and logic.  I don't know how serious his theories are taken today for me I felt there was something to them. 

• Like 2
rainymike

Part of my motivation in sending them to that school was a book put out by Howard Gardner on multiple intelligences in the 1980's.  One idea I remember was that music is one of the first intelligences a child develops and influences skills in math and logic.  I don't know how serious his theories are taken today for me I felt there was something to them. 

The Phils seems to be pretty big on multiple intelligence. I do think it has its benefits, but seat time in the classroom is limited given everything they have to cover. But I definitely try to provide opportunities for my kids to develop in other areas. 

• Like 1