Dengue cases down 69% in Jan to May period over last year

tokyoman

Some progress is being made! But still communities need to work together to stop potential breeding areas.

Some tips;

Use a insect repellent with DEET (spray especially around the ankles)

OR wear long sleeved pants and shirts especially between the hours of 6am and 9am when the female Aedes mosquito are biting

AND clean up around the house to prevent them from breeding

We need to take dengue seriously - I have seen kids bleeding from the eyes and die from it

ILOILO CITY, June 9 (PIA) --- The Department of Health (DOH) in Western Visayas is intensifying its anti-dengue campaign dubbed “Aksyon Barangay Kontra Dengue” (ABKD) to stir up community action against the infectious disease.

In a media release, the DOH said that ABKD seeks to reinforce the country’s drive against dengue by going back to the basics of comprehensive vector control supported by environmental sanitation and modification.

DOH-6 Regional Director Marlyn Convocar said that dengue prevention is community action, participation and involvement of the different agencies and the private sector.

The program calls for regular weekly clean-up drives spearheaded by the barangay leaders and includes the active participation of community volunteers, civil society and others in government.

“Dengue continues to hold its position as an infectious disease with far reaching effects regionwide and nationwide, thus it becomes a “year round public health threat”, she said.

The DOH-6 strongly promotes the 4-S campaign: searching and destroying possible grounds of dengue-carrying mosquitoes; self-protection by wearing long-sleeved shirts and pants for protection; seeking health professionals for fever that lasts two days or more; and saying no to indiscriminate fogging.

Meanwhile, the Regional Epidemiological Surveillance Unit (RESU) of DOH-6 reported that the total number of cases in Western Visayas reached 1,399 from January 1- May 17, 2014.

RESU said that the figure is 69.36 percent lower as compared to the same period last year. (JCM/LTP/PIA-Iloilo)

- See more at: http://news.pia.gov.ph/index.php?article=2421402285095#sthash.TJjM8tV0.dpuf

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...
oscarpears

That's good news and a useful post. I was went for a blood test for Dengue in a hospital in Davao. The wards were filled with patients suffering dreadful fevers. I too had a serious fever and was amazed that the wards were extremely well lit with florescent tube lighting.

I couldn't bare the bright light and pitied the children suffering under the lights.

In an effort to cheer up the patients and their families, the walls were covered with posters saying in large black letters: DENGUE KILLS.

No matter how they try and clean up to combat the Dengue fly, the Philippines is so vast and there is so much rubbish and stagnant water everywhere, it will prove I think a very resilient and common disease.

I wonder if you get Dengue once, do you have immunity thereafter?

• Like 1
Paul

I will never contract Dengue. But, I hope and pray it leaves others alone as well. It can be quite nasty.

From what I understand, the answer to that is no.

• Like 1
bounder

Ah yes....Dengue Fever.....I contracted it last year....the knee joints swelled up nicely and could barely make it to the bathroom or anywhere else for that matter......joint pain was excruciating and never seem to end....that lasted at least a month.  Then there was that attractive full body rash that accompanied the malady.  Thank goodness I stayed hydrated and the fever was minimal....  Once is enough of that experience for me. 

tokyoman

There are 4 strains and you will get immunity from that strain you were infected with but for how long is anyones guess?

It could be as short as 3 months

And then you have 3 other strains to get infected with which could stuff you up real bad

Don't let your guard down....spray yourself down or cover yourself up

• Like 1

Some progress is being made ...

might be my glases are dirty but progress and made ... cant see what was 'made'

I'd rather say we had good luck

Edited by Haki
tokyoman

might be my glases are dirty but progress and made ... cant see what was 'made'

I'd rather say we had good luck

Agree a lot more needs to be done

Barangay should send out inspectors to homes giving advice and ordering people to get rid of potential breeding spots

The price of OFF lotion ( although you have to question its effectiveness) should come down or even donated to parents who can not afford it (Something for the charities to consider) 

rainymike

Agree. I'm far more concerned about dengue than a lot of other things that people get upset over.