Veco offers solar power to public

Headshot

David, go look at a transformer (it isn't necessary to say "step-down" since that is assumed unless it is a step-up transformer...such as at a generation unit). Wolf is correct on his drawings. The legs are both ungrounded on VECO transformers, and the center point is grounded. If you tap the grounded center point on the VECO transformer with a neutral, you would have 120 volts between the neutral and each of the legs (just like you get with the North American transformer). If one of the legs is grounded (as on the CEBECO transformer), then all you can get is 240 volts.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Woolf

• Jim in Cebu

• big RB

• shanelec

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SunStar   http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/local-news/2014/06/08/veco-offers-solar-power-public-347232   Veco offers solar power to public   By Elias O. Baquero Sunday, June 8, 2014 THE Visaya

I would be so into this if a) cebeco III was doing it (Toledo)  and b) if there was a 2 or 3kw option.  We spend 6 months in oz and 6 months here.  Oz place generates more than we use annually so we g

The offer sounds interesting (at a superficial level)...  However, I'd sure want to know a whole lot more before investing.   One of my concerns would be maintenance and durability of a system that

Posted Images

David_LivinginTalisay

David, go look at a transformer (it isn't necessary to say "step-down" since that is assumed unless it is a step-up transformer...such as at a generation unit). Wolf is correct on his drawings. The legs are both ungrounded on VECO transformers, and the center point is grounded. If you tap the grounded center point on the VECO transformer with a neutral, you would have 120 volts between the neutral and each of the legs (just like you get with the North American transformer). If one of the legs is grounded (as on the CEBECO transformer), then all you can get is 240 volts.

Headshot, so how do you explain my Meter Reading of 200V to ground on one leg, and only 30-40V on the other leg to same ground (240V across the two L1 - L2) of the VECO feed to our house in Talisay, if it is Cente Tap grounded Transformer as you suggest for VECO?

I think I will post this question to VECO on Facebook, and see what they say!

Headshot

Headshot, so how do you explain my Meter Reading of 200V to ground on one leg, and only 30-40V on the other leg to same ground (240V across the two L1 - L2) of the VECO feed to our house in Talisay, if it is Cente Tap grounded Transformer as you suggest for VECO?

I think I will post this question to VECO on Facebook, and see what they say!

It's called floating voltages (which is common where the system is poorly grounded), and it means that likely your ground is not tied to the ground at the transformer (and may not be a good ground at all). As you apply load to one leg (leg to neutral), it lowers the voltage on that side and the other leg spikes proportionately. It probably won't affect anything that uses 240 volts, but it will really mess up anything that uses 120 volts and is connected from leg to grounded neutral.

It can be solved by driving a good ground tied to your breaker panel ground point, and running a grounded neutral from the transformer center point to the breaker panel (where it is also tied to ground. That will prevent float. However, that isn't cheap, and it is probably better for you to only use the leg to leg voltage (220/240 volts), and use a small dry transformer for any 120 volt needs.

Edited by Headshot