Chromebooks coming to the Philippines

contraman

Chromebooks, the laptops that run Google's minimalist Internet-centric ChromeOS, are coming to Philippine shores with the upcoming launch of two models.

Google said the Chromebooks should help people get things done faster and easier with ChromeOS' security and cloud storage - and of course, integration with Google services."Soon Filipinos can experience the speed, simplicity and security of Chromebooks with the official launch of the Acer C720 and the Acer C720P," it said.

The C720 is an everyday computer with an 11.6-inch display, long battery life and weighing just 1.2kg.On the other hand, the Acer C720P has a widescreen touchscreen, "perfect for watching your favorite episodes of 'Bubble Gang' or concerts you missed."The latest Chromebooks may soon be available from SMART and Acer stores, Google said. 

Dragonladies.org

I bought a samsung chromebook in the US a year ago.   Used it a little, said to myself 'Why did I buy this?"   Put it away, and only occasionally use it as backup.     I can't really explain why I don't like it, but I can't do most of the things I normally do with a laptop with it.  I mostly use it for net surfing.  I did bring it with me on my last trip to Asia since it's so damn thin/small/light, and I did not want to bring my normal laptop with me, since it has too much personal stuff on it.

It was OK for light surfing, researching/booking hotel rooms, etc.   I don't really want to spend a lot of time learning new stuff at my age.  It may be more capable than I think.  

• Like 3
contraman

I bought a samsung chromebook in the US a year ago. Used it a little, said to myself 'Why did I buy this?" Put it away, and only occasionally use it as backup. I can't really explain why I don't like it, but I can't do most of the things I normally do with a laptop with it. I mostly use it for net surfing. I did bring it with me on my last trip to Asia since it's so damn thin/small/light, and I did not want to bring my normal laptop with me, since it has too much personal stuff on it.

It was OK for light surfing, researching/booking hotel rooms, etc. I don't really want to spend a lot of time learning new stuff at my age. It may be more capable than I think.

My thoughts exactly.

I brought it being I travel a lot and is so light.

But, having to rely on being connected to the internet to be any good and as you say, can not be bothered with learning new stuff.

Even my Granddaughter (24) is not keen on it.

Wigh slow I Internet speeds here I doubt if it will catch on.

Edited by contraman
thebob

I bought a samsung chromebook in the US a year ago.   Used it a little, said to myself 'Why did I buy this?" 

I did the same with my Android tablet... used it for a couple of weeks then went back to my laptop.

LaserLou

I absolutely love my Toshiba Chromebook. My usage patterns are different from most though ... being a programmer / administrator, I can work around most limitations.

Edit:  I'll add to that.. I do a lot of remote desktop work using 2X Client.  I keep most of my files in cloud storage, using Google Drive, Dropbox, and Microsoft OneDrive now.  Microsoft Office online is good enough for the work I do. I installed Ubuntu Linux using Crouton, and I use that for Skype and Yahoo Messenger (using "Kopote").

Edit 2: I am using it in the USA now where I am always online. I have not taken it to the Philippines yet. I plan to take it with me to Samar in December; I'll report how well the Chromebook works there.

Edited by LaserLou
ex231

I bought an Acer Chromebook a little over a year ago. I gave it away and bought a tablet for travel.