Sign in to follow this  
greengorilla

Self Sufficient Shelter & Housing Options

greengorilla

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgDUVJCZC50

Certainly one good way to recycle plastic! Spiral Island by Richard Sowa is made completely out of bags of plastic bottles and plastic trash, with mangroves holding it together

d3d21c38.jpg

I am fascinated by alternative housing ideas, whether it be creations like this, rafts, boats, teepees, yurts etc etc

With the pain in finding a decent rental in the past, I might have to just look more closely into these things :)

Edited by Paul
sorted the media link

Enuff

for some reason this idea doesn't interest me in the least.

my idea of self sufficiency involves buying land, building a low cost, high quality structure. installing solar panels & well. growing & raising is fine too.

for some reason living on a floating bottle raft doesn't appeal to me at all.

• Like 5

Brucewayne

Interesting, but scary.

Wouldn't this floating pile of trash be unsafe during inclement weather?

• Like 2

Enuff

Interesting, but scary.

Wouldn't this floating pile of trash be unsafe during inclement weather?

Appears unsafe during a nice day. Hope he never floats to RP. They will steal all his bottles.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like 5

greengorilla

It has a fair amount of structural integrity as the mangroves grow amongst the bags and help to strengthen the whole structure. Apparently it has survived more than 1 cyclone with a small amount of repair needed. The bottles are almost indestructible, and because there are so many individual parts it seems to work well with the mangroves and root structure, I would imagine the more the root structure gets interwoven amongst the bags the stronger the foundations are year by year.

I like the idea of being self sufficient on land too, but still ive seen lots of really innovative excellent ideas all over the place

Brucewayne

Is it legal to build and own an island here?

Or would the Philippine Coast Guard suddenly show up and arrest all inhabitants for possibly causing a nuisance?

• Like 2

contraman

Or would the Philippine Coast Guard suddenly show up and arrest all inhabitants for possibly causing a nuisance?

Sure they could, they now have a new warship so they can really flex their muscles :)
  • Like 1

Salty Dog

I'm not sure he will be able to float around the world without traveling through the temperate zone, where some of his tropical flora might not be able to survive the lower temperatures.

• Like 1

greengorilla

Can't see why not, im sure its in a legal grey area at the very least. Pretty cool idea, you could probably start by dumping lots of connected tires/concrete blocks on a shallow area to get the ball rolling, keep adding and soon enough you have something

big RB

I am in the Philippine Monsoon season here, so my tattoo internet can not run the video. So I do not have much info.. Where is this? As for legality here? It would be a problem someday. Particularly if it ever became valuable.

A while back we bought the meter strip that the government had title to between a parcel of land we own and the Sulu sea coast. Then, wondering if it were legal, I ask the city if I could build a pier, and if so how far out? I was told that I could, and nobody knew of any set limit on how far out, but that it could not be a hazard to navigation. Interesting idea? Maybe I should build a plastic bottle peninsula? They love the mangroves here, and the Department of Agriculture will give you the plants. Does it float, or is it reaching bottom?

• Like 1

Paul

I am in the Philippine Monsoon season here, so my tattoo internet can not run the video. So I do not have much info.. Where is this? As for legality here? It would be a problem someday. Particularly if it ever became valuable.

A while back we bought the meter strip that the government had title to between a parcel of land we own and the Sulu sea coast. Then, wondering if it were legal, I ask the city if I could build a pier, and if so how far out? I was told that I could, and nobody knew of any set limit on how far out, but that it could not be a hazard to navigation. Interesting idea? Maybe I should build a plastic bottle peninsula? They love the mangroves here, and the Department of Agriculture will give you the plants. Does it float, or is it reaching bottom?

The island in the video is in Mexico. It is a free floating island, with everything based on top of huge bags of water bottles. 

ahoy53

Wouldn't even think of sailing that anywhere 

• Like 1

KID

The Chinese seem to think it is :)

• Like 5

RogerDat

Can't see why not, im sure its in a legal grey area at the very least. Pretty cool idea, you could probably start by dumping lots of connected tires/concrete blocks on a shallow area to get the ball rolling, keep adding and soon enough you have something

Greetings! Thats how the SRP got started!

Headshot

It floats. Plastic bottles don't stand up well to abrasion against the bottom. However, if you can build a pier, you would at least have easy access out to you floating island. You should know, though, that this guy is on his fourth island. His first three projects were destroyed by storms. An "island" built out of empty plastic bottles and old fishing nets really has no structural integrity to speak of, and a storm can destroy it.

Planting mangroves is an excellent idea, as they provide a natural anchorage, but they won't completely protect you against storms coming in off the ocean (and the associated surge). There is a limit to the depth at which mangroves can be planted though, so this floating island can only be done in relatively shallow water. I would venture to guess that the fishing from such a floating island would be really good, since mangroves and debris rafts provide some protection for baby fish, and wherever there are baby fish, there will always be bigger fish that hang around trying to eat them.

However, if there is a storm coming, it is time to head for higher ground, and let the "island" fend for itself. If you are lucky, it will still be there. If not, then you can rebuild just like this guy does.