Sign in to follow this  
Jimone

Can this be right

A_Simple_Man

my wife sister just went to MECO to pay the deposit

So the info is second hand.  What did she tell them.  Is it MECO that demands the bill be paid?  Or is this something cooked up by family members.  My experience with the few electric companies I have dealt with in Philippines is that the bill for electricity goes in the name of the registered homeowner and he/she is responsible for all charges by guests or tenants.  I have never come across a situation such as you describe so my opinion is that it is not normal.  But abnormality is the norm here.

• Like 5

Jimone

So the info is second hand.  What did she tell them.  Is it MECO that demands the bill be paid?  Or is this something cooked up by family members.  My experience with the few electric companies I have dealt with in Philippines is that the bill for electricity goes in the name of the registered homeowner and he/she is responsible for all charges by guests or tenants.  I have never come across a situation such as you describe so my opinion is that it is not normal.  But abnormality is the norm here.

When they had the interview with MECO , they noticed that there was Baron on the form so they asked if her mother was related, and they said yes,, game over.... 

Bill H

Seems strange to me.  I'd contact them in person or by phone and ask for an explanation.  Things are truly different here, but sometimes you can talk your way out of things too!

• Like 2

jtmwatchbiz

Seems strange to me.  I'd contact them in person or by phone and ask for an explanation.  Things are truly different here, but sometimes you can talk your way out of things too!

yes could be good advice, but for me i would pay. if they are as incompetent as expected, 6 months or a year down the road they will shut off the power and start with the same nonsense again. may as well nip the problem in the bud and pay the silly bill now. 

bounder

I think most countries have laws in place that children are not responsible for their deceased parents bills. Just search online for that if you can't get the answer here.

FACT...In the United States, if the Social Security Administration discovers that they overpaid a person (s) in a family and the recipients are now deceased, the administration will go after the children for the overage.  Doesn't matter if there was an estate or not.  The SS looks up the children of the deceased and then puts a claim on their income tax refunds. They could not do that until an obscure measure was inserted into the 2008 Farm Bill.  Anyway, if you are American, you best hope that your long gone folks didn't owe money as there is a ten year time limit (just instituted).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/social-security-stops-trying-to-collect-on-old-taxpayer-debts/2014/04/14/9355c58e-c40f-11e3-bcec-b71ee10e9bc3_story.html

bargeman

just do what i have been doing for years when confronted with such problems.

pay.

your sanity will thank you :)

Pay up or buy a generator. :cool:

• Like 1

Salty Dog

They turn my sister-in-laws off if she owes even as few hundred peso and doesn't pay on time.

She lives in Sorsogon though and they have a different COOP there I guess.

austwin

My wife and I live in Australia and we have a house in Cordova, my wife sister just went to MECO to pay the deposit to have the electricity connected, she is telling us that they will not accept the application until her mothers over due account is settled, can this be right ???

"Can this be right" ??? Come on Jim :snap: you were probably pretty sure of the answer before you posted the post :wink:  but it has been clearly reiterated to you here ... since when does logic, ethics or legal argument enter the equation.  You are going to be 24,500 php poorer real soon pa if you want electricity ba.

"Can this be right" ?  the two word filipino response in English is ......"Why not" ?????    :wheel:

• Like 1

SomeRandomGuy

I'd wait till u get here and find out yourself personally. Things are backward here this much is true but in saying that it is scam city and u would have to know that by now. Just because they are related to u does not mean they won't try and pull one over on u. But as timex says just pay because sounds like a drama to deal with and one thing u don't want here is dramas. They love them here more then Aussie women on the dole in oz do.

Sorry jimone. Lol welcome to paradise?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by SomeRandomGuy
  • Like 4

Brucewayne

The old account is in the name of  Lordus Baron who is still alive, our application is in the name of James Jackson & Lelita Baron Jackson. I have no idea how they connected the dots, maybe a lucky guess. I just can't believe that we are responsible for her bill, where does it stop ,, 10th cousin ?? 

The amount owing is 24500 peso... 

If you are a permanent resident, put it in your name and don't mention your wife or her family.

It is none of their business if you are married or not anyway.

• Like 2

Laurence

I've heard that MECO will cut you off if your last 2 monthly bills go unpaid. Considering that an average modern house in Lapu-Lapu spends Php1,000 to Php3,000 per month, I don't think MECO would allow unpaid bills get up to Php24,000 without that house being cut off well before Php10,000 was owed. Perhaps it was an industrial or large commercial premises or a few houses were hooked up to the same line. To me there's a few questions to be asked before you pay such an amount. You should ask for previous account statements from MECO for a start.

Don't pay without seeing some proof.

Edited by Laurence
  • Like 8

Bill H

I've heard that MECO will cut you off if your last 2 monthly bills go unpaid. Considering that an average modern house in Lapu-Lapu spends Php1,000 to Php3,000 per month, I don't think MECO would allow unpaid bills get up to Php24,000 without that house being cut off well before Php10,000 was owed. Perhaps it was an industrial or large commercial premises or a few houses were hooked up to the same line. To me there's a few questions to be asked before you pay such an amount. You should ask for previous account statements from MECO for a start.

Don't pay without seeing some proof.

I agree!  All electric companies here are very quick to turn off the power if you don't pay.  Most I've used do it in a week or so.  Thus a 24,500p bill is dubious at best.  Trust but always verify.

• Like 1

Runian

that was a hell of an EL bill, I guess 500 peso bill and 17 years of back pay fee's and interest !

Maybe some1 is feeling entitled to some blessings  !?! 

It happens every day that some1 screw there family and feel no shame, Family of my ex is throwing her widow mother of "her" lot after convincing her late fathers lolo to give them all his land and a cousin built a house on lolas lot without asking ..

Now lola has to live in her old house on that lot so the other family members don't pull an " he did, so I should get some land too " 

R

Edited by Runian

Paul

I don't buy the power bill was that high before they disconnected it.

I would NOT pay it.

I WOULD go there in person and have it connected in my name. 

• Like 2

Jimone

I don't buy the power bill was that high before they disconnected it.

I would NOT pay it.

I WOULD go there in person and have it connected in my name. 

I think it has gotten that high from over due charges, but will ask them to get a statement so I can see for myself. We are in Australia at the moment and are not planning to visit Cebu until April next year, so connection it in my mane is not an option, I would also think that they would have put our address on there watch list.