Sign in to follow this  
Jimone

Can this be right

Jimone

My wife and I live in Australia and we have a house in Cordova, my wife sister just went to MECO to pay the deposit to have the electricity connected, she is telling us that they will not accept the application until her mothers over due account is settled, can this be right ???

Aerosick

Their electricity, their rules...

• Like 3

ROVER

My wife and I live in Australia and we have a house in Cordova, my wife sister just went to MECO to pay the deposit to have the electricity connected, she is telling us that they will not accept the application until her mothers over due account is settled, can this be right ???

You mean it is a house your Mother in-law used to live in or is it a new house....but her mother owes electric bill at her own home? (nothing to do with your house)?

Jimone

You mean it is a house your Mother in-law used to live in or is it a new house....but her mother owes electric bill at her own home? (nothing to do with your house)?

It is a new house that no one but our tenant has lived in before, nothing to do with my wife mother. The over due account is many years old, when my wife was still a child,  

Jim Sibbick

If it is money owned for electricity at your new house, by anyone, it is correct that the electricity will not be connected until the previous bill is paid.

• Like 1

Jim Sibbick

It is a new house that no one but our tenant has lived in before, nothing to do with my wife mother. The over due account is many years old, when my wife was still a child,  

Whose name is the application in then or how did they decide that your sister in law is a relative of the person who owes them money.?

• Like 2

Tamed

I think most countries have laws in place that children are not responsible for their deceased parents bills. Just search online for that if you can't get the answer here.

mikewright
she is telling us that they will not accept the application until her mothers over due account is settled, can this be right ???

For sure it can be true. They do things a bit differently in the Philippines :)

Relatives of mine weren't allowed to enrol their son in a private school there as they weren't married. As Aerosick said, their rules...

Edited by mikewright

ROVER

Sounds like :shitbricks: to me...Did they some how find out there is a foreigner involved? Just curious how much is owing?

• Like 1

Jimone

The old account is in the name of  Lordus Baron who is still alive, our application is in the name of James Jackson & Lelita Baron Jackson. I have no idea how they connected the dots, maybe a lucky guess. I just can't believe that we are responsible for her bill, where does it stop ,, 10th cousin ?? 

Sounds like :shitbricks: to me...Did they some how find out there is a foreigner involved? Just curious how much is owing?

The amount owing is 24500 peso... 

Jim Sibbick

I think most countries have laws in place that children are not responsible for their deceased parents bills.

They are if they are the beneficiary of the estate.

• Like 1

mikewright

The old account is in the name of Lordus Baron who is still alive,

Any chance of getting your mum-in-law to cough up and pay her overdue account?

jtmwatchbiz

The amount owing is 24500 peso...

just do what i have been doing for years when confronted with such problems.

pay.

your sanity will thank you :)

• Like 8

mikewright
I think most countries have laws in place that children are not responsible for their deceased parents bills

That's true, it's the executor or administrator who is responsible to pay all outstanding accounts before distributing to the beneficiaries. But that's not really relevant here. The electricity company has the right to make its own decision about who it supplies and under what conditions. It's either play by their rules or buy a generator  :(

Edited by mikewright

Jimone

Any chance of getting your mum-in-law to cough up and pay her overdue account?

Haha... their must be thousands of comedians out of work,,, and everyone wants to cracks jokes.... the account is at least 17 years old so ,,,, not much chance,,, 

just do what i have been doing for years when confronted with such problems.

pay.

your sanity will thank you :)

Yep, exactly what I will do, pay and move on...... 

• Like 3