Sign in to follow this  
JLG

PAL, lower and slower

JLG

I noticed PAL is flying slower and lower, they will never admit its a fuel savings measure, here is what the captain said over the P.A.

Our loss of altitudes allows a unique close up perspective of the local terraines. I assure you that it's all fart of our airline's new commitments to make your a plight a sight seeing extravaganza.

the Captain forgets to turn off the P. A. the co-pilot says , "Capitin look" Captain replies; "Don't worry! That one is always on E..."!

And don't forget, I just wanted to take this time to remind you that your seat cushions can be used as floatation devices.

Bryan.

Edited by JLG

tom_shor

Actually I believe flying lower makes them use more fuel.

JLG

Yes Tom you're right but that would ruin my joke!

Bryan

Mike S

Don't worry JLG ...... he has been known to do that ...... he is the new and refined Tom ..... all his elephants escaped over to Bob H's house and Tom is in withdrawals ....... :blink::as-if::P:lol:

Hey Tom .... another month has come and gone buddy .... getting closer ..... :lol::o

Looks like you will be arriving before my balik-bayan boxes .... they are now scheduled to be in Manila July 10th ........ maybe ..... well at least they made it through this typhoon ...... they were in Hong Kong ...... maybe ..... should arrive here in Cebu end of July ...... maybe ...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ...... well at least Misty was wrong about Davy Jones ........ maybe ..... :):D:lol:

tom_shor

Oh humor I get it. Arr Arr. :angry::P:P

Yep less than 90 days to go. But who's counting. OK I'm counting. :thumbsup:

I'm saving them up for the grand finale. I've been reading "10001 Elephant Jokes That Annoy Lee" quite a page turner. :lol::lol::angry:

Markham

When flying between Manila and Cebu, I always try to catch PAL's 9.50am or 3pm out of Manila (or the corresponding return flights from Cebu) for the simple reason is that those flights are currently serviced by a spanking new 747-400 which is faster and more comfortable than the A200s normally used. The only downside is if flying from Manila and the cross-runway is closed (used by CebuPac), the 747 will be placed at the back of the take-off queue due to the amount of turbulence it generates on take-off. Otherwise the journey time is often less than one hour.

Mark

misty

Just flew to Manila via PAL and they've done some penny pinching indeed! lol Instead of, "Coffee, tea or juice, sir/ma'am?" it's now "Coffee, tea or water, sir/ma'am?" :D Also their snacks used to be a pack of 3 items now it's just a biscuit and a small bag of peanuts. lol On our trip home it's just a wafer biscuit. lol

Mik

I was on Guam in 1980 when I first heard that PAL means Plane Always Late. Another point: do you worry when you board a plane that is old enough to still have ashtrays in the armrests?

Mike in Cebu

broden
I was on Guam in 1980 when I first heard that PAL means Plane Always Late. Another point: do you worry when you board a plane that is old enough to still have ashtrays in the armrests?

Mike in Cebu

they keep the ashtrays there cause soon that is where you carry on will have to fit

eggnoggin

Lots of locals lined up at cashier in Sudan airport in the 6os... each wth a least a dozen or so ice cream sandwiches...im thinkin.. man these guys are famished.... later... on the Dc3 "luxury" flight ... white "rain" dripping from the overhead luggage nets.... guess they were bringing some home for the kids :kidding:

retired
Lots of locals lined up at cashier in Sudan airport in the 6os... each wth a least a dozen or so ice cream sandwiches...im thinkin.. man these guys are famished.... later... on the Dc3 "luxury" flight ... white "rain" dripping from the overhead luggage nets.... guess they were bringing some home for the kids :kidding:

Philippine Air Lines or as i tend to call them pxxxy axxxd air lines . My first flight to the Philippines in 96 was with them . It was the worst airline experience of my life.. straight out of a Stephen King novel .. though no snakes . And here i was thinking take the direct flight especially since i had to travel from the east coast in the first place . Wrong ..

Flight was 3 hrs late leaving La because everybody had to load their damn aircons , etc on board . Flight was miserable . Bathrooms were never cleaned during flight and movie was a ted Turner colorised version of something made about 1942 about Christmas , and it was September . Ugh.

Flight stops in Hawaii and proceeds to lose another 2 hrs . Plane is filthy , you can't get off and my 24 hr dedorant is like on it's 48th hr . I get to Manila and i have a family waiting in a boiling parking lot taking turns to stand outside the gate in a boiling sun all the time not knowing where the hell i am because no one bothers to tell the people outside .

I have flown them domestically since but i figure the worst that can happen is i am stuck with them for an hr and a half to Manila from Cagayan de Oro . They don't give a crap because the name says Philippine on it and that have a captive audience because a filipino will fly them for that reason only .

Reminds me of the Cebu Pacific issue . Airlines here just don't much care apparently but i guess until people complain enough they have no reason to .

There , i'm done now , and i feel better . :blink:

kristine

Is Philippine Airline really that bad? My husband & I will be flying on it from Manila to Cebu. I still have time to change the flight so any current feedback would be good. Does anyone know if there is a direct flight from Bangkok to Cebu? I know there is one Cebu to Bangkok.... ;)

Bob Ward

PAL can't be too bad even at it's worst for just the short flight to Cebu. Check out Markham's post above!

Markham
Is Philippine Airline really that bad? My husband & I will be flying on it from Manila to Cebu.

I have never flown Philippine Airlines internationally so I have no experience of their long-haul flights. I have, however, flown with them many times domestically and have no bad experience to report. When I've flown, their planes have been clean, departed on time and arrived either on-time or early. My only gripe is that there's no service from Manila to Cebu between 9.50am and 1.30pm which means I have over 4 hours to kill when arriving from Europe on the KLM flight - even though I have always been at the Centennial Terminal by 9.30am, PAL still won't sell me a ticket for that flight as the transfer time is less than 90 minutes.

I personally will never ever choose to fly with Cebu Pacific.

Does anyone know if there is a direct flight from Bangkok to Cebu? I know there is one Cebu to Bangkok.... ;)

As far as I know there is no direct service between Bangkok and Cebu. Your best bet is Thai Airways' morning flight to Manila which arrives there at 1.35pm: you might/should be able to continue on to Cebu with PAL's 3pm departure.

Mark

Tatoosh

Kristine, I've flown both PAL and Cebu Pacific from and to Cebu - Manila. Both are okay. Cebu Pacific tends to be later and occasionally cancel flights. I prefer PAL personally. Markham's advice for the best plane is noteworthy. I wouldn't get too worried on your flight unless you have a critical connecting flight. PAL flights usually are fuller and you are on a larger plane (double aisle) so getting on and off is a bit more of a pain. Cebu Pacific flights are smaller plane (single aisle) but seem to be more likely to be late or cancelled. Once when Jennifer was flying, it left half an hour early! Hope everyone was already there. Every airline has their share of horror stories in terms of service. I wouldn't let it deter me personally though I'd be flying PAL over CP generally.

I have flown PAL to Guam. The service going was very good, the service coming back not quite as good but still quite acceptable.