Blue Cross of the Philippines Info

fire1911b

Some years ago there was a member of this forum that was also a sales rep. for Phil. blue cross and he was trying to organize a group here to get a discounted premium fee. Was  he successful in getting a group started? Is there still a sales rep. that is a member of this group? I would be interested In Blue cross for my self. I know that I have pre-existing that will not be covered, but I would like insurance in case of a accident or fever. Any way I am looking, I do have Phil-health but it does not cover much. Thanks

stagger

It was me that tried to put a group together, it was a bit like trying to herd cats and in the end unsuccessful for various reasons.

I am now based in the Clark Freeport Zone in Luzon and still working for the same Insurance Brokerage.

Paul Whiteway (ancientrocka) is our agent in Cebu, so if you are still interested send either him or me a pm.

We can now sit and wait for the usual suspects to vent about Blue Cross and Health Insurance in the Philippines.

:cool:

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

We can now sit and wait for the usual suspects to vent about Blue Cross and Health Insurance in the Philippines.

Yep, here I am.

Biggest waste of time and money. They are experts at telling you why they will not pay your claim. In my case the friggin jerks cried the pre-existing condition clause about a condition that not only wasn't preexisting, it didn't exist at all! 

Don't buy it with the false sense that you are covered. 

• Like 1
ozboy

Would'nt it be beneficial if members listed some pre-existing health concerns and get a rep from Blue Cross or Other to answer it in a way that we can comprehend, what is covered n whats not, plus any qualifying period..so we can judge the pros n cons of taking out an expensive policy compared to phil health's pretty basic cover...?

• Like 2
Davaoeno

Stagger- I assumed you were no longer with the company since when i renewed with Blue Cross   you seemingly had nothing to do with the process  . I'm glad to hear that you are still around .  

Re pre existing conditions - before i renewed i ran everything i could think of that could possibly be used against me in the future as a pre-existing condition  by the company - and they agreed that everything that I asked about  was not a pre existing cond.    Without that assurance i probably would not have renewed . I also asked very specific questions re qualifying periods- which they supplied .  As a former insurance attorney I can assure you that insurance companies can be some of the trickiest businesses to deal with  hehe

I of course also have Phil Health - as should anyone living here, [ pinoy or otherwise]   1800 pesos for a year is cheap ! and thats for the whole family 

stagger

I am not employed by Blue Cross, they are like any Insurance Company, shifty but they do pay out on legitimate claims. 

Like all Insurance Policies you need to read or get someone to explain the fine print in the Policy.

Here is a list of what is and what is not covered in the first year (qualifying period).

Pre-Existing Condition & Diseases Covered.pdf

Now fire away boys!

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon
Re pre existing conditions - before i renewed i ran everything i could think of that could possibly be used against me in the future as a pre-existing condition  by the company - and they agreed that everything that I asked about  was not a pre existing cond.

Agreed verbally? Fat chance of that doing you any good when it comes down to business. I've been there and done it man and I am younger than most on this forum and have zero chronic health problems. I get a cold once or twice a year.  They are a complete sham and I have lost all confidence in them. 

God forbid you die, do you really think they will be paying your bill? I wouldn't put any faith in it. I have had Blue Cross representatives lie to my face. Point blank, no questions, no misunderstandings, they lied to me. I would rather leave my widow with instructions to leave my rotting corpse behind as collateral in the hospital and board the next plane out of the Philippines and live happily ever after!

Edited by Monsoon
Borinquen

Ugh... Finding health insurance here sux! Just as i was about to sign up for Blue Cross for the fam. I have Aetna in the states, but dropped Cigna thinking i could get some decent health insurance here. Back to the drawing board....

Davaoeno

Agreed verbally?

nope- in writing .   Who ever asks for just  a verbal  assurance in a business contract ??

enoonmai

OP (and anyone interested in the topic) - I’m not getting into a pissing match with any of the “regulars” here, I’ll just give you my first-hand experience with Blue Cross Philippines. I’ve had in-patient coverage from BC for my family and me for the past 3 years. I’ve had 3 claims in that time, one for me the other for family members. One claim in 2011 was in the neighborhood of p1.5 million. I don’t know exactly how much it was because the entire bill was paid by Blue Cross, minus a few incidentals that they don’t cover. All medications and aftercare were paid in full, either in advance or by reimbursement within 15 business days (from memory). In all 3 cases the Blue Cross rep came to the hospital and handled everything. I have never even filled out a claim form. There were a few hiccups but, bottom line, they were there when I needed them.

Edit - removed rep's name.

Edited by enoonmai
  • Like 4
Enuff

I am not employed by Blue Cross, they are like any Insurance Company, shifty but they do pay out on legitimate claims. 

Like all Insurance Policies you need to read or get someone to explain the fine print in the Policy.

Here is a list of what is and what is not covered in the first year (qualifying period).

attachicon.gifPre-Existing Condition & Diseases Covered.pdf

Now fire away boys!

stagger - are you an expat?

if so, obviously you work for an insurance brokerage in the RP

what is the BEST medical insurance available for the RP for an expat (IYHO)?

as far as costs go which company offers the best value for the price?

preexisting conditions - is any company better or worse that the others?

maybe you can provide some new information to me and others.

thanks

ancienrocka

Yes, I took over as the agent for the brokers from Stagger when he moved back to Luzon.

I do not try to "sell" insurance as I have in the past had personal bad experiences with insurance companies both in Australia and in the UK. I don't "recommend" blue Cross BUT I do use the company for my own personal insurance and for that of my family; I personally have had no issues with my claims. I can also verify Economai's history of no problems.

However in the 2 years I've been handling the brokerage in Cebu, I have had 2 clients who weren't happy that their claims were rejected. Maybe one of them is one of the posters on this thread - I really don't know.

Insurance companies base their prices on risk assessment and rely on the honesty of the person applying when fixing the price and terms. In the UK they rely on they legal principle of Uberrimae Fides which is a Latin phrase meaning "utmost good faith". It is the name of a legal doctrine which governs insurance contracts. This means that all parties to an insurance contract must deal in good faith, making a full declaration of all material facts in the insurance proposal. This contrasts with the legal doctrine "caveat emptor" (let the buyer beware).

As the insurance company defines it, "a pre-existing condition" is something that existed BEFORE the parties entered into the contract of insurance, whether the person seeking insurance was aware of it or not. You may have had a tumour growing inside your body for several years before you took out insurance which is discovered one week after signing - this would not be covered.

Whatever any one else feels, I am happy to know that MOST of my medical issues will be covered by my insurance.

As Davaoeno says, make sure you get things in writing before signing and if someone lies to you about the policy, follow it up with the company.

Edited by ancienrocka
  • Like 3
lopburi3

As the insurance company defines it, "a pre-existing condition" is something that existed BEFORE the parties entered into the contract of insurance, whether the person seeking insurance was aware of it or not. You may have had a tumour growing inside your body for several years before you took out insurance which is discovered one week after signing - this would not be covered.

And that definition could be used to decline payment for virtually anything - as long as the insurance company has more lawyer funds.  Wiki lists below is the normal US definitions (which are bad enough):

Most insurance companies use one of two definitions to identify such conditions. Under the "objective standard" definition, a pre-existing condition is any condition for which the patient has already received medical advice or treatment prior to enrollment in a new medical insurance plan. Under the broader, "prudent person" definition, a pre-existing condition is anything for which symptoms were present and a prudent person would have sought treatment.

Currently, 10 states do not specify either definition, 21 require the "prudent person" standard, and 18 require the "objective" standard