Water shortages - rationing - what are your coping strategies?

Ozepete

We  needed water to a new project.

Last year here in Oz we applied for 'town water' connection as the pipe is running past our front boundary. The local water authority sent a quote which was Meter $280.00, fit Meter 240.00 and (cop this!) $2380.00 fo new account fee! 

I had no problems with the meter and fitting but when I called and asked WTF was the $2380 all about, what do I get for that money, I was told it was because it was a new connection even though we were already customers with accounts at other addresses. I suggested to the authority that as this is nothing more than highly organised theft or corruption, I won't be contributing and ended up putting in our own bore which cost a bit to install but the water is better and cost is less than a third. So we win in the long run, bloody thieves. 

• Like 2
Hy H

Last year here in Oz we applied for 'town water' connection as the pipe is running past our front boundary. The local water authority sent a quote which was Meter $280.00, fit Meter 240.00 and (cop this!) $2380.00 fo new account fee! 

I had no problems with the meter and fitting but when I called and asked WTF was the $2380 all about, what do I get for that money, I was told it was because it was a new connection even though we were already customers with accounts at other addresses. I suggested to the authority that as this is nothing more than highly organised theft or corruption, I won't be contributing and ended up putting in our own bore which cost a bit to install but the water is better and cost is less than a third. So we win in the long run, bloody thieves. 

From my past experience about this kind of thing in Oz. Do not be surprised if they threaten to penalise you for stealing their water by using your own bore as they have crucified already so many people collecting rainwater in their own dug up dams. 

Hy H

How sustainable is water storage and supply lines in Cebu to cater for all this current development that is goin on.   Every fire that has been in the news lately, Fire department has had issues with lack of water pressure in hydrants.   

easy44

My understanding is that the water table in Cebu is dropping dramatically.  A friend has a business in Talamban and has had to redrill his well twice because they kept running out of water.  While there may possibly be untapped sources of water on the island, there doesn't seem to be anyone pursuing them, other than  occasional articles in the newspaper.  Another example of the poor planning going on with regard to runaway growth.

Ozepete

From my past experience about this kind of thing in Oz. Do not be surprised if they threaten to penalise you for stealing their water by using your own bore as they have crucified already so many people collecting rainwater in their own dug up dams. 

Not a problem HH, Ground water (bores and dams) is handled by a different mob and we have a license from them and can legally pump 2 Megaliters per year. Overall cost including license/ power/ maintenance is less than 28c / kilo to pump our own compared to 1.27c/ kl from the bandits!

Edited by Headshot
Removed duplicate quote
  • Like 1
Headshot

I had a well dug around 3 to 4 years ago, 60 ft deep but needed a 1.5 hp pump to pump vertically 100 ft to reservoir tank(500 lts). At the time we had been disconnected from the neighboring barangay supply (politics) as we were deemed not to be in the barangay. It was fine but the wife who moans continually about the cost of electricity only used it sparingly. When we were connected to the mains supply from Sagay ( Camiguin) she stopped using it altogether.  As a result the pump seized up and the armature windings burnt out. Now our mains supply is about as much use as a piss in a pint pot have to get a new pump. Moral of the story, always run a maintenance test on a pump once a week to prevent it from seizing up.   

I have to disagree. The moral of the story is that if you install a cheap pump, it will burn up on you. Our pump went out on us ten years after it was installed. That is probably normal for house-sized water pumps. Water pump bearings should be sealed, so there isn't a lot of maintenance possible on the pump (other than keeping it relatively clean). However, you DO need to talk with your wife, and tell her to use the water...because the well is your only source of water. Pumping water does take electricity. However, that is a small price to pay for a reliable water supply and total independence from a flaky municipal water distribution system where they can (and do) shut down your water supply at a whim. Water rationing? What is that?

Headshot

My understanding is that the water table in Cebu is dropping dramatically.  A friend has a business in Talamban and has had to redrill his well twice because they kept running out of water.  While there may possibly be untapped sources of water on the island, there doesn't seem to be anyone pursuing them, other than  occasional articles in the newspaper.  Another example of the poor planning going on with regard to runaway growth.

The water table for our well hasn't dropped at all here in Mandaue. All water for the Metro Cebu area is supplied by MCWD, and they have a lot of wells, but I think most are up in the hills. Our well is drilled 50 feet below the water table (50 feet of standing water in the pipe), which is the same as when it was drilled, so I doubt we will ever have a problem with our well. If you strike water at a certain depth and only drill a few more feet (which is common here), you will be redrilling the well at some point if the water table drops.

Edited by Headshot
govoner

You dont know how lucky you are $12000 in Auckland NZ

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/super-city/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501110&objectid=11263525

Knowdafish

If you strike water at a certain depth and only drill a few more feet (which is common here), you will be redrilling the well at some point if the water table drops.

The same goes if you are foolish enough to drill in the rainy season and think when you have hit water this is the level it is usually at, when in the dry season it could easily be 10 feet lower. 

• Like 1
Headshot

The same goes if you are foolish enough to drill in the rainy season and think when you have hit water this is the level it is usually at, when in the dry season it could easily be 10 feet lower. 

If the water level in a well fluctuates ten feet between wet and dry season, then you are tapping shallow ground water rather than tapping an actual aquifer. To reach a true aquifer, you must drill through at least one layer of impermeable rock. If you do that, the only thing that will affect water level in the well is how fast the water is being drawn out. Aquifers container "old" water rather than "new" water. In other words, in a true aquifer, it can take many years for water from the surface to reach the location where your well is drawing water. Any water you strike before the drill has breached at least one impermeable layer of rock does not count. If you tap the shallow water, you will be sorry at some point. "New" water is much more susceptible to biological and chemical contamination, since it can take less than a year for water to soak in from the surface to the area above the first impermeable rock layer. The reason you "case" a drill hole is so that "new" water from above the impermeable rock layer will not infiltrate through the well hole into the "old" water in the true aquifer below. If there is a transfer of water, you are much more likely to get contamination in the aquifer (and in your well).

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 2

We started out with a 1800 gal. concrete tank to hold water from the municipal water system it started out getting maybe 30 to 40 gals a night avg. then it went to zip. The mayor started sending the fire truck around to supply people with water but the fire truck spent half the time being repaired. So we built a 7500 gal. concrete tank. Our roof is 3048 sq. ft. so we catch 1828 gals. per inch of rainfall. problem solved.

• Like 1
contraman

So we built a 7500 gal. concrete tank

That's 1 mother of a tank

thebob

Collecting water is easy, the problem is that tanks are expensive. If I could find some reasonable tanks I'd install a storage system. Presently I can carry a couple of cubic in my truck but it means scrounging up some polytanks.

ellenbrook2001

So this week no water supply for past 36 hours, rest of weeks, 4pm to 6 am only . Rumours are might continue most of the summer, and if El Nido then rest of year. Texted my friend in Cebu and there, neighbours no water for a week.

So whats the best coping strategy, - buy lots of jerry cans, have a well with working pump ( i have but pumped f..ked), limit bathing to a bucket a day etc.piss in the garden so not to use CR water, girls only one shampoo a week, only one pot of tea a day) build a desalination plant. ?

god sake what they are doing when his raining down by bucket? does PHILIPPINE have a system how to catch water or they do not care just pray his going to rain??????????