• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

miles-high

Or is it?

1.png  :cold: 

If we use the solar panels to pave the freeways, highways, roadways to power the cars, solar airplanes and ships, would the sun die sooner?  :D

Paul

This was posted recently. 

This is also a pipe dream. 

David_LivinginTalisay

Many streets in China have LED Street lighting, powered by batteries, charged by Dual renewable energy sources Wind Power generator and PV solar Panel.

SOLAR_AND_WIND_POWER_LED_STREET_LIGHT.jp  LED-Street-Light-LED-Street-Lighting-LU4 CE-RoHS-IP65-Power-Supply-Fixture-LED-St
 2014-New-Design-50-160W-LED-Street-Light 0_1372227838890_l.jpg CE-RoHS-IP65-Power-Supply-Fixture-LED-St

20131151443361636.JPG cCE-RoHS-IP65-Power-Supply-Fixture-LED-St

Wind_Solar_Hybrid_Street_Lighting_System  Multifunction_Wind_and_Solar_Hybird_LED_

647984676_043.jpg

Paul

Many streets in China have LED Street lighting, powered by batteries, charged by Dual renewable energy sources Wind Power generator and PV solar Panel.

That's fine. However, the collectors are not in the streets and subject to tons and tons of pressure, skidding tires and other loads that have not been considered, to be placed upon them. The failure rate alone, would be out of this world.

• Like 1
David_LivinginTalisay

That's fine. However, the collectors are not in the streets and subject to tons and tons of pressure, skidding tires and other loads that have not been considered, to be placed upon them. The failure rate alone, would be out of this world.

I am in China, so that YouTube of the OP does not show here (unless you have a VPN or Proxy Server! I use the Free Demo Mode of Identity Cloaker to access Facebook, but alas no YouTube unless one takes out a Subscription - with 25% Voucher Discount).

Sorry if I did not address that crazy idea of having solar powered collectors mounted on the streets /pavements themselves!

Totally impractical for many reasons, even if it could be done technically!  

For one thing you would lose output as vehicles create shadows, then there is dirt, grime, snow etc decreasing efficiency.  

Then there is potential mechanical damage from HGV's such as lorries, buses etc (as Paul just stated)!

I showed a practical approach, that is being used in many parts of China (and now being used in some other Countries).

Edited by David_LivinginTalisay
Paul

I believe the idea of adding solar arrays to existing and future covered parking areas, would be great. Flat roofs on the top of industrial plants will hold quite a number of panels as well. 

Have them has hybrid or grid-tied systems, and they will add quite a bit back into the grid, on sunny days. 

• Like 1
fred42

Personally,I think its a brilliant idea... All of the problems that you correctly identify can be engineered away over time.

Where there`s a will,there's a way. 

I particularly like the idea of the LEDS melting snow.. Brilliant!

Paul

Personally,I think its a brilliant idea... All of the problems that you correctly identify can be engineered away over time.

Where there`s a will,there's a way. 

I particularly like the idea of the LEDS melting snow.. Brilliant!

The monies that would need to be put into research and development, the strength of the modules laid into the road, the shading issues, which involved vehicles, trees, homes, lamp and sign posts? Remember now, a small amount of shading, even just on the corner of a solar panel, will cause that panel's output to drop like a rock. Can't get past shading, even if you solve the other issues - like 100 ton trucks rolling across them. 

Definitely, there are better, more efficient, lest costly ways to produce power by solar arrays.

thebob

First cover all of the roofs. It's cheaper and produces power closer to the consumer.

• Like 1
Mikala

First cover all of the roofs. It's cheaper and produces power closer to the consumer.

PLUS, it will make the roofing materials last longer if 100% coverage and installed properly... Win, win!!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
sandwindstars

SOLAR_AND_WIND_POWER_LED_STREET_LIGHT.jp   

I saw this type of wind power in a baranggay outside of Puerto Princesa.  On the road, there were these street lights with little windmills.  According to the guide they have power between 6 pm - 12 midnight only because they're farmers and out in the field during the day.  They like to watch their t.v. programs on their flat screen t.v.s.  Was impressed with that baranggay. Also free electricity to the residents.

Edited by sandwindstars
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

closer to the consumer.

and at least a few feet closer to the sun too