Start here to fix VA care in Philipines

Contango

Sorry if I sound rude but the programs we talk about in here are in place for just that reason. All we are asking for is what we have EARNED. Unless you have been through that you can never understand the answer.

ALL GAVE SOME-------SOME GAVE ALL

Just saying, i doubt British or Australian service personal expect or are entitled to foreign medical care, could be wrong but it would certainly be news to me...the US armed forces are a professional fighting force, the draft ended many years ago, you join knowing what the deal is.

I cannot see any justification for Government funded medical services for foreign based US nationals.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thailandphil

• mpt1947

• ex231

• Bill H

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As an update, and to give credit where credit is due, my home state of Indiana has one republican and one democratic U.S. Senator. I sent the message in the previous post to both of them, my house rep

I have to admit I am shocked and very surprised at your post. I can't fathom how a fellow veteran could feel the way you've expressed, but I respect your right to your opinion but we'll just have to a

One option for VA Medical Care here in Asia is Guam. Here in Thailand we have much the same problems. Only medical care available to us is FMP (Foreign Medical Program) but as most of you know that o

Posted Images

Just saying, i doubt British or Australian service personal expect or are entitled to foreign medical care, could be wrong but it would certainly be news to me...the US armed forces are a professional fighting force, the draft ended many years ago, you join knowing what the deal is.

I cannot see any justification for Government funded medical services for foreign based US nationals.

Not sure if you are aware but the United States of America (as not to offend others in countries in north, south or central America) has had the VA in manila since 1922.  this thread is not "hey why cant we have free medical in the Philippines" it is about FIXING something that is and has been government funded for many years.

Please correct me if  i am wrong but i believe the VA is now on embassy soil making it US controlled.

thailandphil

Sorry if I came across sounding that way but I get that same question form our own people and it just rubs me wrong way. I apologize

Yes I did volunteer----Yes I did volunteer for Vietnam----Yes I did volunteer for infantry----Yes I did pay a great price as did many others

I am not complaining about that I am just asking the government to honor their end of the agreement.

We are getting off topic and for that I do apologize to the room. I’m just an old grumpy fart and lets just leave it at that

Headshot

I think the only reason the VA is here at all is that prior to the bases closing back in 1992, it was relatively simple for Filipinos to join the US military and use that as a route to US citizenship. After the bases closed, all of that went away, so in the future there will be less and less Filipinos around who served in the US military. Most of those Filipino veterans have retired or are getting close to retirement. The VA clinic is here because of the Filipino veterans. The VA couldn't care less about expats, and if it was just expats living here, there wouldn't be a VA clinic. Expats get to use it, but nobody should feel like the VA will be around to serve veterans in the Philippines once the number of Filipino veterans is reduced significantly.

• Like 2
Baywak

The only way to fix the VA is to let all vets use outside private care.Turn the VA's into condo's.

• Like 1
thailandphil

There is a little known - to everyone except the Manila OPC - rule that allows the OPC to run differently then other VA OPC and VAMC it is:

§ 17.35 Hospital care and medical services in foreign countries.

The Secretary may furnish hospital care and medical services to any veteran sojourning or residing outside the United States, without regard to the veteran's citizenship:

(a) If necessary for treatment of a service-connected disability, or any disability associated with and held to be aggravating a service-connected disability;

(b) If the care is furnished to a veteran participating in a rehabilitation program under 38 U.S.C. chapter 31 who requires care for the reasons enumerated in 38 CFR 17.47(i)(2).

(Authority: 38 U.S.C. 1724)

[55 FR 11370, Mar. 28, 1990. Redesignated at 61 FR 21965, May 13, 1996, as amended at74 FR 30228, June 25, 2009]

This is, as you can see, very ambiguous, but it is what Manila uses to justify treating only Service Connected and then only those issues that make up your service connection.  Your congressional delegations can be shocked - but there isn't much they can do about it, unless they change the law - 

I have a friend here in Cebu that is 100% - 70% PTSD and 30% Unemployability.  If he was in the US and started suffering chest pains, the VA would admit him to a hospital and treat him.  Here in the Philippines - tough luck - that is one reason he is looking at getting himself and his wife back to the US.  I am lucky in some regards, I am 100% as well, but my disabilities are spread over a wide variety of issues - Heart, Neuropathy, Sleep disorders, Diabetes, but if I end up in the Hospital I have to be creative and tie whatever brought me into the hospital back to my disabilities in order to get the VA to pay for it.

My wife owns a number of businesses and I am encouraging her to buy a group health insurance policy and add me to it so I can be covered for what the VA won't pay - I also keep a little something in the bank so if I do have to go back to the US - I have it.

Not very encouraging, 

Mike

PS - watch this space for updates - can't say anymore than that at this time

Mike I am aware of programs in Voc-Rehab. Mostly they are to do with getting you back to work so your friend with unemployabilty it would be bad for him becouse he could go under 100%----There is a section in there that may help some and that Quality of Life program--Wheelchairs--remodling house for disabilities ect ect basicly anything that would make life little easier---One I'm looking at is ---- Home health care---They will cover cost of nurse or even your wife and maybe even some extra medical care. As you know its all hard to understand they make it that way so it hard to apply---Next time you or someone you know goes to va there have them ask about it---Dont know if you need to apply in USA or if they can do it there--Would like to know that becouse if I do go there would need elect wheelchair to get arround. Anyway just keep digging and maybe we can get help through other chanels----Thanks Bro

thailandphil

Mike I am aware of programs in Voc-Rehab. Mostly they are to do with getting you back to work so your friend with unemployabilty it would be bad for him becouse he could go under 100%----There is a section in there that may help some and that Quality of Life program--Wheelchairs--remodling house for disabilities ect ect basicly anything that would make life little easier---One I'm looking at is ---- Home health care---They will cover cost of nurse or even your wife and maybe even some extra medical care. As you know its all hard to understand they make it that way so it hard to apply---Next time you or someone you know goes to va there have them ask about it---Dont know if you need to apply in USA or if they can do it there--Would like to know that becouse if I do go there would need elect wheelchair to get arround. Anyway just keep digging and maybe we can get help through other chanels----Thanks Bro

Forgot to mention these programs doesnt have to be related to your service connected disabilites all you need to be is 100%---Friend of mine who has same rating as your friend---70% PTSD and 30% unemployability---he got a new computer under that program

Bill H

Bill, I have had my Service Connected issues addressed very well.  In the last two years I have found myself being admitted to the Cebu Doctors Hospital via the ER and the VA has picked up the tab for everything other than a room upgrade.  I won't disagree that it is often a pain in the ass to fly to Manila to see a couple of docs in a the course of a couple of hours and fly back - I have a new PCP and hopefully things will get better.

Consider yourself very fortunate.  Most of us do not have such good experiences or results with the VA.

Bill H

When you live in the PH there are really two VA's.  There is the VA in the States which will take care of your medical needs (we won't address the competency or quality of that care in this post) and there is the VA in the PH which is almost like a wholly different organization.  In the States there is never a question of what you are service related for (if you are not service related then you have to pay a small fee for meds and care, but if you are service related over 30 or 50% everything is free...sorry I don't remember if it's 30 or 50% those days a very far behind me).  In the PH the VA seems to look for any and all reasons to deny you care, even basic care.  Meds I can get in the States are not available here.  Requests for care are routinely denied because they are not specified in my service connection rating, even things that are clearly related, but since they are not specifically included in the rating, result in no care here.  The example given about chest pains is very true in the States, it's happened to me.  Here?  Go somewhere else and die, the VA will not lift a finger.  That is the way it is if you live here.  I guess they feel you are free to live here or go back to the States, so if you don't like the VA service here, go home and get treatment.  The rub is, it can take months to get specialty appointments in the States, so flying home for a month generally won't even get you your first appointment.  And that is the way it is with VA health care here.

• Like 3
thailandphil

I noticed a few post on meds and would like to pass on this info. If you are 100% and I believe retirees can also use APO (Armed Forces Post Office) at local Embassy. This is for government use only not personal mail. I get my meds from VA that way and my wife gets hers from Champ VA because Thailand has law prohibiting medication being sent in. It also helps out when you are writing to congressman and such. They tend to read your emails or letter when they see your return address is C/O US Embassy. Have known of few vets who has gotten meds from scrip’s written form Doc outside of VA but they had to bitch to Patients Advocate at VA in USA. I do know they have a limit on how many can use it and like here there is a waiting list. I have been getting my stuff for years that way. You would haft to ask Embassy there but you would haft to pick up mail at Embassy or have someone pick it up for you. That can be worked out.

Bill H

I noticed a few post on meds and would like to pass on this info. If you are 100% and I believe retirees can also use APO (Armed Forces Post Office) at local Embassy. This is for government use only not personal mail. I get my meds from VA that way and my wife gets hers from Champ VA because Thailand has law prohibiting medication being sent in. It also helps out when you are writing to congressman and such. They tend to read your emails or letter when they see your return address is C/O US Embassy. Have known of few vets who has gotten meds from scrip’s written form Doc outside of VA but they had to bitch to Patients Advocate at VA in USA. I do know they have a limit on how many can use it and like here there is a waiting list. I have been getting my stuff for years that way. You would haft to ask Embassy there but you would haft to pick up mail at Embassy or have someone pick it up for you. That can be worked out.

Maybe that works if you live in Manila, but when you don't?  It's a long swim from Mindanao to Luzon, don't you know?

thailandphil

Maybe that works if you live in Manila, but when you don't?  It's a long swim from Mindanao to Luzon, don't you know?

Its even a longer swim from Thailand where I live lol.
thailandphil

Did some checking boatman and there is a American Consular office in Cebu. They to may be able to offer APO. I get my mail at American consular in Chiang Mai and Embassy is in Bangkok. Cant say for sure if they offer this benafit but it wort a look see. The American Consular Agency is located on the ground floor of the Waterfront Hotel at #1 Salinas Drive, Lahug, Cebu City. The local telephone number is (32) 231-1261.
Headshot

Phil, we have an FPO address in Cebu. You just have to join RAO. The US Consul offers no mail services. However, whereas Bill lives in CDO on Mindanao, he is still a long way away from Cebu.

mpt1947

There will be a VA Outreach here in Cebu on September 12th.  Remind me if you can about the first of September, and I will bring the question up during the Town Hall Meeting portion of the Out Reach