Start here to fix VA care in Philipines

thailandphil

VA Non-Service Connected Disability Pension

This is a rarely used pension that the VA doesn’t talk about much. I dug this up because of post from veteran in here saying he only had 10% service connected disability and medical condition that was server but not service connected. It is a very relaxed plan that only needs 3 conditions (such as arthritis-heart problems-high blood pressure ect) and low income to qualify. It don’t pay much, about a $1000 a mo + extra for dependents-home health care ect ect. It pays in conjunction with but not on top of any other $ you may receive from VA. They pay which is more. Good part is that the conditions they use will be “adjudicated” same as service connected and medical care will be given with same priority as service connected disabilities. In other words VA will let u get medical.

I know this because I was on this pension awaiting my service connected claim. When I returned to Thailand I signed up for FMP (VA Foreign Medical Plan) Kind of like what you are under in Philippines. The conditions I use show up as covered along with my service connected conditions. Same Same

This is very confusing to explain so research it and talk to your SO about it.

http://www.benefits.va.gov/pension/ 

https://www.cfda.gov/index?s=program&mode=form&tab=core&id=bfe3433d662ff3aad6f457e1f062eb2d

Two other tid-bits to keep in mind

VA may authorize foreign medical services for Veterans only for a VA rated service-connected condition or ”for a condition that is associated with and aggravated by a VA rated service-connected condition.”

http://www.benefits.gov/benefits/benefit-details/567

The preponderance of the evidence standard leads directly to another important rule, known as the "benefit of the doubt" rule. The law requires that, after consideration of all the evidence, if there is an approximate balance of positive and negative evidence, the benefit of the doubt in resolving each such issue should be given to the claimant. In other words, if VA finds that the evidence is equally divided between evidence supporting a claim and evidence against a claim, such as two conflicting medical opinions, the claimant gets the benefit of the positive evidence. For this reason, the rule is also known as the "tie goes to the runner" rule, where the claimant is the runner.

http://helpdesk.vetsfirst.org/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=1781

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thailandphil

• mpt1947

• ex231

• Bill H

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As an update, and to give credit where credit is due, my home state of Indiana has one republican and one democratic U.S. Senator. I sent the message in the previous post to both of them, my house rep

I have to admit I am shocked and very surprised at your post. I can't fathom how a fellow veteran could feel the way you've expressed, but I respect your right to your opinion but we'll just have to a

One option for VA Medical Care here in Asia is Guam. Here in Thailand we have much the same problems. Only medical care available to us is FMP (Foreign Medical Program) but as most of you know that o

Posted Images

ex231

Just saw your response and thanks!

Unfortunately I'm still screwed t

VA Non-Service Connected Disability Pension

This is a rarely used pension that the VA doesn’t talk about much. I dug this up because of post from veteran in here saying he only had 10% service connected disability and medical condition that was server but not service connected. It is a very relaxed plan that only needs 3 conditions (such as arthritis-heart problems-high blood pressure ect) and low income to qualify. It don’t pay much, about a $1000 a mo + extra for dependents-home health care ect ect. It pays in conjunction with but not on top of any other $ you may receive from VA. They pay which is more. Good part is that the conditions they use will be “adjudicated” same as service connected and medical care will be given with same priority as service connected disabilities. In other words VA will let u get medical.

I know this because I was on this pension awaiting my service connected claim. When I returned to Thailand I signed up for FMP (VA Foreign Medical Plan) Kind of like what you are under in Philippines. The conditions I use show up as covered along with my service connected conditions. Same Same

This is very confusing to explain so research it and talk to your SO about it.

http://www.benefits.va.gov/pension/ 

https://www.cfda.gov/index?s=program&mode=form&tab=core&id=bfe3433d662ff3aad6f457e1f062eb2d

Two other tid-bits to keep in mind

VA may authorize foreign medical services for Veterans only for a VA rated service-connected condition or ”for a condition that is associated with and aggravated by a VA rated service-connected condition.”

http://www.benefits.gov/benefits/benefit-details/567

The preponderance of the evidence standard leads directly to another important rule, known as the "benefit of the doubt" rule. The law requires that, after consideration of all the evidence, if there is an approximate balance of positive and negative evidence, the benefit of the doubt in resolving each such issue should be given to the claimant. In other words, if VA finds that the evidence is equally divided between evidence supporting a claim and evidence against a claim, such as two conflicting medical opinions, the claimant gets the benefit of the positive evidence. For this reason, the rule is also known as the "tie goes to the runner" rule, where the claimant is the runner.

http://helpdesk.vetsfirst.org/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=1781

Sorry for the late reply, just saw your post. Unfortunately I'm afraid I'm still screwed. Hard to tie a blown out disk in your back to hearing loss lol. With drugs I can still walk and they pretty much told me last visit in the US to call them if I couldn't walk or if I shit myself. I only get the odd skid mark from time to time. Doubt I'd pass the low income test either sooo ... Right now I have yet another issue and I'm weighing paying out of pocket or a minimum $3K trip back to the US and who knows how long of a wait to get the problem corrected .. or diagnosed even.

• 2 weeks later...
thailandphil

As I have said things here in Thailand really going downhill. I am thinking more about moving to Cebu and leaving everything behind (Wife included). My question is in regards to health care insurance. Obvious I won’t get much help from VA even though I'm 100%,so how about private insurance? Can anyone clue me in on good place to look for insurance plan for older person (65) with some existing disability? Thanks for any help.

Phil

ex231

As I have said things here in Thailand really going downhill. I am thinking more about moving to Cebu and leaving everything behind (Wife included). My question is in regards to health care insurance. Obvious I won’t get much help from VA even though I'm 100%,so how about private insurance? Can anyone clue me in on good place to look for insurance plan for older person (65) with some existing disability? Thanks for any help.

Phil

Phil as far as I know VA in Manila will take care of you if you're 100% .. and FU if you're not  :idontknow:  I have been talking to my congressman's office and she was astounded to learn that if you're not 100% or the problem is not directly service connected you can die on the sidewalk for all they care. Maybe if the word gets out things might change?

mpt1947

Phil as far as I know VA in Manila will take care of you if you're 100% .. and FU if you're not  :idontknow:  I have been talking to my congressman's office and she was astounded to learn that if you're not 100% or the problem is not directly service connected you can die on the sidewalk for all they care. Maybe if the word gets out things might change?

There is a little known - to everyone except the Manila OPC - rule that allows the OPC to run differently then other VA OPC and VAMC it is:

§ 17.35 Hospital care and medical services in foreign countries.

The Secretary may furnish hospital care and medical services to any veteran sojourning or residing outside the United States, without regard to the veteran's citizenship:
(a) If necessary for treatment of a service-connected disability, or any disability associated with and held to be aggravating a service-connected disability;
(b) If the care is furnished to a veteran participating in a rehabilitation program under 38 U.S.C. chapter 31 who requires care for the reasons enumerated in 38 CFR 17.47(i)(2).
(Authority: 38 U.S.C. 1724)
[55 FR 11370, Mar. 28, 1990. Redesignated at 61 FR 21965, May 13, 1996, as amended at74 FR 30228, June 25, 2009]

This is, as you can see, very ambiguous, but it is what Manila uses to justify treating only Service Connected and then only those issues that make up your service connection.  Your congressional delegations can be shocked - but there isn't much they can do about it, unless they change the law - 

I have a friend here in Cebu that is 100% - 70% PTSD and 30% Unemployability.  If he was in the US and started suffering chest pains, the VA would admit him to a hospital and treat him.  Here in the Philippines - tough luck - that is one reason he is looking at getting himself and his wife back to the US.  I am lucky in some regards, I am 100% as well, but my disabilities are spread over a wide variety of issues - Heart, Neuropathy, Sleep disorders, Diabetes, but if I end up in the Hospital I have to be creative and tie whatever brought me into the hospital back to my disabilities in order to get the VA to pay for it.

My wife owns a number of businesses and I am encouraging her to buy a group health insurance policy and add me to it so I can be covered for what the VA won't pay - I also keep a little something in the bank so if I do have to go back to the US - I have it.

Not very encouraging, 

Mike

PS - watch this space for updates - can't say anymore than that at this time
Edited by mpt1947
ex231

Mike I understand and I was aware of that law, code, staute, or whatever it is but you're right in that mostly only the Manila OPC is aware of it. I was also told, maybe by you, that the OPC is there primarily to treat filipino WWII vets. I'm wondering if the Manila OPC might start singing a different tune when all of them die off? As I understand it a great number of the filipino "soldiers" were cooks, house boys and other non combat related personnel. Maybe I'm wrong but I thought the US was here to purge the Japanese from their country, so I'm not sure how it came to be that we should take them on to raise but that's another story.

Anyway a congressional inquiry has been opened on my behalf in regards to not being able to be seen by Manila OPC because I don't meet THEIR criteria. VA health care is a hot potato right now and I think it's a good time for everyone to write their congressman and make some noise. Congress makes the laws. maybe they can change them too. One thing is certain, sitting on our asses won't get anything done :-(

• Like 1
Contango

Just wondering, how is it that American citizens expect medical assistance provided by the US government when living outside the USA?

• Like 1
ex231

Just wondering, how is it that American citizens expect medical assistance provided by the US government when living outside the USA?

Maybe we're just demanding like that?

JSL-USMC

It's probably much cheaper for the VA to operate a clinic here in the Ph than in the States. They use all Filipino doctors and staff and I'm sure they are not paying them $100K 

• Like 1
Bill H

I have been talking to my congressman's office and she was astounded to learn that if you're not 100% or the problem is not directly service connected you can die on the sidewalk for all they care.

You are misinformed.  Even if you are 100% SC you still can't get any care in Manila unless it is directly for your SC condition and even then, it's not so easy to do.  About the only thing you can get is some medications.  The apothecary at the VA pharmacy in Manila is small and limited, so if they don't have what you need, too bad.  If it's for a SC condition then maybe they will get it for you.  All in all, there seems to be little motivation in Manila to do anything but the minimal care for any veteran.  That has been my experience and I'm 100% SC.

• Like 1
mpt1947

Actually it is just Veterans that are making the demands - Joe Blow Citizen doesn't have access to the VA or Foreign Medical Program (outside of the Philippines)

mpt1947

You are misinformed.  Even if you are 100% SC you still can't get any care in Manila unless it is directly for your SC condition and even then, it's not so easy to do.  About the only thing you can get is some medications.  The apothecary at the VA pharmacy in Manila is small and limited, so if they don't have what you need, too bad.  If it's for a SC condition then maybe they will get it for you.  All in all, there seems to be little motivation in Manila to do anything but the minimal care for any veteran.  That has been my experience and I'm 100% SC.

Bill, I have had my Service Connected issues addressed very well.  In the last two years I have found myself being admitted to the Cebu Doctors Hospital via the ER and the VA has picked up the tab for everything other than a room upgrade.  I won't disagree that it is often a pain in the ass to fly to Manila to see a couple of docs in a the course of a couple of hours and fly back - I have a new PCP and hopefully things will get better.

Edited by mpt1947
mpt1947

Mike I understand and I was aware of that law, code, staute, or whatever it is but you're right in that mostly only the Manila OPC is aware of it. I was also told, maybe by you, that the OPC is there primarily to treat filipino WWII vets. I'm wondering if the Manila OPC might start singing a different tune when all of them die off? As I understand it a great number of the filipino "soldiers" were cooks, house boys and other non combat related personnel. Maybe I'm wrong but I thought the US was here to purge the Japanese from their country, so I'm not sure how it came to be that we should take them on to raise but that's another story.

Anyway a congressional inquiry has been opened on my behalf in regards to not being able to be seen by Manila OPC because I don't meet THEIR criteria. VA health care is a hot potato right now and I think it's a good time for everyone to write their congressman and make some noise. Congress makes the laws. maybe they can change them too. One thing is certain, sitting on our asses won't get anything done :-(

Here is a good article on what the Filipino Vets have had to put up with for the last 60+ years  http://content.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1992972,00.html  This is from Time Magazine there are other articles that are written from the Philippine press and the light that is shined on the US is less bright.  As the article indicates the non American citizens got a lump sum of $9,000 while the American Citizens got $15,000

As for Filipinos being seen at the Clinic, all are American Citizens and all are Service Connected, just like the Americans.  For the most part these are not WWII Vets, but from the Korean, Vietnam and more recent Desert Wars  - are they orderlies, Cooks etc - I don't know but lets not get into a pissing match about who's service was more important then someone else's - we all were called to serve, whether drafted or enlisted - after that it was someone else's decision on what we did.

ex231

As for Filipinos being seen at the Clinic, all are American Citizens and all are Service Connected, just like the Americans.

What a profound statement.

My bladder is full but this is neither the time nor the thread.

thailandphil

Hummmmmmmm -----Just wondering how is it that American citizens are expected to FIGHT AND DIE for their country outside the USA ????

Sorry if I sound rude but the programs we talk about in here are in place for just that reason. All we are asking for is what we have EARNED. Unless you have been through that you can never understand the answer.

ALL GAVE SOME-------SOME GAVE ALL