Start here to fix VA care in Philipines

lamoe

#Surge

watched Montel again and he stressed the importance of getting care for Vietnam vets.

Guys - send him a message - all of us - every day - takes what two minutes - maybe if he gets a slug of hits with the same plea he might be able to help.

Can't hurt.

1. First visit to VA hospital 1968 it was bad then, it's bad now, time for a #Surge

Edited by lamoe
  • Like 1
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thailandphil

• mpt1947

• ex231

• Bill H

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As an update, and to give credit where credit is due, my home state of Indiana has one republican and one democratic U.S. Senator. I sent the message in the previous post to both of them, my house rep

I have to admit I am shocked and very surprised at your post. I can't fathom how a fellow veteran could feel the way you've expressed, but I respect your right to your opinion but we'll just have to a

One option for VA Medical Care here in Asia is Guam. Here in Thailand we have much the same problems. Only medical care available to us is FMP (Foreign Medical Program) but as most of you know that o

Posted Images

mpt1947

#Surge

watched Montel again and he stressed the importance of getting care for Vietnam vets.

Guys - send him a message - all of us - every day - takes what two minutes - maybe if he gets a slug of hits with the same plea he might be able to help.

Can't hurt.

1. First visit to VA hospital 1968 it was bad then, it's bad now, time for a #Surge

I don't tweet - how can I just email the man?

• Like 1
lamoe

Here's what I've found - maybe someone else can do better.

@Montel_Williams

#VASURGE

Did find this 

[email protected]

Detail your stories about not beiing treated even though qualified for medical assistance. May do piece on fecked up VA in Philippines also.

dramatic titles get his readers attention - may go against you priniciples but we've learned "nice don't count when your fighting for your life"

​"Help VA is killing us also in Manila"

"We're in the Philippines Neil please save us"

"VA refusing to treat vets in Cebu"

Edited by lamoe
  • 2 weeks later...
thailandphil

One option for VA Medical Care here in Asia is Guam.

Here in Thailand we have much the same problems. Only medical care available to us is FMP (Foreign Medical Program) but as most of you know that only covers what you rated for or aggravated by your Service Connected Disability. They are a pain but getting better after us bitching for years.

So as option did some checking about Guam VA. Here is what I found out.

Yes you can receive VA Medical from clinic—fee basis—or navy hospital.

First your haft to register with them (so they can count you when asking for budget $), you will need DD214 and proof of residency. You can get that by talking to other vets or rent a place for short time. After you are register can change the address.

One big plus is if your condition is more than they can handle they will pay to send you to nearest VA in USA that can. VA at Tripler Army Hospital in Honolulu Hi is where most of them are sent to. Lodging may also be included. $500 round trip to Guam by air and hotel will run about $30 a night and up.

I got most of this information from lady at VA who was sympathetic to our problems so I know it will work. When you go in just ask to be registered, give them info they need and don’t elaborate on the fact that you live in the Philippines.

Know a lot of the veterans there and they are great people willing to help in any way.

There is also a proposed resolution #628 supported by the VFW in DC awaiting decision. In short it calls for ---Expanding the FMP Program to provide all inclusive medical care for 100% DAV overseas. Talk to your local VFW and support this. As soon as I can post new topic I’ll go more into detail. Old and not to computer smart.

Getting anything done over here is a pain as you know so we haft to look at all angles and back doors.     

• Like 3
mpt1947

One option for VA Medical Care here in Asia is Guam.

Here in Thailand we have much the same problems. Only medical care available to us is FMP (Foreign Medical Program) but as most of you know that only covers what you rated for or aggravated by your Service Connected Disability. They are a pain but getting better after us bitching for years.

So as option did some checking about Guam VA. Here is what I found out.

Yes you can receive VA Medical from clinic—fee basis—or navy hospital.

First your haft to register with them (so they can count you when asking for budget $), you will need DD214 and proof of residency. You can get that by talking to other vets or rent a place for short time. After you are register can change the address.

One big plus is if your condition is more than they can handle they will pay to send you to nearest VA in USA that can. VA at Tripler Army Hospital in Honolulu Hi is where most of them are sent to. Lodging may also be included. $500 round trip to Guam by air and hotel will run about $30 a night and up.

I got most of this information from lady at VA who was sympathetic to our problems so I know it will work. When you go in just ask to be registered, give them info they need and don’t elaborate on the fact that you live in the Philippines.

Know a lot of the veterans there and they are great people willing to help in any way.

There is also a proposed resolution #628 supported by the VFW in DC awaiting decision. In short it calls for ---Expanding the FMP Program to provide all inclusive medical care for 100% DAV overseas. Talk to your local VFW and support this. As soon as I can post new topic I’ll go more into detail. Old and not to computer smart.

Getting anything done over here is a pain as you know so we haft to look at all angles and back doors.     

The most current information I have on Guam is from early this year 2014

Guam has a VA Clinic like the Philippines

You can be sent to the Hospital, But the hospital is a Military one, and it is small.  So they have a Priority List

1 Active Duty Military and their Families 

2 Retirees and their Families

3 All other Veterans - based on VA Priority Groups

For me, I am not a Retiree, so the likelihood that I would could be seen in Guam is between slim and none

Your local VFW in Cebu knows as much about FMP as written here.  Will check out Resolution 628

thailandphil

Thanks for telling me there is a priorty list.Was last year when I called them. I thought they had a fee basis program. Hawaii looking better every day.

So truth as far as general medical care in Philippines can you get any help at all. Sceared any serious stuff would wipe me out. I am 100% P&T so know im on top of VA priority list. Damn shame we haft to fight for every little thing.

As far as that FMP know regional VFW passed it last year at meeting there in the Philippines and it went on to DC. Dont know the current stat on it. Your VFW can find out any info on it by contacting our VFW Post 12074 http://vfw-chiangmai.org/ The guy that got this passed was Jay Sapp Quartermaster. He just had serious operation on brain tumor and FMP turned down his request for aid becouse it wasnt directly related to his disability. So it looks like we all be dead and gone before anything is done.

Any info at all on medical would be great. We all in the same boat without a paddle.

The most current information I have on Guam is from early this year 2014

Guam has a VA Clinic like the Philippines

You can be sent to the Hospital, But the hospital is a Military one, and it is small.  So they have a Priority List

1 Active Duty Military and their Families 

2 Retirees and their Families

3 All other Veterans - based on VA Priority Groups

For me, I am not a Retiree, so the likelihood that I would could be seen in Guam is between slim and none

Your local VFW in Cebu knows as much about FMP as written here.  Will check out Resolution 628

ex231

I've said it before and I'll say it again .. I can't believe that there is a VA facility (Manila) that can and does refuse to see DAVs because they are not disabled enough. I can get treatment (on a good day) at any VA in the US but over here I'm hung out to dry. I just hope if I have a health emergency that either it's something that will allow me to travel to Hawaii or else kills me quick.

mpt1947

The current requirements for enrollment at the VA Clinic in Manila

You have to be Service Connected

You will only be treated for those issues that are related to your service connection.

There are rule changes every day, but the latest - Travel will only be reimbursed for disabilities of 30% or more.  If you are 100% but you have an appointment on your hearing that is 10%, your travel will be out of pocket.  

I have also been told that any Meds that are not directly related to your service connection, will to be sent out - I have asked for fee based and have not received a reply yet.  I should point out that my last round of refills included a med that isn't related to a service connection, and I got it.

Regarding Treatment - in the last 12-15 months I have had to be taken to the Hospital here in Cebu 3x the first and last time were heart related and I have a service connection - the VA Paid for everything except the room upgrade.  The other time was a miscommunication between my wife and I she told the VA I had a very high Temp - I was complaining of back pain - which would have been covered by Neuropathy  - the VA refused to cover it - $1200 out of pocket I am appealing that call.

So in a nutshell if you are like a friend of mine who is 70% PTSD and 30% Unemployability, the likelihood that you will be treated for anything else is slim.  If you are like me and have most of your major organs covered you will be in good shape.

On the other hand if you break a bone and it is going to cost a couple hundred dollars, either have local insurance, or pay out of pocket - because you are not going to find a plane ticket back to Hawaii or Conus for under the price of treatment here - if you need hip replacement well then you will need to figure it out.

Another question that comes up a lot is level of treatment - in my 3 stays at Cebu Doctors I have been treated very well and my only complaint would be food - there is only so many ways to prepare chicken other than that - but maybe it has something to do with the two times I was in due to cardiac issues that my life was literally saved in the ER - had I waited to go to the states... well someone else could be responding here.

All in all unless a local doc tells me to go back to the states (two of my docs are on Staff at VA hospitals in the US), I am staying here.

OK now you know what I know - but that doesn't stop me from complaining, writing letters, and trading emails with the local VA

Mike

thailandphil

The current requirements for enrollment at the VA Clinic in Manila

You have to be Service Connected

You will only be treated for those issues that are related to your service connection.

There are rule changes every day, but the latest - Travel will only be reimbursed for disabilities of 30% or more.  If you are 100% but you have an appointment on your hearing that is 10%, your travel will be out of pocket.  

I have also been told that any Meds that are not directly related to your service connection, will to be sent out - I have asked for fee based and have not received a reply yet.  I should point out that my last round of refills included a med that isn't related to a service connection, and I got it.

Regarding Treatment - in the last 12-15 months I have had to be taken to the Hospital here in Cebu 3x the first and last time were heart related and I have a service connection - the VA Paid for everything except the room upgrade.  The other time was a miscommunication between my wife and I she told the VA I had a very high Temp - I was complaining of back pain - which would have been covered by Neuropathy  - the VA refused to cover it - $1200 out of pocket I am appealing that call.[/size]

So in a nutshell if you are like a friend of mine who is 70% PTSD and 30% Unemployability, the likelihood that you will be treated for anything else is slim.  If you are like me and have most of your major organs covered you will be in good shape.

On the other hand if you break a bone and it is going to cost a couple hundred dollars, either have local insurance, or pay out of pocket - because you are not going to find a plane ticket back to Hawaii or Conus for under the price of treatment here - if you need hip replacement well then you will need to figure it out.

Another question that comes up a lot is level of treatment - in my 3 stays at Cebu Doctors I have been treated very well and my only complaint would be food - there is only so many ways to prepare chicken other than that - but maybe it has something to do with the two times I was in due to cardiac issues that my life was literally saved in the ER - had I waited to go to the states... well someone else could be responding here.

All in all unless a local doc tells me to go back to the states (two of my docs are on Staff at VA hospitals in the US), I am staying here.

OK now you know what I know - but that doesn't stop me from complaining, writing letters, and trading emails with the local VA

Mike

Thanks Mike for that post. It answered some of the questions I came to this room to get. Here in Thailand we have even less chance for VA Care. So I am looking at all options because I sure as heck don’t want to go back to USA. I am currently working on plan for all us veterans in Asia to get the help we need now by expanding the services offered in Philippines. No senate bills to be passed nothing just convince VA and others of the dire need for expansion. Talked to few veterans here and we are willing to add our voices and numbers to make this happen. I will post this plan as soon as it’s ready. One thing to remember when dealing with these clowns in DC is------VA is scared of Senators-----Senators are scared of Media----and the Media loves a good Story.

Mike can’t count the number of desk I had to jump up and down on to get what I do have. If we give up you know we will never get anything accomplished. Besides it’s fun to Bitch and raise hell a little.

• Like 1
thailandphil

Space A flights for 100% DAV being reviewed. Especially for medical reasons this could be important because as you know the USA just signed 10 year contract with the Philippine government to put in bases. I’m guessing AF will be one of the first to be installed.

I have known of some Disable Veterans in this area due to Medical Emergency was granted the use of Space A. They had to bitch to a lot of people to get it done but they did.

http://vets.yuku.com/topic/99270/Vets-100-Permanent-Total-To-Travel-Space-A-HR-164

Inside the site you will see click on links to the sponsors and co-sponsors of this bill. That tells me they are sympathetic to veterans and will to do something about it. Good people to send e-mails to not only for support of this bill but also other veteran related problems.

Key to get what you need here in Asia is to be on lookout for these kinds of people. Don’t bother with the rest.  

ex231

Thanks for the informative post Mike.

I'm only rated 10% so my ass is still hanging in the wind here. I'm pretty sure that if I was re evaluated it would go to 20-30% but I'd still be screwed so for me it's not worth the hassle. Fact is if I have a serious health issue here and need immediate care I'm going to die. For now I'm having my friend send me my meds but that's a pretty shakey deal as it's not allowed by the carrier and I often run out and have to buy out of pocket.

mpt1947

Space A flights for 100% DAV being reviewed. Especially for medical reasons this could be important because as you know the USA just signed 10 year contract with the Philippine government to put in bases. I’m guessing AF will be one of the first to be installed.

I have known of some Disable Veterans in this area due to Medical Emergency was granted the use of Space A. They had to bitch to a lot of people to get it done but they did.

http://vets.yuku.com/topic/99270/Vets-100-Permanent-Total-To-Travel-Space-A-HR-164

Inside the site you will see click on links to the sponsors and co-sponsors of this bill. That tells me they are sympathetic to veterans and will to do something about it. Good people to send e-mails to not only for support of this bill but also other veteran related problems.

Key to get what you need here in Asia is to be on lookout for these kinds of people. Don’t bother with the rest.  

Actually most of the work on bases are centered around Subic - The last I heard about Clark was no way 

We here in Cebu are hoping for something any little tit we can get we will take.

BTW both the Seabees and the Air Force Construction units are working in and around Cebu - the Seabees are involved in a school rebuilding project in Carcar and the Air Force is doing something in Lapu-Lapu These are Community Service Projects and have nothing to do with the Treaty

Edited by mpt1947
thailandphil

Thanks for the informative post Mike.

I'm only rated 10% so my ass is still hanging in the wind here. I'm pretty sure that if I was re evaluated it would go to 20-30% but I'd still be screwed so for me it's not worth the hassle. Fact is if I have a serious health issue here and need immediate care I'm going to die. For now I'm having my friend send me my meds but that's a pretty shakey deal as it's not allowed by the carrier and I often run out and have to buy out of pocket.

Not knowing what your current medical conditions are and what you your rating is for it would hard for me to help you tie your current conditions to your rating so VA would haft to address the matter.

Don’t lose hope there may be a way. This would be my recommendation.

First go into Word or some other letter writing program you may have and write out exactly what is current medical condition is and why it is life threating. Also cover why the VA is your only hope because lack of insurance ect ect. Make the letter short but as dire as you can make it sound and after you are done save it so you can just copy and paste into e-mails.

Here is a list of Senators on Committee of Veterans Affairs.

Senator Bernie Sanders (I - VT)--Senator Richard Burr (R - NC)-- Senator Johnny Isakson (R - GA)-- John D. Rockefeller IV (D – --Senator Patty Murray (D - WA)Senator Mike Johanns (R - NE)--Senator Sherrod Brown (D - OH)--Senator Jerry Moran (R – KS)--Senator Jon Tester (D - MT)--Senator John Boozman (R - AR)--Senator Mark Begich (D - AK)--Senator Dean Heller (R - NV)--Senator Richard Blumenthal (D - CT)--Senator Mazie Hirono (D - HI) Don’t know if this list is current but you can find our easy on net. You can find their e-mail address at     http://www1.umn.edu/humanrts/peace/senate.html

You want to personalize e-mail to each senator not send all gang e-mail they will think you are a spammer. Here is example on how to address your e-mai.

Send to section on e-mail --  [email protected] (He is always a good one to hit on) and also add -  [email protected] or any media outlet. Senators are scared of the media so will help push it on.

In the subject section type in---- Life threating plea for VA help

Copy and paste your letter from word and send one e-mail to each senator. Key brother is to not give up no matter what. Look for any option available. Let me know if any of this helps or if I can help in any way. Good Luck Bro

thailandphil

Actually most of the work on bases are centered around Subic - The last I heard about Clark was no way 

We here in Cebu are hoping for something any little tit we can get we will take.

BTW both the Seabees and the Air Force Construction units are working in and around Cebu - the Seabees are involved in a school rebuilding project in Carcar and the Air Force is doing something in Lapu-Lapu These are Community Service Projects and have nothing to do with the Treaty

Thanks for the info bro. Please keep me informed on what is going on there. I have found out in the past being close to any military base can be a plus. Opens up a lot of doors esp if you are 100% DAV. They may not want to help you but can be had. In the Army we used to say if you got problems call the Chaplin. Lol I have and it worked.

I currently live in Thailand but looking at other options. This place is going to HELL. We have even less VA help than you guys in the Philippines. I have never been to the Philippines or Guam to research out what was available. So I am just trying to find out from other veterans like you.

Being in wheelchair most of the time I found it easier to scoot around on the net until I get answers then I’ll make a trip.

Whoever came up that term “Golden Years” should be taken out and shot.

Thanks for this military section it’s been a lot of help and with my years of dealing with the VA and others, hope I can help other vets. Catch you on the flip side.

• Like 1
mpt1947

To ThailandPhil:

You said you were in the VFW in an earlier Post - The Western Conference of the VFW - Western States, Hawaii, Alaska and Pacific is holding a convention here at the end of October first of November.  I don't know what their agenda is but usually when these conventions take place, there is a rep or two from the Embassy, SSA and the VA - maybe they will be here as well.

We are also trying to schedule a VA Outreach down here in the next couple of months 

To anyone else, keep those cards and letters coming - going to the politicians I don't know if I posted here or via the VFW - Bill Bryd do you remember - a listing of all the Senators and Representatives links to their email and snail mail address - I will look for it and put it out again

Yeah it is easier to sit here and bitch about this senator or that or a do nothing president whether he is the current or former 

It does take a bit a work to pick up your pen and paper or your key board and write an email to your reps and tell them what is going on in the Philippines and why you think it is unfair.

In my opinion it is our choice to be part of the problem, or part of the solution

Mike

• Like 1