Sign in to follow this  
BlancoDiablo

fanatical islam

BlancoDiablo

Can someone please give me the 411 on the threat for Westerners in the Philippines in regards to fanatical islam.  I can easily go to the CIA Worldbook but I am looking for a1st hand perspective.  

Paul

Where, specifically? 

Jolo? Probably fairly high.

Cebu City? Nil. 

• Like 2

Knowdafish

Can someone please give me the 411 on the threat for Westerners in the Philippines in regards to fanatical islam.

Like Paul stated above it is dependent on location. Think of it like the good and bad areas of the U.S. Most people know after living in an area for a while which places are safe and which are not. The same applies to the Philippines or anywhere else on the planet. 

• Like 4

SkyMan

which places are safe and which are not.

The US State Department writes off Mindanao but it's a big island and most of it is fine.

Is the topic title redundant?

• Like 1

Bill H

I live on Mindanao and there are no problems in this area.  However, I would not travel to Southern Mindanao or the AARM.  Whenever traveling in any foreign country it's always best to keep ones situational awareness finely tuned and talk to the locals, they know where it is safe and where it is not most of the time.

hyaku

Well there's not so many fanatical university kids here that's for sure.

Majorsco

I live on Mindanao and there are no problems in this area.  However, I would not travel to Southern Mindanao or the AARM.  Whenever traveling in any foreign country it's always best to keep ones situational awareness finely tuned and talk to the locals, they know where it is safe and where it is not most of the time.

I also live in Mindanao and have never had a problem with radical Islamists.  They do not operate anywhere near my area.

The MNLF and MILF have their fairly well defined operational areas in the south of Mindanao.  Abu Sayaff, the really bad one operates chiefly in Zamboanga city, Jolo, and Basilan.  There is also the Indonesian imported radical group Jemah Islamiah, which is tied to the Abu Sayaff, and they only occasionally rear their head in the same areas as Abu Sayaff.

The BIFF, the new one, is not so well defined in terms of its operating area.  A few months ago they were having clashes with the military in the Cotabato area (Midsayap specifically where one of my nieces live).  So, while I agree that most of Mindanao is not affected by radical Islamists, one still needs to be cautious.  But one also must include NPA  when laying out concerns regarding safety in traveling.

Mikala

I lived (part time) in Surigao City and Butuan. What few Muslims I've seen were well mannered and polite. Been to Davao 16 times, at times for a week or 2. Traveled out to Cotabato, Koronadal, etc.. Saw plenty of Muslims, but nobody bothered me or threatened to cut my head off. Everyone was very nice to me.

I would have no problem living in Davao full time, but would not consider living in Cotabato (or Koronadal) based on news stories.

GoHuk

Is the topic title redundant?

Tautology is the word you're looking for.  Don't know whether there's a derived adjective.