Sign in to follow this  
Knowdafish

DIY Koi Pond Filter

fred42

Be aware that most of the fish foods sold here are extremely low in quality. Protein is expensive and fish food in that price range is generally low on usable protein. If the food does not come with a list of ingredients and it's nutritional breakdown it is highly suspect. Koi will easily live for 20 years if well taken are of but that includes being fed a good quality diet. I suggest supplementing their diet with fruits and veggies. They are particularly fond of watermelon along with oranges and other citrus fruit, but will also readily eat almost any other plant matter that is to their liking including mulunggay leaves which is highly nutritious. Older koi usually die from internal diseases including cancer brought on by poor nutrition and/or poor water quality unless the more common fish diseases don't kill them 1st. 

It is important to keep their immunity up with the vitamins they need. These are almost always lacking in poor quality foods thus the need for supplemental fruits and veggies in their diet.

Tilapia don't generally live long enough before they are eaten to develop any major problems plus they are a hardier fish than ornamental koi. Tilapia are also good at gleaning food from their environment and have gill rakers that help sift the water for phytoplankton that is why they do so well in an aquaculture environment with relatiely low "input". Koi do not posses the same advantages.

Thanks for that...I have read about the incredible vitamin content of Malunggay but it didnt occur to me to feed it to the fish..I will now though,cheers!

• Like 1

Knowdafish

Knowdafish..

We do regular water changes as we have a huge garden here that needs to be watered everyday so its win win.. I have also got 2 large pots in the pond that I have planted gabby leaves in and other bog plants that I found in a swamp in our local city.. 

First time Ive ever had a pond so I`m still on the learning curve when it comes to Koi.. 

There used to be a Japanese Koi dealer in Manila that had an excellent web site where you could view hundreds of fish in different shallow buckets on youtube..You could select the fish you wanted and he`d ship them (air freight) the next day.. They dont seem to be operating anymore due to the flooding in Manila a year or so ago.. Have you heard of JD Koi center?? Here`s one of there many Y/T video`s..

I used to be into Marine aquariums big time some years ago but it got too expensive for me in the UK.. I`m designing a tank now that I have never seen produced..ever!!

It is based on my fish ponds bottom drain system and your fish waste collection swirl filter.. Cant wait as the tank will be 40 meters from the reef`s in Panglao.. 

Cheers,

Fred.

Very cool Fred! Do you use city water or well water? Some of the well water here has nitrates in it. The only way to tell is by testing it or in extreme cases smelling it.

How many koi do you have? How big are they, and how big is your pond?

Yes, I have heard of JD Koi. There is (was?) another good one in Makati. There are others who also ship koi but only a few that have a very large selection. If you are on Facebook there are a number of Philippine koi breeders as well as fish stores that have Facebook pages.

Your tank idea sounds intriguing.....

fred42

Gotta go out!! The Mrs is screaming at me!! I`ll answer your questions later!! LOL.

hyaku

I'll stick to water changes. The challenge for me after fifty-five years of fishkeeping in the west and Japan is trying to produce natural trouble free environment without the use of technical aids. I do chop up kang kong (water spinach). I have a chlorine problem sometimes but can control it by not changing water after heavy rain.

No fancy pools with fountains either. It detracts from looking at the beauty of the fish. Japanese culture values omote (face) and ura (back). Flower arrangements have front as in nature. Even bones in burial urn are placed in a specific method giving the urn a back and front. A plain pool with and unrestricted top view is essential.

Edited by hyaku

fred42

Very cool Fred! Do you use city water or well water? Some of the well water here has nitrates in it. The only way to tell is by testing it or in extreme cases smelling it.

How many koi do you have? How big are they, and how big is your pond?

Yes, I have heard of JD Koi. There is (was?) another good one in Makati. There are others who also ship koi but only a few that have a very large selection. If you are on Facebook there are a number of Philippine koi breeders as well as fish stores that have Facebook pages.

Your tank idea sounds intriguing.....

We use the Barangay supply which comes out of a well..

There`s 9 local Koi in there at the moment ranging from 7" -14 inches long.. From memory I think the pond is 2.5 thousand gallons..Ish.

Here`s a rough idea of the tank I will be building eventually..

The tank will be about 4/5 ft wide and about 2 ft high.. the base will not be flat  as it has approx 45 degree angles that lead directly to a 4 inch bottom drain..

The 4" pipe will go down to the floor with a U bend connected to another 4" pipe that comes up to just below the tanks water level with yet another U bend going back down to floor level and then back up again to the back of the tank..

The u bends at floor level will be fitted with faucets.Obviously the water level in the end pipe will be the same as the tank water level.

The idea is that all solid waste will fall and slide down into the bottom drain with the assistance of a power head pointed downwards and then settle in the two U bends..I can clear it all via the faucets twice a week..

As for water filtration.. I will put some scrubbies and bio balls in a stocking and sink it into the top of the final pipe.. Just above that I will have another power head that will feed a simple above tank trickle filter containing bio ball etc...

To prevent the fish from going into the 4"pipe I will install a plastic mesh with half inch holes that will be like a tank floor where the 45 degree angle begins..

The angled tank bottom walls will be hidden from view by the cabinet..

Damn!! That was hard to describe...

I need a beer!

Edited by fred42
  • Like 1

Knowdafish

The tank will be about 4/5 ft wide and about 2 ft high..

What is it going to be made out of?

fred42

What is it going to be made out of?

Sorry for the reply delay..(internet trouble)

Ideally I would like the whole tank to be made out of Acrylic but as they have no such facilities close by,I`ll make the bottom half out of plywood and fiber glass (hidden) and the top half out of glass.

• Like 1

Knowdafish

Sorry for the reply delay..(internet trouble)

Ideally I would like the whole tank to be made out of Acrylic but as they have no such facilities close by,I`ll make the bottom half out of plywood and fiber glass (hidden) and the top half out of glass.

Actually there is an acrylisupplier in the metro  Cebu area that has 3 locations there (along with Luzon and Bacolod)It is who most of the sign guys use for supplies when they make acrylic signs, but you  might rethink acrylic when you discover the price they want for it! 

These might come in handy: 

Overflow (drain) capacity calculator  (it also calculates glass thickness needed using a safety factor) 

Here is a page that  has been developed to assist you in building your own aquarium the size you want. Just enter the height, width, length and type material for the tank.  A cut list will be calculated and displayed on the following page along with assembly instructions.

Knowdafish

I received a text message late yesterday that the church has procured some barrels! 

Now the fun starts!  :animal0028:

Stay tuned! 

Knowdafish

We have 6 "fish safe" barrels that used to be filled with glucose. They were from a candy manufacturer in Cebu and Matio Trucking here in Dumaguete kindly delieved them here for free. The cost of the barresl is still being discussed but they might end up being free also. We have drilled the holes for the fittings in 3 barrels and procured most of the fitting and valves. The location for the barrels has also been prepped.

We have taken a fair amount of pictues already and I have alot of pictures of the fountain that I will upload at a later date. The parts list is being kept closely tracked of along with the prices paid. When all is said and done I will post a final cost breakdown.

The progress is sweet and I already have an order to make the same set-up for another large koi pond here in Dumaguete!

:animal0028: :animal0028: :animal0028: :animal0028: :animal0028: :animal0028:

Knowdafish

This is the pond and fountain before final painting was completed approximately 1 year ago

post-14759-0-90131300-1407391107_thumb.jpg

Barrels 1-3   There is a fourth one too but it is not shown

post-1-0-13301100-1407405621_thumb.jpg  post-1-0-59495600-1407405623_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-75897600-1407405626_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-53903000-1407405628_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-89029200-1407405629_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-13565200-1407405631_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-38300500-1407405634_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-95461900-1407405635_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-31355400-1407405637_thumb.jpg

Edited by South'rn Boy
removed zip, added images to post. removed one duplicate.
  • Like 1

Knowdafish

Thank you "South'rn Boy"! 

Edited by Knowdafish

Knowdafish

#1 and #2 are swirl filters (see the 1st page of this thread) and #3 is a sand filter that is flushable. All barrels can be flushed and drained for easy and simple maintenance. #4 barrel (not yet shown) is for a float valve to protect the pumps in case there is ever a reason for the system to run dry or too low (leak or other failure) and for final water polishing if need be.

All fittings are for 1-1/2" ID (2" O/D) pvc pipe. I was amazed that the bulkhead fittings are readily available here in Dumaguete. The drains at the bottom of each barrel are simple sink drains (the basket strainer is not used) and are available at almost any hardware store that carries plumbing supplies. The threaded pipe fitting on theis a male 1-1/2" so a female pipe elbow readily threads right onto them. I cut out the cross bar that locks the basket strainer in place to increase the flow rate through theand make sure that nothing gets hung up.

I will post a rough Google SketchUp drawing of the system when it is completed. Since there are two pumps involved the plumbing is a bit complicated but it will work great and that is what counts.

Edited by Knowdafish

fred42

Excellent progress.. Dont worry..I`m watching!

• Like 1

fred42

One thing I must say though..Is that thing really a fish pond or a birthday cake? Or what?

What is that strange figure on top?? 

Edited by fred42