Majorsco

I have seen some people recommend learning Esperanto because it is an easier language to learn.  It may not be widely used, but if learning languages is something you are interested in, then figuring out how to learn one is just as important as the language itself.  I am working on Spanish right now and part of that is trying to come up with a system that works for me that can also be used to learning other languages.  

Learning a language is a very good thing to do, not only for broadening the mind and exposure to other cultures, etc. but if you learn a language that you may actually use it is a valuable extra still.

I learned French and Spanish in school.  I have used both to some extent and am glad I did when I traveled in Quebec (French) and dealing with Hispanics when I lived in California and Texas.

The friend I had who learned Esperanto also learned Navajo.  Both out of an interest on an intellectual level, not because either one would be useful for anything.

For those who travel or have business in Asia could learn Chinese or Japanese for example as it would facilitate travel and business.  Same with Russian or some other language where you foresee having business or travel interests.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pabridez

• Majorsco

• jtmwatchbiz

• easy44

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

how do you say "give it a rest" in esperanto?

why...just the other day i was thinking the same thing!

there are also those that believe UFOs hover over elvis' grave. seriously tho, you seem quite passionate with your interest so enjoy whether anyone else here agrees with it or not. i have many friends

pabridez

eventually everyone will get their babelfish and  learning languages will be left behind

Wouldn't a babelfish sort of kill a romance?

"Te amo, mi amor!"  she says.

"Wait a sec" I say...."how do you spell amor?"

easy44

I may not be the most cosmopolitan person around, but I don't know anyone who speaks Esperanto. I also doubt very much that there are 10s of millions of people learning it. I'll go with the 100,000 from one of the earlier posts. Like I said, it may be easy to learn but has no use in the modern world. I'm not sure how the public debt of the US or any other country relates to the use of Esperanto? It sounds like a pet peave you just decided to throw in there.

Good luck with your language crusade. You might also try tilting at windmills next.

pabridez

Learning a language is a very good thing to do, not only for broadening the mind and exposure to other cultures, etc. but if you learn a language that you may actually use it is a valuable extra still.

I learned French and Spanish in school.  I have used both to some extent and am glad I did when I traveled in Quebec (French) and dealing with Hispanics when I lived in California and Texas.

The friend I had who learned Esperanto also learned Navajo.  Both out of an interest on an intellectual level, not because either one would be useful for anything.

For those who travel or have business in Asia could learn Chinese or Japanese for example as it would facilitate travel and business.  Same with Russian or some other language where you foresee having business or travel interests.

Thats funny...There is this Chinese professor who said that learning japanese or korean does not make learning chinese easier.  Neither the other way around.  Did you know that Esperanto was popular in vietnam?  

You know something else?  People do not often go out of their way to talk to people of other nationalities using a second language.  First, the native speaker has an advantage that makes the second language speaker a moron by default.  All national languages are seldom mastered, and almost all second language speakers rarely get beyond the phraze stage.    

I lived in Mexico for two years and was forced to learn Spanish for my work; English is not the default international language so many think it is.  I liked Spanish, but I haven't had the need to use the language in 20 years, but thats because I'm a native english speaker and  I don't live there anymore.  Almost everyone here in the PI speaks English, but in 5 years, I have not met a single Filipino who could hold a lasting conversation about trivial things.  Im not saying they are stupid....I am suggesting that esperanto will put us on equal footing, which makes me more patient and them less dogged.

You name one other popular auxiliary made-up language that gives speakers the same opportunity and Ill eat your hat.  And because Esperanto is relatively so easy to learn, either of us can be speaking Esperanto well in less than a year.  You try that in tagalog.

Edited by pabridez
Majorsco

I may not be the most cosmopolitan person around, but I don't know anyone who speaks Esperanto. I also doubt very much that there are 10s of millions of people learning it. I'll go with the 100,000 from one of the earlier posts. Like I said, it may be easy to learn but has no use in the modern world. I'm not sure how the public debt of the US or any other country relates to the use of Esperanto? It sounds like a pet peave you just decided to throw in there.

Good luck with your language crusade. You might also try tilting at windmills next.

There are approximately 7.1 billion people on this blue marble we call home.  If you go  by any measure of the number of speakers, it is a tiny number.  As such, it is not an internationally relevant language for government transactions and commerce.  It is a legitimate language, just not overly relevant due to the minute number of  speakers.

Estimates of Esperanto speakers range from 100,000 to 2,000,000 active or fluent speakers worldwide, including perhaps a thousand native speakers who learned Esperanto from birth as one of their native languages. Lernu.net, the most popular online learning platform of Esperanto, reported 150,000 registered users in 2013, and has between 150,000 and 200,000 monthly visitors.[6] Esperanto has a notable presence in over a hundred countries. Usage is highest in Europe, East Asia, and South America.[7]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esperanto

Majorsco

Thats funny...There is this Chinese professor who said that learning japanese or korean does not make learning chinese easier.  Neither the other way around.  Did you know that Esperanto was popular in vietnam?  

You know something else?  People do not often go out of their way to talk to people of other nationalities using a second language.  First, the native speaker has an advantage that makes the second language speaker a moron by default.  All national languages are seldom mastered, and almost all second language speakers rarely get beyond the phraze stage.    

I lived in Mexico for two years and was forced to learn Spanish for my work; English is not the default international language so many think it is.  I liked Spanish, but I haven't had the need to use the language in 20 years, but thats because I'm a native english speaker and  I don't live there anymore.  Almost everyone here in the PI speaks English, but in 5 years, I have not met a single Filipino who could hold a lasting conversation about trivial things.  Im not saying they are stupid....I am suggesting that esperanto will put us on equal footing, which makes me more patient and them less dogged.

You name one other popular auxiliary made-up language that gives speakers the same opportunity and Ill eat your hat.  And because Esperanto is relatively so easy to learn, either of us can be speaking Esperanto well in less than a year.  You try that in tagalog.

Those dirt poor farmers and shop keepers in Vietnam must love esperanto, in the country where Vietnamese, Chinese, and French dominate.  How many does it take to call it popular?  10, 20, 50?  I'm sure there are some people that like it in the universities and in the intellectual elite, but I doubt it is popular in the masses.  

• Like 1
jtmwatchbiz

I can see taking a vacation to Manila for an Esperanto weekend. It would probably be fun.

why...just the other day i was thinking the same thing!

• Like 3
pabridez

I said, or meant to say, LEARNED IT; past tense. 

There are some studies that show that currently 10 million have studied it to some extent.

Third.  US debt is related to it's fall from prominence as a leading nation, and when the US goes belly up, the English language will become less popular as other nations assume the role of world leader. 

Tell me sir, why do you treat ignorance as a virtue?  Just saying :)

jtmwatchbiz

Tell me sir, why do you treat ignorance as a virtue?

• Like 4
pabridez

Well, my theory on ignorance seems to be holding.  If it aint white, it aint right...my bigoted father used to say.

Majorsco

There are some studies that show that currently 10 million have studied it to some extent.   Third.  US debt is related to it's fall from prominence as a leading nation, and when the US goes belly up, the English language will become less popular as other nations assume the role of world leader. 

Sources.......  Its better to have substantiated information rather than throwing out studies with no references, particularly on this forum.

You seem to put all your eggs in one basket regarding the so-called US decline.  Debt is one one measure and to be sure it is a problem.  However, the world does not go up or down merely on how much debt it has.  The position the US has in the world is based on a number of factors, not only financial health.  It is an integrated assessment, not just a discussion of debt.

• Like 2
pabridez

The same way you say, "You are welcome and encouraged to contribute to a different thread"....:0

• Like 1
easy44

I said, or meant to say, LEARNED IT; past tense. 

There are some studies that show that currently 10 million have studied it to some extent.

Third.  US debt is related to it's fall from prominence as a leading nation, and when the US goes belly up, the English language will become less popular as other nations assume the role of world leader. 

Tell me sir, why do you treat ignorance as a virtue?  Just saying :)

Until Esperanzo has some relevance in the lives of many people, it will continue to be nothing more than a curiosity and a nice hobby for those interested, like you. Nothing wrong with that, but just because you have an interest doesn't make it important. Your speculation about English being on the verge of irrelevance is far fetched and very unlikely to happen in any of our lifetimes. Just because I don't happen to agree with you doesn't make me ignorant, but it does show some common sense.

• Like 2
pabridez

Sources.......  Its better to have substantiated information rather than throwing out studies with no references, particularly on this forum.

You seem to put all your eggs in one basket regarding the so-called US decline.  Debt is one one measure and to be sure it is a problem.  However, the world does not go up or down merely on how much debt it has.  The position the US has in the world is based on a number of factors, not only financial health.  It is an integrated assessment, not just a discussion of debt.

Sorry, I fail to see any of your sources here.....Did you say integrated assessment?  What has been integrated?  You see - 

Studies?  I've given plenty of sources elsewhere.   Im not your 5th grade teacher. Look it up if you're so enamored with sources.   You do what you want.  Im not trying to convince you of anything.  You can be whatever you want to be; lonely schizophrenic to drill master, I don't really care that much.  I've offered comment based on my experiences, website research, and desire.  You can protect the US all you want and tell me what a great country it is, but that doesn't change common opinion that the US is going down.  No Muslim need apply, the US is doing it to itself, mainly because of ignorance.  Just think, all those millions who died in the revolution, 1812, civil war, Spanish-American war, WW1,WW2, Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan, not to mention the ones I missed or the secret wars waged over 50% of the earth by US supremacists - all for nothing.

Have another joint, beer, or another of your favorite mind altering drugs, lay back in your pillbox recliner, and let real people strive to clean up the mess....thanks  

Majorsco

Sorry, I fail to see any of your sources here.

Obviously you didn't read my post above where I sourced Wikipedia for the number of Esperanto speakers.  

Studies?  I've given plenty of sources elsewhere.   Im not your 5th grade teacher. Look it up if you're so enamored with sources.

That means nothing here.  You posted the assertion.  It is not up to us to document it for you.  

You can protect the US all you want and tell me what a great country it is, but that doesn't change common opinion that the US is going down.  No Muslim need apply, the US is doing it to itself, mainly because of ignorance.  Just think, all those millions who died in the revolution, 1812, civil war, Spanish-American war, WW1,WW2, Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan, not to mention the ones I missed or the secret wars waged over 50% of the earth by US supremacists - all for nothing.

Just hate coming out in your commentary. You're free to hate if you want, but most of us aren't into hate.  Yes, we may bash the US or other countries, but we also explain our reasons for it and back it up.  My opinion

Have another joint, beer, or another of your favorite mind altering drugs, lay back in your pillbox recliner, and let real people strive to clean up the mess....thanks  

Doesn't warrant a real answer or response except to shut you off from any communication from me as you're obviously not a serious person interested in debate.

• Like 3