Sign in to follow this  

ROVER

Good Morning From Cebu:

I have tried for almost 2 years to contact the Department of Education To find out how many more payment they will be holding out of my SSDI. Never Got a response of any kind.

As I was searching again on the net for someway I could contact them JUST TO FIND OUT HOW MANY MORE PAYMENT WOULD BE HELD OUT. i RAN ACROSS THIS LINK I am going to share.

Now the LINK will take you right to the EMAIL PAGE (But you can look around and see if there is anything else helpful to you on the site)...You have to enter your whole name and Social Security No.

HERE IS WHERE I GOT INTO A PROBLEM:

It also has a place for Phone numbers, I tried leaving it blank, I tried typing N/A, IT WOULD NOT GO THROUGH.

So just for the hell of it and because I got pissed....I filled them up with ZEROS, you can only put the amount that a phone number in the States allows.

I typed my message told them my problem. The very next morning I had a reply....it said.

"According to The name and Social Security No. You listed your balance will be (0) in (--) months."

Darn I found out over night what I had been trying to find out for 2 years.

I sent another email and asked if it was ok if I shared the link on a forum and they replied "This Site has been established by the U.S. Dept. of Education to give fast and correct response to anyone who has a delinquent Student Loan."

So my friends if anyone Needs or knows anyone who needs information here is the link.

https://www.myeddebt.com/borrower/loadEmailInquiryPage.action

• Like 2

Paul

I applied for a Pell (sp?) grant when I went to college. If I recall correctly, I had to be independent of my parents support, in order to be eligible for the grant. However, I did get student loans as well. They were the first things I paid off, after beginning to work. 

Not to be too nosy here, but since you posted it, I have to ask. Why would you have this issue at your age now? (Feel free to send me a PM if you wish to not discuss it openly.) Or, just tell me to feck off, because it is none of my business. 

• Like 1

Salty Dog

My sister owes over 50K and says "why should she pay it back". She feels her two bachelor degrees and her masters is owed her.

Glads to hear that they will be getting it from her SS some day.

Or Rover did you volunteer to pay it out of your SSDI?

• Like 2

ROVER

I applied for a Pell (sp?) grant when I went to college. If I recall correctly, I had to be independent of my parents support, in order to be eligible for the grant. However, I did get student loans as well. They were the first things I paid off, after beginning to work. 

Not to be too nosy here, but since you posted it, I have to ask. Why would you have this issue at your age now? (Feel free to send me a PM if you wish to not discuss it openly.) Or, just tell me to feck off, because it is none of my business. 

Ok Paul "feck off"! :ROFLMAO: No just joking....it don't bother me to talk about it.....When I was first diagnosed Bi-Polar and put on Disability I was working Law enforcement....In California at that time you had to draw State Disability before you could apply for SSDI. So While I was drawing State Disability They had a program where I could try being retrained for a different type of work if there was a possibility that I might be able to go back to work....

So I decided to try truck driving and enrolled in a Driving School...In Order to pay for it they gave me 2 loans one smaller one and one a little larger this was Government Guaranteed loan through "Fanny May" (don't know spelling).

I Finished and started working driving truck (loan did not have to start being paid back for 2 years).....but after close to a year the doctor took away my Drivers Medical clearance card. And I was Advised to apply for SSDI...(now I know some people have to re apply again and again and sometimes takes years (I was granted the first time after seeing SSA Doctors).

At that time Student loans could not be held out of any Government monies (IRS, SSA, SSDI) but they were not forgiven unless you had your doctor file the paper work. I finally did that just cause I didn't like it hanging over me. So by all rights it should have been forgiven and never heard anything from them again until 2005 when the law was past that they COULD HOLD IT OUT....so they started holding out but it was only for the small loan and it was paid off.

Then a few years ago low and behold they start holding out for the large loan.....THAT IS HOW I GOT INVOLVED AT THIS AGE IN THE GAME.  I can't complain, I owed it and now it is being payed back, I just wanted to know WHEN IT WILL BE OVER.

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

ROVER

My sister owes over 50K and says "why should she pay it back". She feels her two bachelor degrees and her masters is owed her.

Glads to hear that they will be getting it from her SS some day.

Or Rover did you volunteer to pay it out of your SSDI?

SALTYDOG, no I didn't volunteer....I felt since I did what I was supposed to do under the law AT THAT TIME....It was like a bankruptcy thing...I saw no other way I could have paid it and I followed the Law.....HOWEVER! Like I said in my post to Paul, once they were able to start holding it out, well? Who am I to complain.....?

I owed it, they can now take it, I fell better it will be gone once and for all....GOD BLESS THE U.S.A. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Brucewayne

GOD BLESS THE U.S.A. :thumbsup:

The new USA or the old USA?

ROVER

The new USA or the old USA?

I know....but I was born there and it is like a mom....I may not like what she is, how she treated me or what she has become.....but deep down I gotta love the one that gave me birth and like my mom, I would kill or die to protect her.....I know that may sound like a P_ _ _y but hey, I've been called worse. LOL

• Like 1

SkyMan

Government Guaranteed loan through "Fanny May" (don't know spelling).
It's spelled Sallie Mae.  Fannie Mae (and Freddie Mac) are home loans.

At that time Student loans could not be held out of any Government monies (IRS, SSA, SSDI) but they were not forgiven unless you had your doctor file the paper work. I finally did that just cause I didn't like it hanging over me. So by all rights it should have been forgiven and never heard anything from them again until 2005 when the law was past that they COULD HOLD IT OUT....so they started holding out but it was only for the small loan and it was paid off.
At that point I would have had the doc do the paperwork.  Or I would try now anyway.
  • Like 1

State Trooper

USA student loan repayment is subject to income..If your income doesnt meet US poverty guidelines you owe ZERO. Obama changed the laws...PM me with any questions..or as an opportunity to earn a Masters degree with little or no repayment and a stipend.

• Like 1

Monsoon

or as an opportunity to earn a Masters degree with little or no repayment and a stipend.

Does one have to be 'disabled' to do this?