bkkmarlowe

Thank the Lord Prime Minister Gough Whitlam pulled the Aussie military out of Vietnam after he was elected in 1972.

• Like 1
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• lamoe

• mpt1947

• sugbu777

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Vietnam War: Facts, Stats & Myths Credit: Capt. Marshal Hanson, USNR (Ret.) and Capt. Scott Beaton, Statistical Source 9,087,000 military personnel served on active duty during the official Vie

you won't be trolling the vets forum anymore

This discussion is getting a bit twisted ,   I posted the export as a great point of interest, in my opinion. All service personnel serve an active role in any conflict, simply by the nature of the

Posted Images

Whenever folks ask me if I am a Vietnam vet, I truthfully tell them I am a VIETNAM ERA vet (which is a category asked for some jobs). I never served in-country. Although I volunteered to go there, the Navy sent me to Japan instead.

I was transferred to Yokosuka, Japan U.S.N.When I left Kiska. I was in Yokosuka Nov. 1974 through Dec. 1977 Just wondering your time frame

Mr. Mike

I rarely ever heard the term Vietnam "era" vet. If one was in the military during those years, and served in country or off the coast...you were a Vietnam vet.

Did three Westpac cruises on the USS Dehaven and one more on the USS Blueridge during the evacuation of Saigon.

While on the destroyer, as soon as we reported to the gunline off the Vietnam coast...we would fire one 5 inch round. We were then qualified for combat pay for the month. From then on, we had more than enough fire missions to qualify for combat pay.

wacobay

Thank the Lord Prime Minister Gough Whitlam pulled the Aussie military out of Vietnam after he was elected in 1972.

Most U.S. combat troops were gone by then also, due to President Nixon's "Vietnamization" policy. 

lamoe

This is not a problem that will be solved by throwing more money at it as many libs say is needed.

They have had surplus for 5 years. Maybe by ignoring vets?

More money is a typical knee-jerk progressive solution. Maybe because they have no clue what to do because they have no experience at arriving at practical company management solutions.

A general knows how to manage an organization that's fundamental precept is obedience. With 80% of the VA unionized and performance bonus without verification that an't gonna happen.

• Like 3
mpt1947

I rarely ever heard the term Vietnam "era" vet. If one was in the military during those years, and served in country or off the coast...you were a Vietnam vet.

Did three Westpac cruises on the USS Dehaven and one more on the USS Blueridge during the evacuation of Saigon.

While on the destroyer, as soon as we reported to the gunline off the Vietnam coast...we would fire one 5 inch round. We were then qualified for combat pay for the month. From then on, we had more than enough fire missions to qualify for combat pay.

Did you qualify for Agent Orange exposure?  

Check out the ships you were on - 

Did you have any Ports of Call in any of the Countries that were among the Countries involved?

Please don't respond with some lame answer that your service didn't count  - It counts and if you are suffering you need to be compensated.

Mike

mpt1947

That is correct. I have the ND ribbon/medal with star (Vietnam Era and Persian Gulf). Yeah, I was in that long.

As someone who grew up in El Toro, CA let me salute you. My dad was an FMF corpsman. I remember riding in the car with my mom on base in El Toro to go to the commissary and we would get behind a troop truck carrying Marines to the aircraft to fly them to 'Nam. She would cry...a lot. She said to us kids "Look at those poor young boys, going over there and they can't even have a beer or vote for who is sending them to fight." This was probably around 1968 when she said that. The 18 year old vote was not in effect at that time.

I was stationed at El Toro (FMF - SNCO's made in clear that our trousers had to be bloused)  Did you actually live on base or in one of the neighboring housing areas?

I went to Vietnam in 1967, didn't fly out of El Toro though  - Couldn't vote, but there is always a way to get a beer or two or more

• Administrator
Salty Dog

What difference does it make if you qualify for Agent Orange exposure if you don't have any ailments ?

Edited by Salty Dog
  • Like 2
Paul

Not being from a military background, there is a lot that I do not, and never will, understand. 

However, to me, if someone served in our military during Vietnam, or any other conflict, war, action, etc., they are veterans in my book. I imagine that no one could possibly know if / when they may be called into action.

• Like 2
Chris24
74% say they would serve again, even knowing the outcome.

Thank you, brothers.

I had the honor of hearing this true hero speak live, around 1993 or 1994.   It is worth hearing the whole story, but if you want to cut to 23:00 or a bit before, that is the heart of the message.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRQ_3R0_rSA

Edited by Chris24
ILoveCyrus

Geez, more disappointment. The USA government hid the factual details of where they were bombing until just recently. I'm surprised by this. I would have thought Vietnam would have received the bulk of the bombs.

http://irevolution.net/2012/01/14/crisis-mapping-kissinger-cambodia/

Not a surprise to me.  Governments all around the world are secretive, even (or especially) to their OWN people. 

They only want us to "know".............what they want us to KNOW...!!!

• Like 1
Jason S

Thank you, brothers.

I had the honor of hearing this true hero speak live, around 1993 or 1994.   It is worth hearing the whole story, but if you want to cut to 23:00 or a bit before, that is the heart of the message.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRQ_3R0_rSA

It is a  f-ing embarrassment this video only has 4.710 views on youtube. Speaks volumes to me about the mindset of American Society today.

Edited by Jason S
lamoe

Not being from a military background, there is a lot that I do not, and never will, understand. 

However, to me, if someone served in our military during Vietnam, or any other conflict, war, action, etc., they are veterans in my book. I imagine that no one could possibly know if / when they may be called into action.

The last line is the key. Being in combat is usually a happenstance - being willing is a choice. Applies to any and all who put themselves in harms way for others.

Don't know how to change my profile - my poem should read

Only those who've  insured the freedom of strangers can truly comprehend it's meaning and appreciate it's valve.

Honor always those willing to sacrifice their tomorrows for your today

EDIT: not meant as a slight if you didn't serve.

Edited by lamoe
  • Like 1
mpt1947

What difference does it make if you qualify for Agent Orange exposure if you don't have any ailments ?

Most of the diseases that are associated with Agent Orange fall into what I referred to as "Old Man" illnesses - Diabetes, Prostate and other cancers, Ischemic Heart Disease just to name a few - If you are not hooked into the VA check with your private doctor and see if you are developing anything

Even if you have a history of something (Diabetes) in your family, still file a claim, you will only be out the time the C&P Takes

If you need help, contact your county VA Service Officer, or one of the Service Organizations - Am Legion, DAV, VFW, VVA or several others  - they will guide you through the process.

Mike 

mpt1947

On Facebook there is a Page for Vietnam ERA and Vets - Most of us were in country, but a lot of women belong to our group, men and women who despite requests to be sent to Vietnam where sent to Overseas and stateside billets 

One person is a woman, she spent most of her time at Fort McClellan.  Agent Orange was stored there throughout the war, along with other Toxic Chemicals.

Besides being brutally raped, she was exposed Agent Orange Daily.  She suffers from PTSD and is receiving compensation for that.  She and her husband were blessed with two children, one was born with a birth defect and died of Cancer shortly after her 30th Birthday - no compensation.  My friend herself has cancer that has been directly connected to Agent Orange - but up until recently she was SOL 

She has served in many different positions in Vietnam Veterans of America, and is the President of a Chapter in Arizona - that i am a member of.

So, even though she would be a Era Vet, I take it as a Privilege to Welcome Her Home every chance I get

• Like 1