Jason S

Very Good and very interesting - Can you provide your sources?

I agree a source or sources would be helpful but interesting read none the less.

Where is the fact/myth about the Gulf of Tonkin incident which basically start the war in the first place? There is a growing percentage of the population that think that was a false flag operation by our Government. 

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• lamoe

• mpt1947

• sugbu777

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Vietnam War: Facts, Stats & Myths Credit: Capt. Marshal Hanson, USNR (Ret.) and Capt. Scott Beaton, Statistical Source 9,087,000 military personnel served on active duty during the official Vie

you won't be trolling the vets forum anymore

This discussion is getting a bit twisted ,   I posted the export as a great point of interest, in my opinion. All service personnel serve an active role in any conflict, simply by the nature of the

Posted Images

smokey

fact i turned 18 may 16,1969 and arrived in viet nam august 8, 1969 ... fact i did my first year and came back for 6 months more... fact within 1 month of being in viet nam most guys knew it was a fact their most important job was to cover someone elses back

I take issue with several of the facts about the Vietnam war. Among them is the most were volunteers part. That statement is very misleading.

I knew the US involvement in the Vietnam war was a criminal mistake from the time I entered High School. Yet I am a volunteer for Vietnam. How did that happen? Well at the time there was a draft. If you didn't have the money to be in college and were fit you knew you were going in.  

As we saw our older friends being drafted we knew almost to the month when our induction notice would be in the mail.  Many of us went to recruiters to try to get the best deal. You could sign up for a school if you were willing to go in for 4 years. The recruiter told me that there was a new 2 year enlistment and although they couldn't guarantee me a school, if there were any openings  the hundreds of military school training programs, I would be the first one to get in.  

I was young and stupid to fall for that lie from this slick recruiter desperate to make his quota. When I got to Vietnam I found that many of my fellows had been similarly bamboozled. All the two year enlistees went straight into the infantry and straight to Vietnam. They could be listed as volunteers for the war.   Its like asking a guy on death row whether he wants to be hung or electrocuted and then c when he makes his choice saying that he volunteered to be electrocuted.   Just one of the multitude of lies fed to the American people about the war.

Of course once in and there, and  being a good and honorable American boy I did my job and got a bunch of medals, because I also believe that once you are in..... that in the words of the famous poet...(Tennison?) "Ours Was Not to Reason Why...Ours was just to do and die".   I paid for being too stupid and timid to go to Canada by being scarred and crippled up for life. 

My friend whose grave I visited today (Memorial Day) signed up for four years to be a mechanic in the military but the slick recruiter was able to get him to sign up without giving him the contract for the school. This slight of hand from a slick recruiter was protested and investigated however and he was disciplined after my neighbor and only 12 days difference in age good friend, was shot to death a couple months after going to Nam.

Yes your right FACT if you were drafted often you were 11Bravo... if you signed up for 3 years instead of being drafted for two you got to pick a school and possible not be 11 B

POTATOMAN

twaddle, war is horrendous, innocent people get hurt. 

how about trying to right the wrongs ( as in Pauls post) (cant believe i agree with him on American military policy) rather than coming up with "facts" to defend Americas honour.

• Administrator
Salty Dog

fact i turned 18 may 16,1969 and arrived in viet nam august 8, 1969 ... fact i did my first year and came back for 6 months more... fact within 1 month of being in viet nam most guys knew it was a fact their most important job was to cover someone elses back

Yes your right FACT if you were drafted often you were 11Bravo... if you signed up for 3 years instead of being drafted for two you got to pick a school and possible not be 11 B

You're exactly 7 months older than me. Happy belated birthday.

I went to college out of high school. Got bored and went into the Coast Guard in Jan after the first semester. My draft notice from the Army came in while I was in boot camp. Oh how much different my life would have been if I hadn't been bored with college.

Edited by Salty Dog
lamoe

One thing not addressed here, is the amount of ordinance dropped on Cambodia, Vietnam's neighboring country. Was that a myth? Or, was it real?

While I have not seen these atrocities first hand, I have heard of them, and have seen images of children, adults, and animals, that have mistakenly walked on mines that are in the ground. Countless ordinance is still in the ground here today, patiently waiting for the next victim. 

I am partly responsible for the inaccurate information regarding munitions dropped in both Laos, Cambodia, and the DMZ.

My first position at Chulai was to prepare post action reports for A-4 pilots. (little workhorse of a ground support plane).

We would analyse the coordinates and if out of country shift them a few clicks OR more. Same with BDA (Bomb Damage Assessment) - a church with Antiaircraft on roof became a structure or bunker.

Keep a lot of pilots from being court marshaled. Some were so honorable it took the CO to intervene.  I wasn't / am not that honorable.

I take issue with several of the facts about the Vietnam war. Among them is the most were volunteers part. That statement is very misleading.

I knew the US involvement in the Vietnam war was a criminal mistake from the time I entered High School. Yet I am a volunteer for Vietnam. How did that happen? Well at the time there was a draft. If you didn't have the money to be in college and were fit you knew you were going in.  

As we saw our older friends being drafted we knew almost to the month when our induction notice would be in the mail.  Many of us went to recruiters to try to get the best deal. You could sign up for a school if you were willing to go in for 4 years. The recruiter told me that there was a new 2 year enlistment and although they couldn't guarantee me a school, if there were any openings  the hundreds of military school training programs, I would be the first one to get in.  

I was young and stupid to fall for that lie from this slick recruiter desperate to make his quota. When I got to Vietnam I found that many of my fellows had been similarly bamboozled. All the two year enlistees went straight into the infantry and straight to Vietnam. They could be listed as volunteers for the war.   Its like asking a guy on death row whether he wants to be hung or electrocuted and then c when he makes his choice saying that he volunteered to be electrocuted.   Just one of the multitude of lies fed to the American people about the war.

Of course once in and there, and  being a good and honorable American boy I did my job and got a bunch of medals, because I also believe that once you are in..... that in the words of the famous poet...(Tennison?) "Ours Was Not to Reason Why...Ours was just to do and die".   I paid for being too stupid and timid to go to Canada by being scarred and crippled up for life. 

My friend whose grave I visited today (Memorial Day) signed up for four years to be a mechanic in the military but the slick recruiter was able to get him to sign up without giving him the contract for the school. This slight of hand from a slick recruiter was protested and investigated however and he was disciplined after my neighbor and only 12 days difference in age good friend, was shot to death a couple months after going to Nam.

I had several friends who joined Corps before me, gave me heads up about recruiters and what to look out for.

I did sign for the 4 year package - aced all tests before signing up - got schooling that carried EE (Electrical Engineering as comparable civilian job on DD214) asked recruiter after contract done if he'd have tried to get me as a 0311- NFW - they got bonus points for air-wing MOS's

My 4 years and 3 months active - approximate -  boot 3 months, schooling 9 months Millington TN AFunA AFUNP- first duty Cherry Point in MCCRGT20 - Combat Readiness Training Group 4 months - ITR Infantry Training Regiment Camp Pendelton CA, 2 months,  Chulai 13 months, Beaufort SC Air Station 14 months (11 months in / out of hospital) - 3 months hone awaiting medical discharge - 51 total  with leaves 

WWII - older - waited for inevitable draft while working and preparing to go in.- no one knew for how long

Vietnam - I don't care what they say - MUCH younger - wanted to get the perceived inevitable over - don't forget only 12 months (13 for Marines) tour and out.

I've used same statics myself but will include back story from now on

Edited by lamoe
lamoe

You're exactly 7 months older than me. Happy belated birthday.

I went to college out of high school. Got bored and went into the Coast Guard in Jan after the first semester. My draft notice from the Army came in while I was in boot camp. Oh how much different my life would have been if I hadn't been bored with college.

Both whippersnappers - turned 21 in Chulai 1968 - I was the old man in barracks.

lamoe

I"I knew the US involvement in vietNam was criminal from the the time I entered high school"

WOW!!!!!!! what an absolute genius you were at 14 years old!!! I'm surprised the president didn't know how much you knew about the world and ask you to become a presidential advisor. Bet you love jane fonda also. Too bad you didn't go to Canada.

probably one of the few times we will disagree.

As long as he says the war was criminal, wrong, stupid, I will not dispute is OPINIONS - if he had said the same about those who served then there would have been a reply.

I joined for 3 reasons - schooling, to see if I could survive boot camp and if I could function in combat. Never gave the Vietnamese people themselves any consideration.

Ozbrum

I was never in Vietnam and am not an ex US soldier

I am however an ex who served in different theatres of horrors , gladly at first. I believe they are all fecked up, truth is most young men don't know this until ( the lucky ones ) become older men.

I don't want to get into the ideology of the whys and wherefores... Or of the crying mothers, wives and families left behind to spend a lifetime to moan and to grieve and to pity.

Just thought this was a good article and for me it does dispel some of the myths fed to we the gullible over the years.

Not sure who planted them there landmines Paul, but from my recollection , many were made in Italy , France , Chekoslovakia and other countries who were never out of the shadows, until it was time to proclaim their support for any hollier than thou campaign which suited their own figging agenda's.

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

A lot of Vietnam era vets gradually drop the era part when describing their service. They get going the beards and hats and badges and bangles, and the awe from the kids and grandkids when describing their service, They get hooked on the manliness attained by their charade and some start to almost believe it themselves.  Its a refuge for them from the humiliation of being dominated by their wives in our feminist society. .  If they were real man they would reject any praise and attention given to themselves, and instruct people instead to put in on those who really suffered the strain and pain of combat.

I knew the US involvement in the Vietnam war was a criminal mistake

I thought the OP was about some Vietnam facts and myths. Not a rant session for the criminality of the war and degrading comments about those who were in the military during that war but didn't happen to serve on the battlefield. Neither of the above statements can be considered facts, oh wait, I guess they can fall under the myth part. I see another member made a comment about the above post and it was deleted. Maybe it was seen as an attack. I've chosen my words carefully so as not to suffer the same fate.

Edited by Salty Dog
  • Like 6
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

A lot of Vietnam era vets gradually drop the era part when describing their service. They get going the beards and hats and badges and bangles, and the awe from the kids and grandkids when describing their service, They get hooked on the manliness attained by their charade and some start to almost believe it themselves.  Its a refuge for them from the humiliation of being dominated by their wives in our feminist society. .  If they were real man they would reject any praise and attention given to themselves, and instruct people instead to put in on those who really suffered the strain and pain of combat.

• Like 9
Mattnlenny

Don't the new members first few posts need to be approved prior to posting?

• Admin (Retired)
broden

Don't the new members first few posts need to be approved prior to posting?

pm sent

Paul

I guess you now know what NOT to post on this site, doncha? 

Oh, I can't take credit for his dumb ass being banned. Another admin took that liberty. 

• Like 5
spritsail

More soldiers were killed or injured in the first week of the battle of the Samme 1st July 1916 than the whole of the Vietnam War, Iraq and Afganistan. 400,000 British and around 400,000 germans killed in a 4 month period. Go to Thiepval and see all the headstones. Crazy the futility of war and now they want to start again in Ukraine.

• Like 2