Sign in to follow this  
rainymike

Circumcision Report

rainymike

Not trying to start a discussion on whether to circumcise or not. The decision was made to circumcise our two boys (ages 6 and 8). Just reporting on what we went through for others who may be facing the same. This is also likely to vary from location to location in the Phils.

Since my partner manages the budget, she usually makes the call on these kinds of things. 

Our first attempt was with a neighbor who was a doctor and did free circumcisions for neighbor kids. However, at the time she recommended against the older boy and suggested he wait another year. Some issue with the foreskin that I really didn't understand, but she was the doctor.

One year later, we've moved. My partner decides to try the Barangay Hall which organizes a mass circumcision for about 100 kids. My partner and two boys show up, there are already a couple hundred boys there. Not enough supplies to handle all the boys. We are turned down, but the boys had the crap scared out of them. (If you can imagine a hundred boys crying).

I suggest the hospital, but the cost was in the area of 4K. We ask around and some friends recommend a clinic where the cost is about 1K. We decide on the clinic. The boys are in and out. Their parts wrapped in gauze and tape. Antibiotics and pain killers was part of the price paid. 

After 3 days, we were instructed to remove the bandages and wash well. Boys were not entirely happy about having us remove the tape, but we managed to accomplish it. We also followed along with the antibiotics and pain killer, but that was only for a few days. After the fourth day, the boys were healing but still uncomfortable and a bit raw. Friends recommended a wash of boiled guava leaves (supposed to have antibiotic and pain relieving properties). That actually seemed to help.

A week+ later, the boys are walking around, but still a bit on tippy toes. All seems to be progressing well. Total cost was a little over 1K each (I bought some additional biogesic syrup). Didn't seem terribly traumatic for the boys. But it was painful and they were in tears on the first day after the initial pain killer wore off.  Biogesic was quite helpful in getting them a decent night's sleep in the first few days.

Am actually interested in boiled guava leaves as a treatment for rashes. Will give it a go next time I get a case of the rash.

• Like 5

Borinquen

My boy is gonna have his companion circumcised next month. Thanks for the heads up, i'll post my experience from Davao Doctor's Hospital, unless you don't mind giving me the name of that clinic. Seems legitimate.

Edited by Borinquen

BossHog

Thanks for the report.

look, rainymike went out of his way to give us good solid information to, i presume, help out other parents in his situation

and clearly stated he wasn't soliciting opinions.

calling informative posters like this 'cheap' and 'barbaric'

is a real detriment to this forum as it will stop other parents from sharing useful information

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 7