Sign in to follow this  
Alan S

BBC article

Alan S

The BBC has an article on family planning in the Philippines.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-27537943

The links on that page about the Philippines, are also of interest.

• Like 1

BobX

Thanks for posting this, I didn't know that the Reproductive Health bill finally was out of the court system and presumably about to become law.  I don't think that the Catholic church's resistance to this bill has had any effect on fertility rates though, the Philippines is right in the middle of the GDP/fertility rate graph for countries with similar GDP.

I'm curious how long it'll take until divorce arrives in the Philippines.  

GoHuk

Thanks for posting this, I didn't know that the Reproductive Health bill finally was out of the court system and presumably about to become law. I don't think that the Catholic church's resistance to this bill has had any effect on fertility rates though, the Philippines is right in the middle of the GDP/fertility rate graph for countries with similar GDP.

It is a breakthrough, although how much of a breakthrough and how effective at curbing the economy-crippling birth rate remains to be seen.  The Bill was sidetracked for a year after being passed by Congress.  Eventually the Supreme Court ruled that the Bill was constitutional but deleted eight provisions, in full or in part.  This rather took the teeth out of the Bill since it removed the penalties for not providing RH services.  Now we're left with the rather curious situation that opponents of RH can deny RH services - which is illegal - but cannot be punished for it.

So confusing was this ruling that both factions declared a victory, with some justification on both sides.

We shall see what we see.

hyaku

Thanks for posting.

When Amanpour interviewed the president about this he said that the church didn't run the country. But what he did state was that the way to solve the problem lay in women's education. That research showed an educated women was far more likely to plan her family.

There are altenatives. Vasectomies are free needing a wife's signature. I suppose a lot of women are worried that the husband will mess around.