Sign in to follow this  
miles-high

☆☆☆dining… Is it worth it? ;)

Mikala

I hate to go to a "nice" restaurant and then on the way home stop for burgers and fries to fill me up.

Reminds me of a time that a vendor came to Hilo, Hawaii and wanted to take the engineering staff out for a nice dinner. We all headed over to the most expensive restaurant in town. Nobody had gone before. Heck, I didn't even know it existed. Must have been 15 engineers. Food comes out and everything was miniaturized, yet very tasty. My guys weren't satisfied at all. Once the vendors went back to their hotel, we all headed over to Blakes Drive-In for some more chow. The locals on the Big Island explain it to me thusly. They want quantity, not quality.

That nice restaurant went out of business a few months later. Great food, but small quantities can't survive in those kind of places.

Co-workers used to encourage me to go to different restaurants. I learned quickly to ask them if they recommended a restaurant based on quantity or quality. Most of the time it was "brah, dey get HUGE meals!". I declined going to those places. There were a few good quality restaurants that I attended and go back to whenever I'm home.

easy44

Reminds me of a time that a vendor came to Hilo, Hawaii and wanted to take the engineering staff out for a nice dinner. We all headed over to the most expensive restaurant in town. Nobody had gone before. Heck, I didn't even know it existed. Must have been 15 engineers. Food comes out and everything was miniaturized, yet very tasty. My guys weren't satisfied at all. Once the vendors went back to their hotel, we all headed over to Blakes Drive-In for some more chow. The locals on the Big Island explain it to me thusly. They want quantity, not quality.

That nice restaurant went out of business a few months later. Great food, but small quantities can't survive in those kind of places.

Co-workers used to encourage me to go to different restaurants. I learned quickly to ask them if they recommended a restaurant based on quantity or quality. Most of the time it was "brah, dey get HUGE meals!". I declined going to those places. There were a few good quality restaurants that I attended and go back to whenever I'm home.

The Hawaiians used to say they don't eat until they're full, they eat until they're tired!

Mikala

The Hawaiians used to say they don't eat until they're full, they eat until they're tired!

The Honolulu Advertiser used to provide guidelines for how to get your money's worth at the Sunday Brunch buffets at various hotels. Suggested time alloted for a good brunch was a minimum of 2 hours and if you ate / rested for 3 hours, it was considered best. I enjoyed the brunch at the Royal Hawaiian hotel (think PINK) a few times, but was never able to go more than 1 hour of eating and talking story. Most times 30-40 minutes and I'm done, ready to pay the bill.

miles-high

I enjoyed the brunch at the Royal Hawaiian hotel (think PINK) a few times, but was never able to go more than 1 hour of eating and talking story. Most times 30-40 minutes and I'm done, ready to pay the bill.

Just order a good bottle of red wine or two and three hours will go by fast, the first bottle shold be their own rose champagne at Royal Hawaiian… :)

• Like 1

easy44

The Moana Hotel used to have a good buffet. We would love to sit outside by the beach and enjoy the scenery.

Kuting

I thought I would take my Filipina GF to a real 3-star restaurant – I always want to try Maison Pic by Anne-Sophie Pic (which Google, Yahoo! or Bing ;)). Sorry for these low-res pics but we needed to use a very small cam to not disturb other customers. (Incidentally, many of the customers looked like spies from other restaurants… :D)

The total for the dinner, lodging and b-fast was €1,860… Was it worth it? Just looking at at the smile on her face, yes!

attachicon.gif15.pngattachicon.gif12.jpg

attachicon.gif2.jpgattachicon.gif5.jpg

attachicon.gif7.jpgattachicon.gif9.jpg

attachicon.gif41.jpgattachicon.gif61.jpg

Wow wow wow! I have always dreamed of dining in a 3-star Michelin restaurant, let alone doing the whole experience of staying in the hotel as well. Does the cost include the plane fare or just the hotel and dining experience? My husband would never treat me to such though, so I am "well jel" of your GF--and she's not even your wife yet! (or is that why the special treatment?! wife gets taken for granted usually! ;p)

tomaw

I think you paid more for the atmosphere than the food. Those pictures look more like horderves to me.

Knowdafish

I've eaten at some expensive restaurants here in Cebu none of which match up with Golden Corral..

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

miles-high

Wow wow wow! I have always dreamed of dining in a 3-star Michelin restaurant, let alone doing the whole experience of staying in the hotel as well. Does the cost include the plane fare or just the hotel and dining experience? My husband would never treat me to such though, so I am "well jel" of your GF--and she's not even your wife yet! (or is that why the special treatment?! wife gets taken for granted usually! ;p)

Hmmm, perhaps you may wish to try le Jules Verne then… It’s got only 2-stars but it’s by Alan Ducasse, the proprietor chef of a few 3-star restaurants… and the view is, well, to a kill… ;)

http://www.lejulesverne-paris.com/

We would be on our way again as soon as a reservation is made on a suitable date (online reservation available)... :)

...and no, the airfare not included... :D

1.JPG

Jsteam

My wife would have said we could have flown to Coron and stayed a week at a nice beach resort for the same price. I think it is all about priorities. Most Filipinas look at very expensive (as in pretentious) food as a waste of money.

She got that right, rather spend a week there than any top eatery :good:

spritsail

You could have eaten a full a full plateau of prime sushi and sashime in camiguin for less than 1000php