Teaching an adult basic general knowledge

I have started teaching an Filipina basic general knowledge.  Things like how to read a H:M:S digital watch, how long a second is (by feel rather than looking at a watch), how long a millimeter or kilometer is (by feel), how to read a map and guessing the distance between A and B on a map.  All doing it over Skype, which doesn't seem too much of an impediment if the Internet is reliable sometimes.

I'm sure I'm not the only person here to have done this, and of course children get taught this, though I never had children.  Any suggestions on the best method?  I don't really know what she doesn't know.

philuk

I am teaching my nephew how to repair computers, not that easy as his english is not that brilliant, 

The best way I found was to make up lessons,          breaking it down into the very basics,             lots of pictures and step by step instructions,  I use wordpad

Then i email the lesson to him,   and when he has understood, send the next lesson,                   

In just a short time, he has already repaired his first computer, 

• Like 5
Scruffydog

I have started teaching an Filipina basic general knowledge.  Things like how to read a H:M:S digital watch, how long a second is (by feel rather than looking at a watch), how long a millimeter or kilometer is (by feel), how to read a map and guessing the distance between A and B on a map.  All doing it over Skype, which doesn't seem too much of an impediment if the Internet is reliable sometimes.

I'm sure I'm not the only person here to have done this, and of course children get taught this, though I never had children.  Any suggestions on the best method?  I don't really know what she doesn't know.

Best of luck. I bet she smiles and pretends to care. i am basing this on experience/. My wife told me one day going down the road, Honey, please no more lesson on Vietnam war. please no more. 

• Like 2

Is she an adult?   Ask her what is she interested in I myself have never learnt anything that I wasn't interested in.  Kids have no say what they learn in school adults choose the things they want know.  

• Like 2
contraman

Part of my job is to deliver specific technical training to tradesmen throughout the Pacific Rim.

While this is not over the internet, some technical problems are solved this way.

Most, but not all trainees  have a basic grasp of English, but not a lot of comprehension.

I have found that hands on (using the point with finger and eye) and

keeping the training FUN works just great

• Like 2
4thDan

For what it's worth.....Richard Bach wrote....Learning is finding out what you already know. Doing is demonstrating that you know it. Teaching is reminding others that they know just as well as you. You are all learners, doers, and teachers. 

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...

Sometimes men can be patronizing especially if a woman is attractive. They just assume that because you're pretty that you're not that bright. OP, maybe she can teach you how to survive and have the best quality of life on very little money. I bet she's rolling her eyes in her mind while she's listening to your instructions pretending to be dumb and to care. Sorry to disillusion you, but Filipinas do that sometimes. 

• Like 1
SomeRandomGuy

What do u mean sometimes?

Bah Humbug

I would ask what sort of measurements is she already familiar with. For example, if she is old enough to have been maintaining a household, she will have gone to the market and used whatever the local measurements are. It doesn't really matter what those are, just so long as she is familiar with them.

Then using these commonly known measurements, you can base other measurements against this. Actually, the problem is more at your end, since you have to know what the common measurements are. Ask her to show you a sample of some quantity such as a bag of rice, or quantity of fish or meat.

If there is a chance to get an inexpensive scale and other measuring items, demonstrate them.

I'd like to mention a misconception about "children get taught this". Not necessarily so. Even of it is taught, learning something by rote is not the same as actually using the information. How many miles are there in an astronomical unit? And who gives a shit?

Use body parts as ways to compare. Usually the distance between some finger joints is equivalent to something you want to teach, such as inch.

I'd suggest staying away from scale concepts such as on a map. This can get you into some confusing discussions, since many people think of distances more in time rather than some linear measurement.

Stay as far away from teaspoon, cup, milliliter as possible until the basics are pretty well known.

If you have to, use common items such as a San Miguel beer as a comparison to a half liter of mineral water.

It doesnt matter if you teach her how long a second or a minute is, she will still be an hour late occassionally !

• Like 2