• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• misty

• Paul

• Cipro

• Mikala

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

^^ That's my in-law's roof with his 800 watts solar panels. His house is completely off grid and those panels are now close to 2 years operational.   The panels we bought it in local made in China

If you're asking about setting up a solar power system, I believe Paul had a thread on that somewhere.   For me, the hardest part was all the up-front work needed to ensure I had the right connector

Misty, can you post how many batteries on that system and possibly the voltage and amp hour rating of them, along with the controller and inverter size? If too much trouble, no worries. I am just happ

Posted Images

Paul

Misty, can you post how many batteries on that system and possibly the voltage and amp hour rating of them, along with the controller and inverter size? If too much trouble, no worries. I am just happy to see the system in use.

• Like 3

Misty, can you post how many batteries on that system and possibly the voltage and amp hour rating of them, along with the controller and inverter size? If too much trouble, no worries. I am just happy to see the system in use.

Will try to have a look.

• Like 1
  • 11 months later...

My father-in-law system runs on 800 watts solar panels, 24v, 60hz, 1kw (currently increasing to 2kw since the old inverter broke) pure sine wave inverter with 8 batteries. :)

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

My FIL just upgraded his inverter the other day & he can now run his aircon using his 60hz, 24volts, 2kilowatt, pure sine wave inverter for over 15k.

• Like 3
Paul

Misty, I found all your related posts and put them in one topic for you. :) 

Enuff

My FIL just upgraded his inverter the other day & he can now run his aircon using his 60hz, 24volts, 2kilowatt, pure sine wave inverter for over 15k.

OK so FIL has 800 kilowatt system and can run tv, fridge (mini?), lights, fan, laptop, etc. And now an ac unit.

Do you have a ballpark on total costs involved (including newest inverter acquisition)?

Thanks. looking into similar but didn't think 800kw was nearly enough.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
musingloudly

Wow... Id be interested to see the costs involved here. But looks like hes doing good here

Paul

OK so FIL has 800 kilowatt system and can run tv, fridge (mini?), lights, fan, laptop, etc. And now an ac unit.

A mini frig may use as much as a large, energy efficient one. You would probably be looking at 1,000 watt hours per day. 

Enuff

A mini frig may use as much as a large, energy efficient one. You would probably be looking at 1,000 watt hours per day.

Just trying to get a grip on the 800w system. To me that seems like a lot of appliances being used. Not sure how many watts an 800w system can produce in a days time

Paul

Just trying to get a grip on the 800w system. To me that seems like a lot of appliances being used. Not sure how many watts an 800w system can produce in a days time

Well, he can't possibly be using all of them at once. 800 watts wouldn't be nearly enough. For a refrigerator to run full time, as well as other appliances, lights, etc., you are looking at closer to a 3 Kw array. 

Perhaps his array is larger than she thinks? Not sure. 

The cost was around 200k plus to set it all up, it will be 3 years old come December. The price of panels has gone down a lot, it's just around 7k plus now vs 16k when we bought our panels. My FIL was the one who wires up his panels & we just had our previous worker & his friend weld the frames & laid it out on the roof. Paid them 1k each for a day's work & also 1k for our electrician to wire up the connections.

The current inverter we got was around 15k plus.

He's using 5 watts bulbs as lights, can't recall how many the house got, though one 5 watts bulb is constantly on 24/7. He got a 500 watts electric kettle, a small rice cooker, microwave, 1/2 hp water pump, 2 ceiling fans, tv & dvd player. There's a water heater in the house but I think he's not using it. Also his fridge was a 95 watts. But there was some issues with it & the service center blamed it's the solar's fault that it's faulty. Oh well, that's a long story about that & can't really discuss it atm.

Edited by misty
  • Like 2
Paul

But there was some issues with it & the service center blamed it's the solar's fault that it's faulty.

I believe you mentioned it was a pure sign wave inverter. If so, he is producing cleaner power than is coming from the power points. So, they are full of rubbish, saying such a thing. 

I believe you mentioned it was a pure sign wave inverter. If so, he is producing cleaner power than is coming from the power points. So, they are full of rubbish, saying such a thing.

Yep, you are correct. That's my FIL's argument vs the service center & the fridge company. They can't get it out of their system that their fridge was powered by solar. The fridge runs okay using electric but the issue was there's a surge when the compressor switches on & it trips off his 1kw inverter, fridge was only 95 watts. Simply means that there's something wrong with the fridge but the company just won't admit it. We were willing to have them repair it if they need to but they argue that there's nothing wrong, my FIL won't accept their reasoning & excuses.... Awaiting decision....