Travel agent scam

Tinbum

Just got told this by the lawyer involved.

American guy, Filippino girlfriend.

Girlfriend has a friend (not close) who owns a travel/ ticket agency.

The friend offers to make the American some money, you help me, i help you.

Here's the deal.

People come to her to book tickets as a group. She does not have the cash to pay the airline but does get a good discount from the airline. Then, when the group receives their tickets they pay the agency the full price.She pockets the difference between the airline discounted price and the full price.   So the friend needs the "up front" cash from somewhere.

Offers the American who stumps up 12 K Php. Deal goes fine, one month later he receives 16 K Php in his hand.

Next deal, American stumps up 64 K and the promise of 74 back in his hand after a month.

Before the month is up the friend tells him a large group of government employees needs to go to Manila. 250 k Php plus is needed. Girlfriend checks and finds out yes indeed a group of govt employees is going to Manila. So guy hands over extra 250 K plus.

Month comes and goes on the first sum. Girlfriends friend says "i will pay it (both) all at once."

Month comes and goes on the big sum. Girlfriends friend says "only got this much as they (govt. employees) still owe me money"

Girlfriend goes and asks govt. employees "have you paid/" and gets told "we paid in full, nothing owed"

Girlfriend goes to confront friend but agency closed, phone dead, friend disappeared into thin air!!!

Girlfriend most embarrassed and files an estafa case on boyfriends behalf.

So BEWARE!!!!

Brucewayne

Hahaha!

Any true business could have handled that deal without outside help.

Some guys will fall for anything.

My wife has a friend who gives us free tickets and she only pays the airlines for the tickets as she is paid.

The printed ticket is basically a receipt only until the bulk of ordered tickets are paid, she only pays a reservation fee and has a certain amount of time to pay up before the flight is scheduled for take off.

Usually, tickets of this nature are presold at least a month or more in advance and the travel agent already knows how many people are in the group before she pays the reservation fee on the tickets.

• Like 1

This is the norm. when it comes to business here...Money loaning, Travel agents any thing where money is needed up front...

The first time is small amount payed back with no problem

The second, third or more each time gets a little bigger no problem...

Then THE GRAND DEAL and a very large amount is needed.......

Now they say they have to pay in payments.....first payment a little late but not too big of a deal

They may even make the second payment but it WILL BE LATE and NOT THE WHOLE payment....

Then THEY'RE GONE..........

No one knows where, their family and friends call you a liar cause (he/she) would never do that and some are even brazen enough to say "you're in our country now, you need to learn the Filipino way"

I HAVE LEARNED THIS since living here....NEVER EVER, EVER TRUST (ANYBODY)...There is NO ONE I TRUST 100%...

NOT LOCALS, NOT EXPATS, NOT MY WIFE (even my wife has never ever given me a reason not to trust her, I just can't do it 100%)

And some will say make them sign a contract "SORRY JOE"... the paper you and them sign is worth about as much as a roll of Toilet paper.....and the toilet paper is a lot softer..

• Like 5
Tinbum

..NEVER EVER, EVER TRUST (ANYBODY)...There is NO ONE I TRUST 100%...   NOT LOCALS, NOT EXPATS, NOT MY WIFE (even my wife has never ever given me a reason not to trust her, I just can't do it 100%)  

Sorry for being blunt, but why are you "married to someone" which is a lifetime commitment if you do not trust that person 110%???

• Like 1
contraman

There is always opertunities.

But I will only risk what I could afford to loose

Not saying that this deal would have had the slightest bit of interest to me.

• Like 2

Because I love her and of that there can be no question....But when I have had my throat cut, and stabbed in the back and hurt so many times, by Family, 'so called friends' and another wife, it is much easier and safer to NOT TRUST 100% so that way IF SOMETHING HAPPENS I won't be hurt so bad again.....because I was expecting it......

That's the Truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth, and until you have been through, and seen and had happen to you (I HOPE YOU NEVER DO) you can never know or understand where I am coming from....

So try not to be too judgmental until you have lived 50+years in MY SHOES.

Oh and let me assure you I know and understand it is a sad situation but it is mine. That is why I posted my warning on my "About" of my profile....

ADDED: My wife Knew all about my problems well before we were married and she accepted it and "not to be blunt" HER FEELINGS IS THE ONLY ONES THAT MATTERS TO ME.

Edited by ROVER
  • Like 1
Kuting

If it is too good to be true, it usually isn't good or true! :D

• Like 7
contraman

But when I have had my throat cut, and stabbed in the back and hurt so many times, by Family, 'so called friends' and another wife, it is much easier and safer to NOT TRUST 100% so that way IF SOMETHING HAPPENS I won't be hurt so bad again.....because I was expecting it....

I know its hard but, 

Don't be bitter about the past or things you can not change.

Its the future that we have some say in, so focus on that. No matter how bleak it may seem at the present time.

I think most of us have gone through varying degrees of hurt in the past and maybe that's why we are here.

I remember going to a Businessman's Breakfast many years ago and the Key Note Speaker was

Tom Hafey (sadly he passed away 12 May 2014) - Followers of AFL will know who I am referring to.

The Only Thing that I remember from that function is the words

"If It Is To Be, It's Up To Me"

those words have cemented themselves in the back of my brain and when things ain't going right

they pop up and remind me.

Not saying it will be the same in everyone's case, but hope it helps somewhat.

Keep your Chin up

Cheers   :drinks:

• Like 5
Laurence

Why does anyone use a travel agent to book tickets nowadays anyway?  And why do some airlines still offer large commissions to travel agents ? This isn't the 1970s ... we have something called the internet now. Of my many trips to Phils I always booked direct with the airline. While travel agents could always match that fare, I found that there were more restrictions on rebooking / rerouting / cancellation / etc. from tickets booked through an agent.

• Like 3
Brucewayne

Why does anyone use a travel agent to book tickets nowadays anyway?  And why do some airlines still offer large commissions to travel agents ? This isn't the 1970s ... we have something called the internet now. Of my many trips to Phils I always booked direct with the airline. While travel agents could always match that fare, I found that there were more restrictions on rebooking / rerouting / cancellation / etc. from tickets booked through an agent.

We do it because our friend gives us free tickets to Manila, Hong Kong and other places she doesn't have time to visit.

For someone with no connections and not traveling in a group, it really doesn't make sense not to use the internet.

• Like 2
contraman

I travel extensively and have done for years.

I worked for a major multinational company that contracted all travel out to an agency.

After a few years the division I was with was sold to smaller company.

With this company we were free to choose and book our own travel.

There were some restrictions but by and large it worked well for us.

After 2 years I was speaking with one of the financial gurus and was told that

They could not believe the savings in travel, compared to what they were given in the takeover due diligence documents

32% saving was quoted.

I guess that someone had to pay the agents salaries and overheads.

I never use an agent nowdays.

Edited by contraman
  • Like 2
Mikala

In South Korea, travel agencies buy a block of tickets on the airlines, plus the hotels and then put together incredibly cheap packages for whomever can read the newspaper (not me). The expats here married to Koreans (unlucky souls that they are) usually go down on those packages.

I've booked my own travel since the 1980's. The in-house engineers here (expats) are forced to use a USA travel agency though. Every time they book a ticket or hotel room, they're charged $35! Changes are billed the same. The prices are not advantageous, but the company must be getting a kickback or something. Nobody would use that travel agency if they truly cared about costs.

Contango

Sorry for being blunt, but why are you "married to someone" which is a lifetime commitment if you do not trust that person 110%???

Could i suggest that he lives in a reality based world, a world where 50% of marriages and maybe 95% of sexual/cohabitation relationships fail...and thus lives his life, goes forward, makes relationship and financial decisions based on that fact.

That's what i do.

• Like 4
bargeman

"you're in our country now, you need to learn the Filipino way"

Hence a very good reason not to trust anyone 110%.

Because he is being very realistic.!!!

• Like 1
mikewright
I HAVE LEARNED THIS since living here....NEVER EVER, EVER TRUST (ANYBODY)...There is NO ONE I TRUST 100%... NOT LOCALS, NOT EXPATS, NOT MY WIFE

If this is what you have learnt since living in the Philippines, have you considered there may be better countries for you to live in, countries in which you may be able to trust people?

I just can't imagine living in a country where I could never, ever trust anybody.

Edit: Sorry Tinbum, got off topic there. Thanks for the details of the scam, one which a lot of people could fall for.

Edited by mikewright
  • Like 1