Sign in to follow this  
ROVER

Speaking Cebuano Pronunciation Confusion

hyaku

To me when filipinos talk it always sounds like they are yelling.Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Something to do with damaged hearing? Fiesta or fundraiser five villages away sounds like its next door but I guess no one here can hear it but me. Today a guy doing Summer break lessons for kids was less than a meter away from them as he shouted into the mike. I asked him if he had a hearing problem and he actually spoke into the mike to answer me saying no!

• Like 2

bmoore

I think native Tagalog speakers are more forgiving of mistakes than Bisayan's. Tagalog speakers are used to hearing other Filipinos mispronounce their language. My wife will not let me finish a sentence without correcting a minor error when I speak Cebuano. It is nice to have a fair idea what everyone is saying but trying to become fluent in Cebuano can be a problem.

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

hyaku

I think native Tagalog speakers are more forgiving of mistakes than Bisayan's. Tagalog speakers are used to hearing other Filipinos mispronounce their language. My wife will not let me finish a sentence without correcting a minor error when I speak Cebuano. It is nice to have a fair idea what everyone is saying but trying to become fluent in Cebuano can be a problem.

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

That's great. Another thread about dried fish mentions Buwad. Here we say Bolad. When I asked which is correct I'm told, "Both are ok". That doesn't help me at all.

At least you get help. Before I was in a situation of zero help as someone didn't want me to know what they were saying.

• Like 2

Sven

That's great. Another thread about dried fish mentions Buwad. Here we say Bolad. When I asked which is correct I'm told, "Both are ok". That doesn't help me at all.

Umm, but you were told the truth bro.

Buwad and Bulad is the same thing.

The same with...

Bawud and Balud ("wave")...

Buwak and Bulak ("flower")...

See the pattern?

It is a dialect thing.

The use of -W- is more common towards Bohol and Mindanao, I think.

CaptainNemo

Brads! Imagine a language thats   NOT taught in school, NOT written or read much(i don’t mean txt messages, are there any bisaya novels?).  A literal translation will sound guttural.  There is a generational thing going on- the old bisaya bilble will have alot of deep words that the kids today wont understand.  Very common for someone to say their grandmother uses words they don’t understand sometimes.

• Like 1

Sven

I have noticed that even the Visayan word meaning "WORD" is not understood by about half the locals. The word is "PULONG" by the way.

Mariel

No one uses the word "Pulong" any more. It has been shortened to "pu'ong" hence "unsa'y pu'ong?"  (what did he/she said?). Same as "unsa'y". This has been shortened from "unsa may" (what did or what was). A lot of the words are shortened hence google translators just get confused. Throw in text abbreviations and you got no hope in hell. There is a Cebuano version of Sun Star Cebu. But their Visayan is very "deep" I find it difficult to read. 

By the way, Cebuanos tend to use the shortened version of most words, hence "buad" or "buwad" (different spellings are both acceptable). 

I started teaching Tagalog to my Aussie cousin, then realized that most of our relatives are in Cebu, so started to teach her Cebuano instead. She complained Tagalog was easier to learn than Cebuano. 

• Like 1

Tin

In the eleven years that I have been here I have found that no matter how much I want to learn Cebuano it seems almost fruitless and here is why I come to this conclusion. (Pronunciation)!

It seems like everyone has their own pronunciation of a word and if you learn from one person and they tell you "perfect"....then the next person you speak with will smugly or laughingly tell you that you are mispronouncing the word or it is the wrong word.

So if you change it, the next person tells you (THAT) is the wrong pronunciation or wrong word.

Now I used to think it was just me, you know blaming in on my hearing or stroke or whatever.

But then I started watching and listening and the locals do the same thing with each other,,,,

You have three people talking #1 says something to #2.

# 2 says "huh?" and this is repeated 3 or 4 times until

# 3 tells #2 what #1 said...

# 2 then says "ah..." or "emm" and they all smile and look at each other like "ah...we took care of that"....

Now I am not trying to put anybody down my wife and her family do the same thing and I have seen it everywhere I go.....

So I guess my question is "IF YOU WANT TO LEARN CEBUANO BUT DON'T WANT TO BE LAUGHED AT, and DON'T KNOW which way to pronounce it for which people.....

(WHAT DO YOU DO?) :banghead:

One of the reasons CEbuano is not the National Language, plenty of ambiguites.

• Like 1