The Department of Veteran Affairs is disfunctional!

lamoe

Sure, it's called MEDICARE FOR ALL.

Great idea - as soon as everyone bothers to serve their country - not only military but at least something to deserve their perks. 

Wouldn't you agree?

• Like 1
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lamoe

• Majorsco

• Scruffydog

• Cebudog

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Getting off topic but I do wish you'd actually read what I wrote.   I specifically said - "not only military but at least something to deserve their perks"   VISTA, Peace Corps, Red Cross, anythin

I am surprised we have not talked about the POOR  health care service/s the VA has provided to our vets over the last many, many years....   The news in the US regarding this, is going rabid!   Th

I very seldom swear - at least on this forum- but this really pisses me off.   Just watched on FOX - VA official lie though his ass   THERE IS NOT SECRET WAIT LIST !!! And he's right. The motherf*

• Administrator
Salty Dog

First of all Tricare is not terribly expensive. I am still subscribed to Tricare prime for my entire family at a whopping $38/month. I do not pay 25%, just a small copayment.my son was born completely under Tricare with no out if pocket for me at all, with no other insurance.

But my idea was not to enroll them in Tricare but to use the active duty model where vets needing VA covered services would utilize the Tricare network and rates since it already exists, not that vets would be in Tricare like retirees. The voucher as u said would be issued as a referral outside the VA like is done for active duty.

If you have a better idea, let's hear it.

Yes I also had it until I moved to the Philippines where you can't use it. TRICARE Prime is great, but no longer available to just anyone who want's to use it. You now have to live in a TRICARE Prime Service Area. It's a great deal because the military services pay billions of dollars for it and they have been screaming about it for years.

Besides I wasn't talking about the cost to the veteran. I was talking about who would pay for the services. The cost for the government to pay a VA doctor at a VA facility is pennies compared to what they would pay a referral doctor. Speaking of referral, wouldn't the VET still need to see a doctor at the VA to get the referral?

Besides, many areas don't seem to have the same problem as the news has been playing up. I lived in Florida which is one of the most veteran populated states. I never had a problem scheduling an appointment with a week or two. Of course it wasn't as good as I could get through my TRICARE PCM and it cost me a lot more to use the VA. I only went to the VA once a year to maintain my enrolment. The cost of prescriptions was several hundred percent more through the VA. 

With TRICARE your PCM is suppose to schedule an appointment for routine care within one week (seven days). However, specialty care appointments are allowed to take up to four weeks (28 days) which is what many veterans would probably require.

I have no idea, better or otherwise. In fact was going to ask the OP if he had an idea for a workable solution.

Cebudog

Wouldn't you agree?

No, I don't agree.  Not everyone is eligible to serve and some can't pass the test to get in.  Being a citizen should be enough to get you government health care.  Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.  How can you have the first and third without  decent health care?

Majorsco

Yes I also had it until I moved to the Philippines where you can't use it. TRICARE Prime is great, but no longer available to just anyone who want's to use it. You now have to live in a TRICARE Prime Service Area. It's a great deal because the military services pay billions of dollars for it and they have been screaming about it for years.

Besides I wasn't talking about the cost to the veteran. I was talking about who would pay for the services. The cost for the government to pay a VA doctor at a VA facility is pennies compared to what they would pay a referral doctor. Speaking of referral, wouldn't the VET still need to see a doctor at the VA to get the referral?

Besides, many areas don't seem to have the same problem as the news has been playing up. I lived in Florida which is one of the most veteran populated states. I never had a problem scheduling an appointment with a week or two. Of course it wasn't as good as I could get through my TRICARE PCM and it cost me a lot more to use the VA. I only went to the VA once a year to maintain my enrolment. The cost of prescriptions was several hundred percent more through the VA.

With TRICARE your PCM is suppose to schedule an appointment for routine care within one week (seven days). However, specialty care appointments are allowed to take up to four weeks (28 days) which is what many veterans would probably require.

I have no idea, better or otherwise. In fact was going to ask the OP if he had an idea for a workable solution.

Again, I was not suggesting using Tricare, just their existing network if approved doctors and prices and using referral vouchers to let vets use them on an overload basis. Not to do the entire Tricare process.

No, I don't agree. Not everyone is eligible to serve and some can't pass the test to get in. Being a citizen should be enough to get you government health care. Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. How can you have the first and third without decent health care?

You just want universal socialized medical care for all.

cebubird

No, I don't agree.  Not everyone is eligible to serve and some can't pass the test to get in.  Being a citizen should be enough to get you government health care.  Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.  How can you have the first and third without  decent health care?

What forum might this topic be in??? Think it has something to do with folk who served, so how does this apply to you?

Seems like it might be better if you stayed in political forums where you can spout your progressive/cult crap all you want to.

• Like 3
lamoe

Getting off topic but I do wish you'd actually read what I wrote.

I specifically said - "not only military but at least something to deserve their perks"

VISTA, Peace Corps, Red Cross, anything - something. Get away of the "gimmie, gimmie , I deserve it but don't want to earn it DUFAHs"

So, progressives aren't capable of doing anything productive but still feel just because they were born here or got their backs wet and were made legal they deserve the same as those who did give back and earned them?

Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.  How can you have the first and third without  decent health care?

You're talking quality of life  and I don't give a shit about the quality of life of those who don't care enough to improve it.

They don''t care about my safety or well being so I really don't care if they live or die. 

Edit:

I'll make a deal with you - you sell everything you have and take care of as many undeserving people as you can - just stop trying to force me to pay so that you feel good about yourself .

​Not willing to back up what you say? Then stop saying it.

Edited by lamoe
  • Like 6
Cebudog

You just want universal socialized medical care for all.

In a nutshell....yes.

They don''t care about my safety or well being so I really don't care if they live or die.

Now why doesn't that surprise me?

Jason S

Being a citizen should be enough to get you government health care.  Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.  How can you have the first and third without  decent health care?

You have the right and all the freedom in the world to pursue Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of happiness but the Constitution and the Bill of Rights does not say it is the Government's job to provide it too you. Although, the number of people that think it is the Government's job to be their provider/nanny/mommy or father, does seem to be growing expeditiously.

People that serve in the military sign a contract and when we hold up our end of the bargain we expect the Government to do the same. For instance, quality medical care for Retirees and Veterans which was agreed upon in the contract. However, the Government doesn't hold up their end of the bargain and keeps changing the aforementioned contract as the years go by. 

• Like 3
Pman

PTSD, is probably best done by VA doctors who understand it better than their civilian counterparts.

I am not sure anyone who has gone to a va shrink would agree. I don't and I've heard horror stories from other vets also.

Just my 2 cents.

Majorsco

I am not sure anyone who has gone to a va shrink would agree. I don't and I've heard horror stories from other vets also.

Just my 2 cents.

Who else knows squat a out PTSD, family ohisicians?

It's not a common problem in civilian life, neither us traumatic

brain injury. The VA dies have specialty on these areas.

• Admin (Retired)
broden

right or wrong i think a lot of people will look at the VA and think that puts a pretty big black eye on government health care

i mean if the government says in the long run or even right now today we want to run your healthcare then you look at the VA it's pretty easy to say no thank you

• Like 4
Majorsco

In a nutshell....yes.

Now why doesn't that surprise me?

Socialized medicine is not a panacea like all radical progressives think it is.

I wish they would get a experience of what they're asking for. Canada, France and the UK are not all roses. There are a lot if thorns, besides not being able to afford utopia for 300 million. Practicality must enter into the equation somewhere? If course with progressives, it's ok to bankrupt the entire system if gets what they want, a communist utopia.

• Like 2
ROCO22

If Obama was a vet of any branch of the military, even totally stateside for one hitch, he would understand better. He and Clinton, neither had military service if any kind which explains their disconnected attitude. Even Bush was in the national guard, whether or not people had issues with his attendance, he did serve, as well as coming from a military family.

Barry gonna get those "corpse-men" straightened out, no worries. :sarcasm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=dlkK65y_-T4

• Like 1
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

seeing as this is an important topic to many and Paul really wants all threads to stay on-topic

lets be careful not to let this drift too much .. feel free to start additional threads on side issues

i just don't want to see the thread shut if that can at all be avoided

not trying to point out anyone or any posts already in thread ... more .. just saying

lamoe

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/05/19/west-virginia-doctor-says-patients-suicide/

A West Virginia doctor is coming forward with new allegations against the Department of Veterans Affairs, claiming that she too was told to put patients seeking treatment off for months on end -- and that at least two of them committed suicide. 

lamoe, on 21 May 2014 - 07:46 AM, said: They don''t care about my safety or well being so I really don't care if they live or die.   Now why doesn't that surprise me?

What that I don't care if they live or die or that I don't want progressives spending my money so they can feel good about themselves?

Actually both are true.

Edited by lamoe
  • Like 1