The Department of Veteran Affairs is disfunctional!

Mr. Mike

I am surprised we have not talked about the POOR  health care service/s the VA has provided to our vets over the last many, many years....

The news in the US regarding this, is going rabid!

The Obama administration was told about the problem in 2008.... it's been incubating for years .Not blaming him....but he PROMISED to do something about it....... All talk, no action! That will be his legacy!..sad really.

Not a damn thing was done, except throwing $$$ at the problem.. to remedy the Vet backlog for treatment...... Vets died due to NO treatment...including suicides!

I have been simmering over this for days...screw our current administration , and the kindergarten misfits we have running ....no...... dictating our lives from Washington!

The chickens will come home to roost!....remember that Obama?

I have never thought of myself as one to hate...but Obama deserves that attention!

• Like 5
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lamoe

• Majorsco

• Cebudog

• Scruffydog

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Getting off topic but I do wish you'd actually read what I wrote.   I specifically said - "not only military but at least something to deserve their perks"   VISTA, Peace Corps, Red Cross, anythin

I am surprised we have not talked about the POOR  health care service/s the VA has provided to our vets over the last many, many years....   The news in the US regarding this, is going rabid!   Th

I very seldom swear - at least on this forum- but this really pisses me off.   Just watched on FOX - VA official lie though his ass   THERE IS NOT SECRET WAIT LIST !!! And he's right. The motherf*

ex231

I am surprised we have not talked about the POOR  health care service/s the VA has provided to our vets over the last many, many years....

The news in the US regarding this, is going rabid!

The Obama administration was told about the problem in 2008.... it's been incubating for years .Not blaming him....but he PROMISED to do something about it....... All talk, no action! That will be his legacy!..sad really.

Not a damn thing was done, except throwing $$$ at the problem.. to remedy the Vet backlog for treatment...... Vets died due to NO treatment...including suicides!

I have been simmering over this for days...screw our current administration , and the kindergarten misfits we have running ....no...... dictating our lives from Washington!

The chickens will come home to roost!....remember that Obama?

I have never thought of myself as one to hate...but Obama deserves that attention!

OMG!!! How can you say that about someone that walks on water?

• Like 2
Majorsco

To solve much of the backlog, it would be quick to have vouchers provided for vets to get much of the non-PTSD care.  PTSD, is probably best done by VA doctors who understand it better than their civilian counterparts.  They could have the vets use Tricare qualified/network doctors and hospitals and use the Tricare rates, so as to have some cost control.  Same with meds, use the Tricare system.  It works.  All that would be needed is the reporting back to the VA for the care provided and record keeping, etc.  It's all doable.  The military does basically the same thing when referring someone out of the active duty military medical system out into Tricare when they don't have the capacity or need an additional specialty.

• Like 2
lamoe

You can't blame Obama for making promises he never thought he'd have to keep. By the way it was 2007 when he made the first one.

The internet with its proliferation of readily available information AND a media outlet that is dedicated to trying to be fair and balanced in reporting hard news (not to be confused with opinion or comedian's routines) have made it impossible to ignore or most recently lie about what was said.

Bush did nothing to improve our care and Obama never had any intention of doing anything.

Fortunately or not, this is just another nail in the coffin of progressive "you only have to LOOK like you're doing something" style of governing.

It will remain to be seen if this cause  of the week really improves the care we received.

I think many are coming to realize  the VA is simply a smaller version of Obamacare and it's scarring the shit out of them.

Edit; I talked to my shrink (last time was 11 months ago) and he informed me that the VA's philosophy to treat PTSD is NOT with personal counselling but with pills - Trazadone in my case - 100 Mg - once or twice a day - depending on how I'm feeling - shit why not 4 , 5, 6, they don't care - THEY being the top brass.

Edited by lamoe
  • Like 2
Mr. Mike

Exactly...you get a ticket to any hospital in the USA, and the government pays for it!

Mr. Mike

Okay, any person who volunteers to serve their country....in combat.... or not.... should recieve free medical care for the rest of their life! No excuses..........

throttleplate

i was talking to a shrink at the va a few years ago and was explaining how i felt and she looked at me directly and said I am not a counselor,i just prescribe pills.WTF,then why am i explaining to you my problem so she sent me to a counselor whom immediatly tried to baby talk me.I was having problems sleeping,i had gone 31 days without sleep and she was telling me to breathe and relax and telling me how to breathe and i said ok enough of this,i am not interested in counseling so i got up and left and worked out the problem with small doses of ambian untill i got back in the groove.

• Like 3
Headshot

i was talking to a shrink at the va a few years ago and was explaining how i felt and she looked at me directly and said I am not a counselor,i just prescribe pills.

That is the difference between a psychiatrist and a psychologist. Psychiatrists prescribe meds but don't do counseling. Psychologists do psychological counseling but can't prescribe meds. It is two totally different philosophies. "Counselor" is a term used for people who don't have either a psychiatry degree (MD) or a psychology degree (PhD). Generally, they just use a system of treatment that they have been taught in a course.

• Like 2
Cebudog

Before moving to the Philippines, I used the VA in Memphis and was pleasantly surprised at the level of professionalism and the speed at which I received appointments and treatment.  After having worked at the VA in Mt. Home Tn when I was going to college, I can say that the VA system is a lot better than it was in the 70's and 80's.  The ward I worked on had no doctor.  We had a physicians asst. who would write prescriptions and then days later, after the patient had been receiving the medicines and or treatment, a real doctor would sign off on it.  I watched vets die for no reason at all.  I remember one in particular who came in claiming chest pains.  Two weeks later I found him dead in his bed.  He had died from a massive coronary.  That night the nurse went through his file and told me that they had not even ran an EKG while he was there.  They had just given him aspirin.  She swore me to secrecy.  Being a 21 year old I was too stupid to say anything.

So everybody can complain, but guys, this has been going on for a looooong time.

mpt1947

Mr. Mike, 

It would be nice to blame everything on the current administration  - but who was President in 1973 when I was run through the VA like I was in a Cattle Shoot- and told I didn't have any Agent Orange Related Issues - NEXT

The VA was established in about 1930 and has been going down hill ever since - It the next administration is Republican we democrats will blame them - if the democrats continue you republicans can continue with the your blame game - Nothing Changes just stays the same.

• Like 1
ex231

I wonder if King obama and Congress know that the Manila OPC picks and chooses which vets to see. It frosts my balls that it is the only VA facility in the world, at least that I know of, where I can't get medical care.

Majorsco

If Obama was a vet of any branch of the military, even totally stateside for one hitch, he would understand better. He and Clinton, neither had military service if any kind which explains their disconnected attitude. Even Bush was in the national guard, whether or not people had issues with his attendance, he did serve, as well as coming from a military family.

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

To solve much of the backlog, it would be quick to have vouchers provided for vets to get much of the non-PTSD care.  PTSD, is probably best done by VA doctors who understand it better than their civilian counterparts.  They could have the vets use Tricare qualified/network doctors and hospitals and use the Tricare rates, so as to have some cost control.  Same with meds, use the Tricare system.  It works.  All that would be needed is the reporting back to the VA for the care provided and record keeping, etc.  It's all doable.  The military does basically the same thing when referring someone out of the active duty military medical system out into Tricare when they don't have the capacity or need an additional specialty.

While they may not be in a TRICARE network, in the USA 99.9% of doctors are considered qualified for TRICARE service and payment. The problem is some non-network doctors don't want to waste their time dealing with TRICARE paperwork, for what little fee they collect. So you pay upfront just like here in the Philippines.

By the way, TRICARE isn't free for retirees. It's funded by the various branches of the military for their retired members and it's not cheap. There are less than 4 million retired service members. There are nearly 24 million veterans.

The 4 million retired members have to pay 25% of their medical and the remaining is paid by the military services. Your suggestion to use TRICARE seems to be that the same services should be provided to veterans for free. So who will pay?

Edited by Salty Dog
Majorsco

While they may not be in a TRICARE network, in the USA 99.9% of doctors are considered qualified for TRICARE service and payment. The problem is some non-network doctors don't want to waste their time dealing with TRICARE paperwork, for what little fee they collect. So you pay upfront just like here in the Philippines.

By the way, TRICARE isn't free for retirees. It's funded by the various branches of the military for their retired members and it's not cheap. There are less than 4 million retired service members. There are nearly 24 million veterans.

The 4 million retired members have to pay 25% of their medical and the remaining is paid by the military services. Your suggestion to use TRICARE seems to be that the same services should be provided to veterans for free. So who will pay?

First of all Tricare is not terribly expensive. I am still subscribed to Tricare prime for my entire family at a whopping $38/month. I do not pay 25%, just a small copayment.my son was born completely under Tricare with no out if pocket for me at all, with no other insurance.

But my idea was not to enroll them in Tricare but to use the active duty model where vets needing VA covered services would utilize the Tricare network and rates since it already exists, not that vets would be in Tricare like retirees. The voucher as u said would be issued as a referral outside the VA like is done for active duty.

If you have a better idea, let's hear it.

• Like 1
Cebudog

If you have a better idea, let's hear it.

Sure, it's called MEDICARE FOR ALL.