Medical insurance in Mindanao for tourists

My travel insurance company does not provide cover in areas of "high risk", which is deemed by the New Zealand government to include Mindanao.  For that reason I never travelled there, too afraid of being bitten by a dengue infected mosquito or being run over by a jeepney, resulting in excessive medical costs that I was unable to pay.

Presumably, I'm not the only person with this issue. Has anyone else dealt with this, how and where did you get medical insurance?

spritsail

Lived here 12 years and never have had medical insurance. I used to engage in hazardous sports like cycle racing and ski-ing and now sailing. My opinion is that if you are afraid to travel in case you have a heart attack, or fall ill with dengue , then best you stay at home in New Zealand.

I spent over 1 year in worst part of Africa ( Bonny Delta - Nigeria) and succumbed to malaria a few times, but thats one of the hazard of the job working in the jungle travelling setting up remote radio networks.

oscarpears

Marks and Spensers in the UK insured me for travel to Mindanao. Davado, Bislig Buthan and Surigao. They would not cover of course visits to areas that are deemed by the Foreign Office to be dangerous, like the areas with a large Muslim militancy, or extreame sports.

The cost was about 100 British pounds for the year, 3 weeks in Mindanao and 49 weeks cover for the rest of the world that is considered reasonablly safe.

By the way, you are just as likely to be run over by a Jeepny in Luzon, or bitten by a Dengue mosquito in Cebu as you are to face those hazzards in Mindanao.

Majorsco

Are the dengue Mosquitos in Mindanao stronger than those of Luzon or Cebu ? Are the jeepneys in Mindanao worse than their northern counterparts? I know there a lot fewer of them!

• Like 2
spritsail

I live in Camiguin - Miramis Oriental - North Mindinao which is recommended not to travel by the UK Government. When there was all the bombing and terrorist attacks in London the UK Gov did not issue a travel warning for London. In fact there is more crime etc in London and major cities (Manchester, Birmingham, Hull etc) in a week then in the whole of Mindinao in a whole year.

• Like 3
Majorsco

I live in Camiguin - Miramis Oriental - North Mindinao which is recommended not to travel by the UK Government. When there was all the bombing and terrorist attacks in London the UK Gov did not issue a travel warning for London. In fact there is more crime etc in London and major cities (Manchester, Birmingham, Hull etc) in a week then in the whole of Mindinao in a whole year.

Same for Mindanao vs Chicago where I retired from.