Steel deck picnic, USS Blueridge LCC 19, me old ship

Mikala

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrULRXlAlMU.............

They should shower before swimming...just sayin.

The pool water looked really disgusting. The guy swimming underwater for maybe a meter looked comical.

I used to envy the surface (target) sailors ability to have fresh air and room for so many activities. On a fast-attack submarine, we could lift weights in the torpedo room, read a book, watch a movie at midnight (limited quantity of movie reels), play guitar or sleep. Worked 6 hours on watch, 6 hours maintenance (usually cleaning) and 6 hours off.

• Like 1
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr. Mike

• sugbu777

• Mikala

• Salty Dog

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Our Navy hard at work...movie time.

My first ship boat. Notice the lack of deck space for picnics?  

Posted Images

Mr. Mike

I and my partner did a patrol on the SSBN Grant,...it was fun, but i was happy to depart that wonderful boat!

sugbu777

It was port and starboard watches 8 on 8 off in Radio on small boys. Not much time to go on deck with that schedule. Maintenance was done on our 8 off. But for all of that, I liked the small boys over the larger ships. My favorite ship was the USS Lang (FF-1060). My two favorite shore tours of duty were NAVCOMMSTA Philippines, San Miguel, and Naval Air Station, Fallon, Nevada.

Edited by sugbu777
  • Like 1
Mr. Mike

I prefered four section duty...three section duty was a pain in the butt.  Two section duty had some benifits. Many hours at GQ, with no ventilation...sucked!

On the way back home to Long Beach...............we all would stand down...

sugbu777

On the way back home to Long Beach...............we all would stand down...

I was on USS Vandegrift (FFG-48) homeported in Long Beach
  • Like 1
Mr. Mike

Long Beach....me too. We would always come in about 07:00 an the meet and greet families that would always be there...for us!

My old destroyer , plus our squadron mates/ships would follow behind us.

To see my wife again was...wonderful!

sugbu777

Long Beach....me too. We would always come in about 07:00 an the meet and greet families that would always be there...for us!

My old destroyer , plus our squadron mates/ships would follow behind us.

To see my wife again was...wonderful!

Sea and anchor detail was a lot shorter at Long Beach than San Diego or San Francisco

• Like 1
Mikala

I was on USS Vandegrift (FFG-48) homeported in Long Beach

No photo? Cool ship!

USS Vandegrift (FFG-48) is an Oliver Hazard Perry-class guided missile frigate of the United States Navy. The ship was named for General Alexander A. Vandegrift (1887–1973), 18th Commandant of the Marine Corps.

USS Vendegrift.jpg

• Like 2
Mr. Mike

Yah buddy!!! My Captain.... or XO would cruise in at 10 to 15 knots and make a game of docking the DeHaven gentily....worked every time.

Those Destroyer Captains could drive a 365ft destroyer....like a motorboat....................

Edited by Mr. Mike
sugbu777

No photo? Cool ship!

USS Vandegrift (FFG-48) is an Oliver Hazard Perry-class guided missile frigate of the United States Navy. The ship was named for General Alexander A. Vandegrift (1887–1973), 18th Commandant of the Marine Corps.

attachicon.gifUSS Vendegrift.jpg

Everyone wore Red and Gold colored ball caps on that ship in honor of Gen Vandegrift and the USMC.

• Like 1
sugbu777

Those Destroyer Captains could drive a 365ft destroyer....like a motorboat....................

and.....without bow thrusters!

• Like 1
Paul

My first ship boat. Notice the lack of deck space for picnics?

attachicon.gifUSS Bremerton SSN 698.jpg

How'd that joke go?

Submariners: 300 men go to sea,150 couples return home.

Mr. Mike

and.....without bow thrusters!

...you got that right! Our captain just let the XO...drive it in...and smiled all the way!

sugbu777

No photo? Cool ship!

attachicon.gifUSS Vendegrift.jpg

The ship I made Chief on :D

• Like 1