Can someone explain what 100% disability means?

lamoe

Hmmmm, 

I don't understand that - in 2000 they said it wasn't Service Connected.  In August of 2012 they said they would not re-consider it Secondary to the Diabetes, but in April of 2013 they said that there was no record of sleep apnea anywhere in my records, until after I was diagnosed with Diabetes - they gave me another sleep test and then awarded me 50% (no compensation), so for something that they aren't going to advise me about the sure did a lot of dancing

Hope your appeal is successful - done here or in the States somewhere?

States

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• mpt1947

• Salty Dog

• contraman

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of the things I have experienced in some bars here in Cebu, are guys openly boasting about how they are using the system to collect money that (even they know) they are fraudulently claiming.  

Whatever 100% disability for vets means, it means that a VA doctor who is told to reject as many claims as possible, has decided that the person in question is entitled to that rating and while I did

I've seen many so called 100% disabled veterans that work full time, play tennis, ride a motorcycle or do just about anything they want. My father worked at the USPS and there were numerous 100% disab

NOSOCALPINOY
Just as a side note, those who have a disability rating of less than 60%, they are not paid by the VA, but comes from one's retired military pension if one has a military pension and that portion debited is non-taxable, unless one is already rated at 100%. 

Once over the 60% disability rating, one's military pension will no longer be reduced and anything over the 60% disability rating all payments will all directly come from the VA non-taxable!

That's why a lot of vets have filed new claims when the presumptive criteria of agent orange added a few other medical conditions and locations where agent orange was used and or stock piled due to the lengthy manifestation stages of some certain now known ailments from which they may have come from aka the term "presumptive criteria" after an extensive medical research concerning the effects of agent orange!  

mpt1947

Just as a side note, those who have a disability rating of less than 60%, they are not paid by the VA, but comes from one's retired military pension if one has a military pension and that portion debited is non-taxable, unless one is already rated at 100%. 
Once over the 60% disability rating, one's military pension will no longer be reduced and anything over the 60% disability rating all payments will all directly come from the VA non-taxable!
That's why a lot of vets have filed new claims when the presumptive criteria of agent orange added a few other medical conditions and locations where agent orange was used and or stock piled due to the lengthy manifestation stages of some certain now known ailments from which they may have come from aka the term "presumptive criteria" after an extensive medical research concerning the effects of agent orange!  

Just to clarify this is for military retired only

Jason S

Just as a side note, those who have a disability rating of less than 60%, they are not paid by the VA, but comes from one's retired military pension if one has a military pension and that portion debited is non-taxable, unless one is already rated at 100%.  Once over the 60% disability rating, one's military pension will no longer be reduced and anything over the 60% disability rating all payments will all directly come from the VA non-taxable!

Concurrent Retirement and Disability Pay (CRDP) is a program that provides certain military retirees a monthly restoration of some or all of their VA disability offset. Qualified military retirees are those with 20 or more years of service who have a service-connected disability of 50% or more. When the CRDP program is fully implemented such members will no longer have their military retirement pay reduced by the amount of their VA disability compensation. 

Unlike the Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC), CRDP is being phased-in (except for those retirees that have a VA rated, service-connected disability rating of 100%). The program began in 2004 and the phase-in will be complete in 2014. The phase-in is progressive. In 2007, the restoration of the offset pay was approximately 50%, by 2009 it will be nearly 85% complete.

You are eligible for CRDP if you meet the following criteria:

• You must be a Military Retiree with 20 or more years of service, including:
    • Chapter 61 Medical Retirees with 20 years or more.
    • National Guard and Reserve with 20 or more - good years. (After drawing a retirement check at age 60)
    • Temporary Early Retirement Authority (TERA) Retirees with less than 20 years of service are also eligible.
  • Have a Service Related VA disability rating of 50% or higher.

Your CRDP payment is a restoration of retired pay. It is taxed and, if applicable, subject to collection actions for alimony, child support, community property, garnishment and government debt just as your retired pay.

Your monthly CRDP amount cannot exceed the lesser of your monthly gross retired pay or VA waiver amount. If you are a disability retiree whose retired pay is calculated using a percentage of disability rather than your years of service, your CRDP cannot exceed the amount your gross retired pay would currently be had it been calculated at retirement using your years of service

Fortunately you do not need to apply, CRDP is automatic. If you qualify you will automatically see an increase in your monthly retirement check.

NOSOCALPINOY

With a rating of 50% or over, CRDP is automatic. If you qualify you will automatically see an increase in your monthly retirement check. I was saying less than 60% in my OP, which says pretty much the same, except for the automatic CRDP at over a 50% rating, but good to know about one's military pay associated with a VA Disability Compensation with a less than a 50-60% rating! Not there yet, but working on it!  

Edited by NOSOCALPINOY
  • 3 weeks later...
thailandphil

Most ratings is what VA calls Service Connected Disabilities. Its injuries or conditions directly connected to your time service. The more severe the condition the higher rating you get from VA. Can take multiple condition or injuries to add up to 100%, but it doesn’t mean your incapacitated. Let’s just say its governments way of compensating you for pain and suffering you received while putting your butt on the line for your country.

Yes you can work without losing any of your benefits except those veterans who have Unimployability as part of their rating. If they work they run the risk of VA holding back some benefits.

You haft to remember that most of those that served in combat zones were just kids and trust me their world was forever changed. So any benefits we receive is not a gift “WE EARNED IT’’ We sure didn’t do it for the $

• Like 1