Can someone explain what 100% disability means?

mpt1947

That is the catch 22 with the VA Disability system. It is almost impossible to know for sure if a disability someone is claiming, is from their military service 30-40 years prior unless they had a documented accident while on active duty. Personally, I agree with everything you said and I will take it a step further and say IMO I think there are a lot more younger Veterans playing the system than people realize or are willing to say.

What I can’t wrap my mind around is how someone that has a 100% service connected disability through the VA, without any outward physical issues, can work a full time job and be mentally and physically stable enough to do it. Yet someone that is a triple amputee, and is obviously screwed for life, gets the same 100% rating and doesn't get any more assistance from the government. 

Well I was going to try and not respond unless the questions showed up in the Military Forum, but this one deserves an answer - 

First the reason why some of us older people are able to claim disabilities 40+ years after the fact, is that for some illness related to Agent Orange, the VA presumes that if you have certain diseases and you served in an area that was sprayed with Agent Orange, that your exposure is probably Service Connected.  That is why it is so important that you hang on to the original copy of your DD214 and as you need copies you can order certified copies as you need them.

The second part of your statement regarding why a triple amputee doesn't get more money than someone who, like myself, has no outward signs of disability.  The Triple Amputee can apply for additional benefits that will raise the compensation over the 100% mark.  This link may be helpful   http://www.benefits.va.gov/COMPENSATION/resources-rates-read-compAndSMC.asp

• Like 1
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• mpt1947

• Salty Dog

• contraman

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of the things I have experienced in some bars here in Cebu, are guys openly boasting about how they are using the system to collect money that (even they know) they are fraudulently claiming.  

Whatever 100% disability for vets means, it means that a VA doctor who is told to reject as many claims as possible, has decided that the person in question is entitled to that rating and while I did

I've seen many so called 100% disabled veterans that work full time, play tennis, ride a motorcycle or do just about anything they want. My father worked at the USPS and there were numerous 100% disab

lamoe

Were you ever in the military and received military wages? I imagine or assume you did not, since you asked that question! 

I remember back in the days when some of the military member's wives and children in tow were at the check out counter paying for their groceries with food stamps they got from the Welfare Department!

Only after 30 to 40 yrs later did things get better for the men and women in all branches of the military when it comes to their military wages, benefits and allowances!  

So, all of you civilians out there and or disgruntled military retirees, don't begrudge us our earned entitlements for performing our obligated duties for our country, the United States of America!    

Millington Tennessee - 1968 -  married - E3 - was told you WILL NOT apply for public assistance

• Administrator
Salty Dog

That's why the new VA agent orange criteria says it's "presumptive in nature" as long it was stored, transferred and eventually used where one was stationed at!

What's so difficult about comprehending VA's new ruling?

I didn't say I couldn't comprehend the rules, new or otherwise.

Just being in a country where Agent Orange is used or stored is a lot different than being exposed to it.   Lile a previous poster stated, it was stored in Thailand and even the USA. You can be around the most deadly substance in the world, but if it's stored or enclosed in a air/liquid tight container, you can hardly say you were exposed to it.

Is that a false statement? In fact after reading the requirements from the VA for determining exposure for those people serving in Thailand, it appears that my statement is pretty much dead on.

That's why the new VA agent orange criteria says it's "presumptive in nature" as long it was stored, transferred and eventually used where one was stationed at!

Stored, transferred and eventually used is very much different than what I said.

Walking down the aisle at a hardware store doesn't expose me to chemicals stored on the shelves. If I buy one of those chemicals, take it home and use it. There is as good chance I could be exposed to it.

What new ruling? The site you quoted below was just adding an additional 3 conditions to the those conditions already accepted as "Presumptive Diseases" for Agent Orange. If there are new rules in addition to this, I didn't see them in the sites you referenced. The presumed exposure by anyone stationed in Vietnam has been around since 1991.

On October 13, 2009, the Secretary of Veterans Affairs (VA) announced that three new conditions would be added to the list of diseases presumptively associated with exposure to certain herbicide agents: hairy cell and other B-cell leukemias, Parkinson's disease, and ischemic heart disease. This web site was created to provide general information about filing claims for service connection for these conditions.

VA began adjudicating these claims on October 30, 2010.

http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/agentorange/locations/vietnam.asp

For the purposes of VA compensation benefits, Veterans who served anywhere in Vietnam between January 9, 1962 and May 7, 1975 are presumed to have been exposed to herbicides, as specified in the Agent Orange Act of 1991.

These Veterans do not need to show that they were exposed to Agent Orange or other herbicides in order to get disability compensation for diseases related to Agent Orange exposure.

However in your case since you were stationed in Thailand, you have to prove exposure. Note the last paragraph below.

http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/agentorange/locations/thailand.asp

Thailand Military Bases and Agent Orange Exposure

Vietnam-era Veterans whose service involved duty on or near the perimeters of military bases in Thailand anytime between February 28, 1961 and May 7, 1975 may have been exposed to herbicides and may qualify for VA benefits.

U.S. Air Force Veterans who served on Royal Thai Air Force (RTAF) bases at U-Tapao, Ubon, Nakhon Phanom, Udorn, Takhli, Korat, and Don Muang, near the air base perimeter anytime between February 28, 1961 and May 7, 1975.

To receive benefits for diseases associated with herbicide exposure, these Veterans must show on a factual basis that they were exposed to herbicides during their service as shown by evidence of daily work duties, performance evaluation reports, or other credible evidence.

• Like 1
smokey

So you were right in it, but you don't have a disability.

NO I do not have one of the many cancers know to be caused by agent orange so no cancer no money

smokey

So you were right in it, but you don't have a disability.

I stand corrected I do have a shrapnel  wounds or I should say 3 .. two are still in there I was offered Io take a disability way back when but I was already making very good money( 4 times more then they offered ))  and felt as long as I could work do so and leave the funds to those who needed them more.. I was in 3 helicopter crashes one was really bad and out of the 5 of us on board 3 passed of course not me it hurt like hell but time heals all   //////     after I stopped working and sold my business I did apply for and receive 30% first day out..

Edited by smokey
  • Like 4
smokey

Were you ever in the military and received military wages? I imagine or assume you did not, since you asked that question! 

I remember back in the days when some of the military member's wives and children in tow were at the check out counter paying for their groceries with food stamps they got from the Welfare Department!

Only after 30 to 40 yrs later did things get better for the men and women in all branches of the military when it comes to their military wages, benefits and allowances!  

So, all of you civilians out there and or disgruntled military retirees, don't begrudge us our earned entitlements for performing our obligated duties for our country, the United States of America!    

oh I agree there starting wages were 97 dollars ... in viet nam with combat pay and flight pay I made almost 300 a month ... it was not till I think the mid 70sss that the pay started to go up so they could have an all volunteer military

• Administrator
Salty Dog

Well I was going to try and not respond unless the questions showed up in the Military Forum, but this one deserves an answer - 

First the reason why some of us older people are able to claim disabilities 40+ years after the fact, is that for some illness related to Agent Orange, the VA presumes that if you have certain diseases and you served in an area that was sprayed with Agent Orange, that your exposure is probably Service Connected.  That is why it is so important that you hang on to the original copy of your DD214 and as you need copies you can order certified copies as you need them.

The second part of your statement regarding why a triple amputee doesn't get more money than someone who, like myself, has no outward signs of disability.  The Triple Amputee can apply for additional benefits that will raise the compensation over the 100% mark.  This link may be helpful   http://www.benefits.va.gov/COMPENSATION/resources-rates-read-compAndSMC.asp

Though you didn't quote my post, Jason referred to mine in his.

I knew some Vets would feel defensive. but there is no reason to.

No one has said people exposed to Agent Orange shouldn't be compensated for disabilities caused by the exposure.

All I was saying is just because a person is a Vet and has something the matter with them. It isn't necessarily service connected.

If you've never met someone playing the system who doesn't deserve it (some even by their own admission) than you've met the good ones.

I've already been called a disgruntled military retire just for speaking my mind and I'm sure the shit will hit the fan later. I am by no means disgruntled about being a military retire.

Take the following statement: "Yes, the U.S. government has been begrudgingly denying a lot of VA claims from Veterans from military service connected disabilities."

I've never met a Vet who was denied that didn't say pretty much the same thing. Isn't it just as likely that some are turned down because they should be?

• Like 2
jtmwatchbiz

there are two sides to every story so despite your proud declarations of selfless service, it seems like the United States of America doesn't agree that you earned "entitlements" over and above your pay and retirement as they have repeatedly denied your disability claims so perhaps the VA doctors had valid reasons? perhaps you could fall under the "disgruntled military retiree" heading?

• Like 3
NOSOCALPINOY
Comments and opinions on here are getting a little out of hand and full of BS and contradictions as to what the VA is trying to provide or accomplish for deserving veterans of past and present armed conflicts who sustained varying types of disabilities beyond their control!  

To add to concerning of claims being denied is the fault of the claims process itself where the veteran had no knowledge of the procedures as to where and how to begin the claims process when benefits were available! A lot of vets are not college graduates or capable of writing long complicated structured sentences dealing with medical terms or have use of computers and the internet. I know I didn't when I left active duty and that's where the fault laid and began on my part! So, with all the internet information, I now have all the facts to refile my old previous and new claims that now I may have a good case this 2nd time around for approval or an adjustment to my present disability rating since my medical conditions has gotten progressively worse over the years related to my service connected disability!     

Now that there is assistance available to the veterans filing their disability claims, more and more qualified vets are getting the benefits they well deserve! 

I'm not going to do a rebuttal from a lot of critic's remarks and or opinions on here, just no point in it! 

Some on here just will "disagree to agree", enjoy yanking everyone's chain or whatever! I've had my say and that will do as to get my last words in! I'm done with this thread and or topic! It's just becoming a all too ridiculous unsympathetic circle jerk against veterans who did their duty for their country!            

jtmwatchbiz

Some on here just will "disagree to agree", enjoy yanking everyone's chain or whatever! I've had my say and that will do as to get my last words in! I'm done with this thread and or topic! It's just becoming a all too ridiculous unsympathetic circle jerk against veterans who did their duty for their country!

in a forum discussion is expected along with differing opinions, so rather than freak out when someone does not agree with you simply understand that there are exceptions to every situation and you are glossing over the glaring abuses to the disability system. there is no chain yanking or circle jerks going on here so don't start yet again with another tirade on how the forum is filled with big meanies...there are simply some who don't agree with you and that's that.

• Like 3
cebubird

Since this turned into a thread concerning ONLY US vets, wonder why this was never moved.

I have a comment to make about older vets now filing claims. I am one of those who didn't have a clue that I could even go to a VA and make co-payments for care, until a person at a dinner party in 2004, upon learning I was a Viet vet, asked if I used the VA clinic.

After using/paying for my treatment for few years, primary care physician remarked that all my issues had begun WHILE in service, and why I had never filed a claim.

I would imagine there are still lots of vets who do not have a clue they are eligible for VA treatment.

• Like 3
ozboy

Well seeing im supposed to have started this ''tirade'' can I ask one more question >>> NOSOCAl....if you have so many ongoing disability issues, don't you think that retiring in a third world country is not the smartest choice to make? BUT having said that its your happiness that is the principal decision maker...

jtmwatchbiz

Since this turned into a thread concerning ONLY US vets, wonder why this was never moved.

I have a comment to make about older vets now filing claims. I am one of those who didn't have a clue that I could even go to a VA and make co-payments for care, until a person at a dinner party in 2004, upon learning I was a Viet vet, asked if I used the VA clinic.

After using/paying for my treatment for few years, primary care physician remarked that all my issues had begun WHILE in service, and why I had never filed a claim.

I would imagine there are still lots of vets who do not have a clue they are eligible for VA treatment.

yes you are right and i'm sure the VA will compensate just claims. however when the VA repeatedly refuses claims filed by an individual there may be some merit to their decisions no?

NOSOCALPINOY

Well seeing im supposed to have started this ''tirade'' can I ask one more question >>> NOSOCAl....if you have so many ongoing disability issues, don't you think that retiring in a third world country is not the smartest choice to make? BUT having said that its your happiness that is the principal decision maker...

My disabilities, medical conditions are all manageable through medication, reimbursable through TRICARE, not through the VA and has nothing to do where I should or should not live! We have been living in the Philippines going on 17 years now! Does that answer your question?   

lamoe

One more side of the coin - 4 now? -  I stated several times I spent 11 months in and out (mostly in) the Navel Hospital near Paris Island. 1970 /71

Please note dates - before Agent Orange acknowledged.

They couldn't diagnose what I had, so listed it as food poisoning that developed into ulcers of the intestines that resulted in extreme weight loss - 180 Lbs down to 120 in 4 weeks.. Sent home every day after 1st week in hospital because after that different reports had to be filled. I had to report at 8 am and leave at 5 pm - wife had to drive  - too sick to do it myself - so listed as out patient.  Readmitted as full time patient when I told wife to go back to Chicago because she was becoming a nervous wreck.

Only within the past year have they decide to consider it was Agent Orange related..

Like the VA hospitals now, they didn't want to have any blemishes on their records so broken Coccyx that happened while in hospital not reported - have hearing next week after waiting 3 years for claim to be processed.

• Like 2