tom_shor
What jobs??? You mean the millions of jobs that would be available here if the politicians were not trying to force international investments and companies out? Imagine if they just let one major international corporation in here to operate without all the stupid stuff, could you easily say at least 10k jobs from one small state-of-the-art plant.

Maybe if they stopped auctioning of all the rice the government brings in and sell it themselves then there would be less starving people. I don't know about you, but the 1 gallon cans of peanut butter in the States that are distributed by the government is actually very good believe it or not.

-Nick

What is better? Development that comes from a fickle foreign corporation that can come and go as they wish or development that comes from Filipinos becoming self reliant and starting their own small businesses? A major corporation comes for one reason, low wages, wages go up and they leave. The goal of any development should be to increase wages and the standard of living.

Laws don't need to be changed to let foreign companies more easily exploit Filipinos, instead laws need to be changed for everyone.

- The business permit process needs to be simplified. There needs to be changes in the laws to make it easier for FILIPINOS to start and grow businesses.

- Loan programs need to be initiated to give small businesses access to cheap capital. Financing a small business with a money lender who lends at 4% a month is ridiculous. I don't know about the rest of you, but it's damn difficult to start a business that gives an ROI of more than 4% per month.

- The education system needs to be overhauled. It's appalling how little the government is spending on education despite having some of the highest tax rates in Asia.

The biggest exploiter of poor filipinos is rich filipinos bar none.

They don't want anyone to rock their little boat which is why they won't allow competition. Fair labor laws that were actually enforced would take care of the problems of foreign and domestic exploitation. Yes an increase in entrepanuership would also be a big help to the economy.

mattwilkie
What jobs??? You mean the millions of jobs that would be available here if the politicians were not trying to force international investments and companies out? Imagine if they just let one major international corporation in here to operate without all the stupid stuff, could you easily say at least 10k jobs from one small state-of-the-art plant.

Maybe if they stopped auctioning of all the rice the government brings in and sell it themselves then there would be less starving people. I don't know about you, but the 1 gallon cans of peanut butter in the States that are distributed by the government is actually very good believe it or not.

-Nick

What is better? Development that comes from a fickle foreign corporation that can come and go as they wish or development that comes from Filipinos becoming self reliant and starting their own small businesses? A major corporation comes for one reason, low wages, wages go up and they leave. The goal of any development should be to increase wages and the standard of living.

Laws don't need to be changed to let foreign companies more easily exploit Filipinos, instead laws need to be changed for everyone.

- The business permit process needs to be simplified. There needs to be changes in the laws to make it easier for FILIPINOS to start and grow businesses.

- Loan programs need to be initiated to give small businesses access to cheap capital. Financing a small business with a money lender who lends at 4% a month is ridiculous. I don't know about the rest of you, but it's damn difficult to start a business that gives an ROI of more than 4% per month.

- The education system needs to be overhauled. It's appalling how little the government is spending on education despite having some of the highest tax rates in Asia.

The biggest exploiter of poor filipinos is rich filipinos bar none.

They don't want anyone to rock their little boat which is why they won't allow competition. Fair labor laws that were actually enforced would take care of the problems of foreign and domestic exploitation. Yes an increase in entrepanuership would also be a big help to the economy.

Thats for sure, Who owns all the colleges that send all the nurses abroad btw?? They dont want a change in the economy just fly another 500,000 people overseas to offset any serious lack of cash for the average filipino instead also there is a lack of concern that nearly 10million people are missing working abroad to keep families afloat. I wonder what would happen if they all stopped sending money home.

I said income... not profits.

Exxon Oil took in more than 400 billion in income last year... Microsoft had 51 bil last year... General Motors had 47 bil... Toyota had 232 bil... Walmart had 378 bil last year.. and theres more but I am too busy to look up all the exact figures.

Ayala (the riches Filipino by the way) only had 368 mil last year... Philippine airlines was only 140 mil last year...

Of course these are all in US Dollars and not Pesos.

Income? You said make in your previous post which left it open that you could possible mean revenue. But we can say income. Let's look at some definitions.

http://www.investorwords.com/2400/income.html

income

Definition 1

For corporations, revenues minus cost of sales, operating expenses, and taxes, over a given period of time.

profit

Definition

The positive gain from an investment or business operation after subtracting for all expenses. opposite of loss.

While not 100% the same, for our purposes, income and profit are the synonymous. Of course, you might know more than the experts. It's important to note that revenue and income are DIFFERENT,

Exxon Mobil had revenues of nearly $400 billlion last year. You say that there income was the same. In other words you are making the extraordinary claim that Exxon Mobil had no expenses last year. I find it incredulous.

You are saying that Wal-mart had $378 billion dollar of income last year. I find that incredible as well. I know Wal-Mart pays lousy wages and plays hardball with their suppliers to get the lowest prices possible, but I think it's pretty well impossible for Wal-Mart to have zero expenses, paying zero wages and zero benefits and zero for the products for their stores, zero for electricity, etc.

Just some friendly advice, it might be a good idea to know the difference between revenue and income before you go into business.

On your discussion of Philippine companies, you decided to use income figures instead of the revenue figures you used for US companies in an attempt to prove your point. I'd like to suggest that you go back and review your figures for accuracy.

I hope we can both agree that the problem is the impediments to business that exist. It's not about foreign or local businesses as much as it is the protectionism of the status quo by government officials.

Just look at the hell that Mayor Jonas Cortes is going through in Mandaue City. He came in fighting against corruption and the powers that be are fighting for corruption. The Sun Star is constantly laying into attacks on him.

Can you believe that they lambasted him for bringing in members of his family into unpaid positions to oversee corruption prone city departments? His reason was that he could trust his family members to tell him about corrupt practices. The city departments didn't like someone pointing out their corruption.

FYI, Mayor Cortes is married to a woman from Texas.