Post topics in their appropriate forums

• Admin (Retired)
broden

keep in mind what Paul is really talking about in this thread isn't people taking a thread off topic or posts being put in the off topic forum when perhaps they might fit in another sub-forum but rather people who just post a thread about whatever where ever with total disregard for the forum(sub-forum) they are posting in

of course it will happen accidentally some times but Paul as the forum founder feels it is happening far too often to be accidental and is falling more in to carelessness

• Like 2
SkyMan

or posts being put in the off topic forum when perhaps they might fit in another sub-forum

I think there are some that automatically post everything in OT without bothering to look for a better (more specific) forum.
Kuting

I have attempted by gently nudging, to get members to post topics in their appropriate forums. Obviously, as was with going off topic and personal attacks, that doesn't work. So, effective immediately, whenever I come across a topic that is in the wrong forum, especially if it were posted by a seasoned member who should know damned well that we have specific forums for specific topics, I will simply delete it.

It is not that difficult of a task, to ask that you folks post your topics in their respective forums. That make it easier for new members to find the information contained in those forums. Not to mention, a topic about cars should not be in the building forum, for example. 

So, if you see a thread gone that you started, it is probably because you chose to post it in the wrong forum - and I found it before another kinder, gentler staff member did. I will not notify each member after deleting a topic they posted in the wrong forum.

To be honest though, i do struggle at times which forum does a thread belong to. For example, my question on "relocation packages", i wasn't sure where it belonged so dumped it into "general philippine info"... But wasn't sure if there was a more specific category... I cant find the general advice forum either, my eyes might need checking!

• Like 1
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

at least they are specifically putting it there (in ot)

what i think happens often though with putting threads in the wrong forum is people are reading in a given sub=forum then think of something they want to post or ask start a new thread in the sub-forum they are already in and reading with out any regard for that sub-forums topic... as Paul said more understandable with new members but not so much with long time members

Paul

keep in mind what Paul is really talking about in this thread isn't people taking a thread off topic or posts being put in the off topic forum when perhaps they might fit in another sub-forum but rather people who just post a thread about whatever where ever with total disregard for the forum(sub-forum) they are posting in

of course it will happen accidentally some times but Paul as the forum founder feels it is happening far too often to be accidental and is falling more in to carelessness

Absolutely, spot on. I am speaking in general terms throughout the forum. This is not happening only in specific forums. But, it is going to come to an end. 

I'm not being a hard ass here, folks. I am trying to make it easier for those (seasoned and new) members and guests of the site, who come for given information, which should be offered in specific forums.

• Like 1
Paul
On 5/14/2014 at 7:55 AM, Katrinamona said:

To be honest though, i do struggle at times which forum does a thread belong to. For example, my question on "relocation packages", i wasn't sure where it belonged so dumped it into "general philippine info"... But wasn't sure if there was a more specific category... I cant find the general advice forum either, my eyes might need checking!

If you find you use one forum more than others, for posting your specific topics, you can bookmark that forum, or even the category it is listed under.

If you are not 100% sure where a specific topic should go, just ask any staff member. Contact them by PM, and let them know you are not sure which would be best suited for it. They will help you. 

Alternatively, post it in the forum you think is best, and then shoot me a PM with a link to your topic. If I feel it should be moved, I will do so. When a member at least puts effort behind it, it is no bother at all. 

Ok, maybe I haven't looked in the right place......How do you find a Staff Member? are they marked as such on the Members list? I havn't looked yet just came on and read this post so inserted question....thanks.

Brucewayne

Or do what I do and yell at Broden, he's always breaking something, then blaming it on poor old Steve!

• Like 2
Paul

Ok, maybe I haven't looked in the right place......How do you find a Staff Member? are they marked as such on the Members list? I havn't looked yet just came on and read this post so inserted question....thanks.

In threads, if you look at the information under the poster's user names, staff will have "Moderator", "Global Mod", "Forum Admin", "Code Admin", or "Founder" written on their team icons. More information here: User Groups Explained

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1