Post topics in their appropriate forums

Paul

I have attempted by gently nudging, to get members to post topics in their appropriate forums. Obviously, as was with going off topic and personal attacks, that doesn't work. So, effective immediately, whenever I come across a topic that is in the wrong forum, especially if it were posted by a seasoned member who should know damned well that we have specific forums for specific topics, I will simply delete it.

It is not that difficult of a task, to ask that you folks post your topics in their respective forums. That make it easier for new members to find the information contained in those forums. Not to mention, a topic about cars should not be in the building forum, for example. 

So, if you see a thread gone that you started, it is probably because you chose to post it in the wrong forum - and I found it before another kinder, gentler staff member did. I will not notify each member after deleting a topic they posted in the wrong forum.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 2
SkyMan

Thanks Paul.  Getting tired of moving threads.  Not everything needs dumped in the Off-Topic forum.  In fact, very little should go in Off Topic as we have a lot of broad forum categories and surely you can find something to put your post in besides OT.

Jim Sibbick

Not everything needs dumped in the Off-Topic forum.  In fact, very little should go in Off Topic as we have a lot of broad forum categories and surely you can find something to put your post in besides OT.

Sorry, I disagree.

Most of the posts I read are off topic. Especially all the posts in world news. It is not world news when it is about a local planning decision in a city in the USA and waht does the rest of the world care about today's weather in the USA

• Like 1
Paul

Sorry, I disagree.

Most of the posts I read are off topic. Especially all the posts in world news. It is not world news when it is about a local planning decision in a city in the USA and waht does the rest of the world care about today's weather in the USA

Hi Jim,

Well, World News is still World News, regardless of the country it is posted about. 

The only topics that should go into the Off-Topic Forum are topics that do not fit in any other forum. With the numbers of forums we have available, this should leave very few, relatively speaking, to be posted in Off Topic. 

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

Another problem is a few members can turn any thread about anything into a political rant. Seems no matter what a topic is about, even if it's local, someone brings up the O word or the B word.

It's down right hilarious how some can turn the most innocent topic into a political rant.

Okay maybe not so funny for the Mods who are always having to move them when they started off fine in the proper forum.

Sent from Note 3

• Like 1
Paul

I am talking about the original poster, typically being a seasoned member here, posting a topic about say, roofing materials, but posting his topic in the vehicles forum. I see this all too often, and have for a while now.

So, if people don't care where they post their threads, I won't care about hitting the delete button. 

The staff are here to assist members with proper operation of the forum software, to keep topics on topic, to let members know when they are crossing lines, and to warn members who have crossed the lines. While yes, we also move topics from forum to forum, that should be more of something to help new members get accustomed to proper posting of topics in their respective forums. It should not have to be done for a member with 4,000 posts, for example. That is just laziness on the part of the member. "Oh well. Paul or another member of the staff will move the thread. They have plenty of time on their hands." 

Well, maybe I am a little slow (or very slow) since this is the only forum I have ever belonged to but (excuse my language) I am playing hell, trying to find subjects to read on or post in......and that is why I always say (not sure it is ok to post here) I do the best I can so accept my apologizes (when) I am wrong... What I have been doing is if I think I am in the right place I read some of the other peoples post to see what they have said......

• Administrator
Salty Dog

Well, maybe I am a little slow (or very slow) since this is the only forum I have ever belonged to but (excuse my language) I am playing hell, trying to find subjects to read on or post in......and that is why I always say (not sure it is ok to post here) I do the best I can so accept my apologizes (when) I am wrong... What I have been doing is if I think I am in the right place I read some of the other peoples post to see what they have said......

Just bounce it off of a Mod before you post it.

I've done that for topics I wanted to start and even before posting a few post to make sure I wouldn't get myself in hot water with the powers to be. :good:

Edited by Salty Dog
  • Like 1
KennyF

While we're at it, how about topic headings that mean something?

"You won't believe this"

"Radishes"

"We won"

"Just wondering"

"Would it work"

"Is it true?"

They just don't mean anything and I for one don't open them.

KonC

• Like 2
Headshot

Another problem is a few members can turn any thread about anything into a political rant. Seems no matter what a topic is about, even if it's local, someone brings up the O word or the B word.

It's down right hilarious how some can turn the most innocent topic into a political rant.

Okay maybe not so funny for the Mods who are always having to move them when they started off fine in the proper forum.

While it is true that some members can turn any topic into a political rant, I do wish that those starting new topics based on "news stories" about hot button political and religious topics would NOT post them under world news. You know what forums they will end up in anyway, so please post them in the politics and religion forums to start with. That way, people can post their views freely without getting their hands slapped by a mod. So, if you read an article that you think will generate discussion on LinC Forums, ask yourself, "Why would people want to comment on this?" If the answer is due to political or religious views, then start the topic in the right forum. Look at the political and religion forums and see if the new topic can be placed in one of them.

• Like 3
samatm

Does the  forum software allow for a drop down box where  at a glance the appropriate forum could be found and selected?     That would help Bunches! 

• Like 1
Mikala

Does the  forum software allow for a drop down box where  at a glance the appropriate forum could be found and selected?     That would help Bunches! 

I agree! Every time I post, I scroll down thru the list of forums. Most end up in "Off Topic" even after I consider where it belongs. I guess I'm an "off topic" kind of guy!  :yahoo:

• Like 1
SkyMan

Another problem is a few members can turn any thread about anything into a political rant. Seems no matter what a topic is about, even if it's local, someone brings up the O word or the B word. It's down right hilarious how some can turn the most innocent topic into a political rant.

When you see any of this, a member trying to turn an innocent thread to a political or religious angle, report it. And as Headshot said, if your OP is most likely to generate such comments, put it one of those forums or post a warning that you don't want the thread to turn that way. If the thread is viewed to be too difficult to be discussed without religious or political views being expressed it will be moved anyway but please help us out and put it there right off. Edited by SkyMan
SkyMan

Yeah it is really getting annoying all those posts about farming in Cambodia in the http://www.livingincebuforums.com/forum/85-farming-gardening-in-the-philippines/:shitstormretarded:

Hadn't read that one so I banned the OP. Thanks for pointing that one out. Hehehe

Ok, actually the info there is pretty much as relevant in Cebu as in Cambodia so really no problem.