Health Insurance in Cebu which is best and more affordable for fixed lower income expat?

Greetings:

I have a question about Health Insurance...This is one reason I decided to join a forum so that I can ask questions like this and 'hopefully' get an honest non-judgmental ANSWER ONLY to the question I ask...

I have accepted the consequences of living here on such low fixed income so if you can just accept that and give me an honest answer I will be thankful.

I have been told that Phil-Health would be the best, however I have a lot of pre-existings.

This would be for my wife and I (No Children)....

Anyone know the costs now?

Where is the office (Cebu)

I have never used a runner before for anything but our Landlady's Mother says she can sign us up for Phil-Health (I am uncomfortable with this)...but I am home-bound and it would be nice...or should only my wife be the one to do it....(She does everything else).....

ADVICE....ADVICE...ADVICE... :help:

Lee

Phil Health office is in Golden Peak Hotel on Gorordo and Escario. That health insurance is bare minimum coverage but better than nothing.

Most other healthcare would exempt preexisting conditions, if you wish to know about some others then you can contact Paul at Cebu Expat Services, I believe there is one which does not exempt but it is pretty expensive. 

• Like 1

Phil Health office is in Golden Peak Hotel on Gorordo and Escario. That health insurance is bare minimum coverage but better than nothing.

Its good  for the money you pay, only 2400 pesos a year!

• Like 1
ozboy

Pre_existing conditions is problematic with most health insurers but its worse in Phil. where they will go out of their way to try n connect any claim with some pre illness you never disclosed, even if its the first time you yourself knew you had such ''condition''

BUT for general accidents and common sickness like say Dengue, then Philhealth is good enough.....If you have a major health concern that maybe ongoing then living here is not in your best interest or have plenty of funds in reserve to cover meds n possible hospital costs..

Just my opinion here...

Edited by ozboy
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

If memory serves me right, Philhealth covers pre-existing illness so long as your qualified to get covered by them and since you have a Filipina wife, then she should get philhealth and she'll put you under her.

It should be noted that although cheap, you'll only be covered by around 10% of costs in private hospitals although free (or almost free except the medications) in gov't owned hospitals that's of course if you can tolerate it.

HMO, the health insurance offered to most BPO businesses here will cost you atleast 15,000/year and given your an individual, not many will cover individuals (only groups). I've talked with Medicare and they offer individual coverage for around 20,000/year but of course, not including pre-existing illness.

My American relatives usually just travel back to the US if there's an illness that needs surgery, etc. This is something I'm looking to have for myself and wify so we won't be a burden to our only son if given the chance to grow old and more sickly.

Majorsco

It should be noted that although cheap, you'll only be covered by around 10% of costs in private hospitals although free

Actually, it's more like 30-40%, but depends on the private hospital prices.  I know here in Dipolog area, it covers almost 40%.  Also note, that for some diseases, you need additional riders which cost more such as for TB, Dengue and a few others.  You don't have to buy those in advance, but you needs to pay for those when diagnosed.

spooks

2400 a year for Phil Health in my wife's name covers all 4 of us plus nanai

easy44

They pay much more than 10 percent. My gf was just in Ormoc Doctors Hospital for 2 days and her total bill was roughly 19,000 pesos. Phil Health paid 11,700 pesos and I paid 7,300 pesos. This includes the doctors fee. These are actual figures as of May 9, 2014. Considering what she has paid in to Phil Health over the last couple of years this is a fantastic return.

You can enroll as a foreigner without being married to a Filipina. I just did here in Ormoc, fee is 2400 pesos per year.

Considering the benefits, you can't beat the cost/benefit ratio anywhere. If you haven't signed up, I would suggest you do so as soon as possible. What have you got to lose?

Edited by easy44
  • Like 5

They pay much more than 10 percent. My gf was just in Ormoc Doctors Hospital fo 2 days and her total bill was roughly 19,000 pesos. Phil Health paid 11,700 pesos and I paid 7,300 pesos. This includes the doctors fee. These are actual figures as of May 9, 2014. Considering what she has payed in to Phil Health ove the last couple of years this is a fantastic return.

You can enroll as a foreigner without being married to a Filipina. I just did here in Ormoc, fee is 2400 pesos per year.

Considering the benefits, you can't beat the cost/benefit ratio anywhere. If you haven't signed up, I would suggest you do so as soon as possible. What have you got to lose?

That is good to hear that a foreigner can get Phi Health and does not have to be married, I was told you had to be married to get Phil Health. My gf is in it and it was a great help when she was in hospital, she went to OSPA and not to Ormoc Doctors Hospital.So i will joining up when i come over again in July :)

and it is cheap to join as well..

• Like 1

Great to hear that Philhealth pays more than 10% as of late. I know they have increased the contributions too.

I was basing my comment 5 years ago when my wify gave birth via C-section and we were billed around 80,000 pesos which philhealth took around 10,000 back then.

I guess it will also depend on many other circumstances. 

Majorsco

Great to hear that Philhealth pays more than 10% as of late. I know they have increased the contributions too.

I was basing my comment 5 years ago when my wify gave birth via C-section and we were billed around 80,000 pesos which philhealth took around 10,000 back then.

I guess it will also depend on many other circumstances. 

Not as of late.  They have been paying the 40% or more, for many years.  It's not new and not tied to their new rates.

Sven

I'd also like to confirm that a foreigner can sign up for Philhealth without being married. The visa situation doesn't matter either.

And it is easy - just take your passport to a Philhealth office and get it sorted in an hour.

They have a branch in Ayala (top floor), one in Robinsons and probably one in SM. Details are on the web.

The reason Philhealth is such a great deal is that it is subsidized by the government, I believe. So it is a no-brainer - just sign up.

The OP also asked if he should trust a middleman with the task of signing up (and paying, i suppose). NO!

fred42

They pay much more than 10 percent. My gf was just in Ormoc Doctors Hospital for 2 days and her total bill was roughly 19,000 pesos. Phil Health paid 11,700 pesos and I paid 7,300 pesos. This includes the doctors fee. These are actual figures as of May 9, 2014. Considering what she has paid in to Phil Health over the last couple of years this is a fantastic return.

My Mrs spent 4 days in private hospital a month ago.. Total bill was P26,000

Phil health paid 6,000.

• Like 1
easy44

My Mrs spent 4 days in private hospital a month ago.. Total bill was P26,000

Phil health paid 6,000.

I'm sure there are variables that determine how much Phil Health pays.  My gf stayed in a ward, not a private room, and she had pneumonia.  I have heard that some hospitals may determine prices based on what type of accomodation you choose.  Also, she was told her coverage was better because she is registered with PH as a private member, not part of an organization or business.  I really don't know for sure how much these factors affected her coverage, but PH paid more than 60% of the bill and I'm not complaining!  I'm afraid to ask because they might want it back, LOL!