Sign in to follow this  
Majorsco

Aussie Married Filipina Without Knowing

Majorsco

About a week ago, a former boyfriend of my children's yaya,an Aussie, found out that he married a Filipina without knowing it.

This guy, who I met a few months ago, when he dated my kids yaya, was in a hurry to settle down and get married.  He was very interested in my kids yaya, who is a very nice girl of 23, who also wants to marry soon.  He was already wanting to fill out the marriage paperwork even before they met face to face.  Well once they met, she found him to be a drunk, and a bit of a verbal abuser.  She dropped him at the end of his trip after giving him a second and third chance to see if they had a future together.

Well he apparently then found a Filipina in Manila to date and he recently did the same thing.  Wanting to fill out the marriage license paperwork and get his capacity to marry to get it all ready so he could marry at the soonest opportunity.  Well, he found out that she was a clerk at a hotel catering to prostitutes, etc. and basically caught her in a host of lies.  He dropped her.

However, before he found out about the lies, apparently he though he was filling out a marriage license, but in actuality, it was a marriage certificate duly sworn by a witness with a judge.  The witness was the aunt of the girl, and the judge was a friend of the aunt.  Well, no actual marriage ceremony took place to his knowledge, but, the NSO is now saying the marriage is complete.  The Aussie paid 15000 php to facilitate the paperwork, thinking it was the marriage license, but since he didn't read it, ended up married.

He's now trying to see what he can do through the Australian Embassy to see if he can get out of it, as he didn't know he was getting married and there was not even 10 days from start of paperwork till he he left, so he didn't meet the mandatory 10 day waiting period.  However, since the judge said not to date the papers when they were signed, it folded into the scam.

Just posting as a warning.  This particular guy was not too bright, being too much in a hurry to marry the first girl that would have him, and not reading what he signed.  

Is there any legal way he can get out of the so-called marriage?  My kids yaya, still has feelings for him and thought he might be able to be rehabilitated until he did this, and he wasn't even drunk.

• Like 1

spooks

he can get divorced in Aussie and it is legally accepted in the Philippines.

he can of course engage an attorney and spend a huge bundle in the Philippines court system. he would need to be overseas whilst he did that as it may otherwise affect his health and longevity taking a Judge to court etc

i

• Like 2

Majorsco

he can get divorced in Aussie and it is legally accepted in the Philippines.

I was thinking the same thing, but although recognized, it would not allow him to marry again in the Philippines without an annulment.  I have a niece who's about to marry an American who was formerly married to a Filipina, divorced in the US, but wants to marry my niece here in the Philippines, so he has just finished the required annulment process.

Alan S

I can imagine doing a number of things without realising it, but this is the first time I have heard of anyone "inadvertantly" getting married!

• Like 3

contraman

Sometimes I just wonder at the things some people do or are they just taking the p155 out of us.?

• Like 4

Paul

He's now trying to see what he can do through the Australian Embassy to see if he can get out of it, as he didn't know he was getting married and there was not even 10 days from start of paperwork till he he left, so he didn't meet the mandatory 10 day waiting period.  However, since the judge said not to date the papers when they were signed, it folded into the scam.

Was he in the country longer than 10 days, total? 

To sort it, he can divorce back home.

However, I believe, in order to sort this in the Philippines (if he were to marry again there), please feel free to confirm this - he has also won the million peso prize - an annulment process. 

ozboy

Anyway even if the marriage was all good he would have a big problem getting her a visa to take her to Oz...if that were his intentions....

• Like 2

Majorsco

Was he in the country longer than 10 days, total? 

No, it was less than the ten days, but it was his second trip to the Philippines within 12 months.

Anyway even if the marriage was all good he would have a big problem getting her a visa to take her to Oz...if that were his intentions....

His original intentions was to marry a girl here in the Philippines, then get a spousal visa and bring her back to Australia.

I don't think that was the girl's intentions.  I think it was her intention to demand spousal support.  I had heard that there is a requirement/law for Australians with spouses overseas, that they had to provide at least a minimum (don't know the amount) of support.  If this is true, then a complaint to the Australian embassy by the girl would force this guy to pay. Not being Australian, I don't know if there is such a law.

• Like 1

hyaku

Was it consummated? He must have bad eyesight to have mistakenly filled in a form that clearly says Husband (top left) and Wife (top right) to be signed at the bottom. Where were the two witnesses?

• Like 2

Majorsco

Was it consummated? He must have bad eyesight to have mistakenly filled in a form that clearly says Husband (top left) and Wife (top right) to be signed at the bottom. Where were the two witnesses?

Yes, and the signatures did occur in front of the judge.  I've heard one witness, the girls aunt, as I had said in the OP.  Don't know if there was another, or if it just wan't relayed to me.  Also, don't know if the Philippines requires two witnesses, like most countries do.  

He says he thought he was just signing a marriage license form, not a marriage certificate, and he said that he trusted the girl.  He didn't find out about the other lies till after when it all blew up.

spooks

He should claim insanity as stupidity is inadmissable

Edited by spooks
  • Like 2

Davaoeno

He says he thought he was just signing a marriage license form

does he speak English ?  can he read ? is he more than 12 years old ?  if all of the above then its hard to feel sorry for the guy 

• Like 9

4thDan

Question?  Can't he get a divorce recognized in OZ? Then bring the "other" one to OZ and marry her there?  Seems being married in the Phils isn't a big deal to begin with....

• Like 1

ROVER

Even though I am new here I feel I should say this: Any divorce that is legal and accepted in the Philippines, gives that person the ability to marry again in the Philippines...and also the Filipina thought she does have to regester the divorce here in PI. (No Annulment is needed to get remarried in the Philippines.

Believe it or not, up until 2005 this had been the Catch-22 scenario for many Filipina women.  Let’s say ‘Joe’ arrives in the year 2000 and marries ‘Grace’, the Filipina.  Two years later, Joe goes back home and gets a legal divorce on Grace.  He is now free to re-marry.  So, Joe returns to the Philippines to find that the Filipino courts still consider her married to him.. but he is no longer married her.  He marries a second Filipina in 2003 and is now married to one woman.. although two women are married to him in return.

This kept the first Filipina wife from being able to meet and marry ‘Bob’ after her husband ‘Joe’ divorced her, because the Filipino government didn’t acknowledge her as divorced.  As you can imagine this caused a lot of hardship and heartache for many Filipinas.

Fortunately.. in 2005 under President Aquino, his Executive Order modified a (then) recent revision of the Family Code to include an amendment giving Philippine citizens the right to re-marry when a legal divorce has been recognized by the home-country of the other (foreign) spouse.  This act, only authorized just 7 years ago finally set free Filipina women to re-marry.  Imagine meeting the woman of your dreams only to find out she is still ‘legally’ married with no ability to divorce?!  Some Filipinas are still unaware of the change in the law and under the impression they cannot re-marry due to a previous marriage to a foreigner.  But.. as long as that previous foreigner has divorced them legally in their own home-country, it now applies for them as well.  For more details and verbiage on this Amendment.. you can (I Believe that I Read in the Rules where we could not put a link without prior permission from admin. but you can look it up on search or if they give me permission I will post it here)

• Like 7