Jump to content

Purchasing a Throw Away Onward ticket


Recommended Posts

bushwacker

Some advice would be appreciated, concerning the need for a Onward Flight Ticket.  If a person was going to visit this country and plans to arrive with and take advantage of the 30 day tourist visa.  And then depending on the level of enjoyment and fun, extend the trip to 2, 3, or even 6 months.  How do they deal with the need to have a ticket for a flight out?

 

Do they just purchase the cheapest one available and throw it away?  It yes, then what destinations are typically purchased?

 

Do people buy open ended tickets that cost more?

 

Advice and recommendations would be appreciated.

 

cheers

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Woolf

    41

  • Monsoon

    29

  • SkyMan

    22

  • Salty Dog

    20

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeh,Well my BB exploits have been unremarkable at the Best. I often don't post in these threads although I'm one to be helpful as I must have done something correct since my first"marital"visit in 198

If you already have a BB stamp in your Passport they quickly move on.

There are always going to be variances.  For example, I once used an onward ticket that was actually plugged into the computer by the BI at Mactan point of entry.  The buggers told me that my ticket i

Posted Images

Majorsco

If a person is coming for a 30 day visit, whether or not there is a potential to extend, would normally have a return ticket, else they may not have been allowed to board the original flight coming here.  I know every time I came to the Philippines from Chicago, 100% of the time my departure ticket was checked.  One time I purchased each ticket separately, because I couldn't get a round trip to meet my needs.  That time, they couldn't easily pull it up because it was two different reservation numbers, and I had to show the outbound ticket and it was scrutinized.

 

However, if a person does get here with only a one way, Immigration may check and if you don't have an exit ticket, they will refuse entry.  If you get past both checks, you're golden, unless at extension time BI asks to see an exit ticket.  One tiime two years ago, I was asked by the BI about my departure ticket.  It happened only once, and fortunately, I was just about to go out on a visa run, so I already had my ticket, which I showed him.

 

I have used throw away tickets twice.  Both times they were to the absolutely cheapest places in terms of fares.  The first two years ago was Hong Kong on Air Asia.  This last time, was Cambodia on Cebu Pacific. 

 

I just consider it part of doing business here, immigration wise.  I don't like it, I just do what's required.

 

Bottom line, if you're only coming for a short trip, even if you extend a few months and you know you're going to leave, my advise is you don't need a throw away, as you'll already have your exit ticket and just may have to change it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Jeepney

Just get the cheapest outward ticket 6/7/8 months after your arrival date, plenty room to maneuver that way!

Then throw it away, or use it!

Maybe it is a idea to get a ticket few days shy of your 6 month stay, then use it as a exit ticket without needing th exit clearance, in case you like to stay longer term.

You can do the same again after that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Mikala

What I've done many times is to buy a ticket on United Airlines website and they will provide a full refund if you cancel it within 24 hours of making the reservation. When I check-in for the flight, the ticketing agent frequently checks that my onward ticket is valid. Then, when I arrive at my destination, I'm free to cancel the flight and get a full refund (if I do it within 24 hours of puchase).

 

Note: I always obey the laws of the country and depart prior to my assigned time (or get an extension).

Edited by Mikala
Link to post
Share on other sites
A_Simple_Man

If you do not get enough replies on this, go to the search (at the top right) and enter 'throw away ticket'.  Search 'forums' and you will get 4 pages of threads

Link to post
Share on other sites

i just got  a throw away ticket cebu to kl for about 19$ oct and jan.this was with airasia

and go end this month

Edited by ron100
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive usually got Clark to Kota Kinibul as the cheapest throw away ..

Link to post
Share on other sites
johnormoc

If you have a pdf editor program, just edit one of your old e-tickets (usually a pdf file) with any return information you want. But use a different airline for the return ticket than the one you are arriving on so that carrier can't check their database to confirm it.  I've done this on 4 different occasions and never had a problem. Twice I was asked to provide my phony ticket and the people at the counter barely looked at it. They just need you to show them something.

Link to post
Share on other sites
JollyJim

If a person arrives with his wife, does the Balikbayan entry need an onward ticket? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

If you have a pdf editor program, just edit one of your old e-tickets (usually a pdf file) with any return information you want. But use a different airline for the return ticket than the one you are arriving on so that carrier can't check their database to confirm it. I've done this on 4 different occasions and never had a problem. Twice I was asked to provide my phony ticket and the people at the counter barely looked at it. They just need you to show them something.

You are seriously mistaken if you think they are unable to confirm tickets for other airlines.

 

Do not listen to the advice given here.

 

 

 

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
bushwacker

Thanks for all of the help.

 

1 clarification if I may.

 

My plan is to arrive and get the 30 day entry.  Will they (departing airline + immigration) accept a return flight of 5 months even though the entry visa is 30 days?

Link to post
Share on other sites
NOSOCALPINOY

If a person arrives with his wife, does the Balikbayan entry need an onward ticket? 

No! It says so here:

post-6728-0-16498400-1399781669_thumb.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
A_Simple_Man

 

 

My plan is to arrive and get the 30 day entry.  Will they (departing airline + immigration) accept a return flight of 5 months even though the entry visa is 30 days?

 

I can say with 100% certainty that there is a 99% chance that the return flight being 5 months away will NOT pose any problem.  The 1% is if you get an immigration official at the gate who is having a bad day as they have the discretion to deny you entry if they think there is a chance you will not be able to get your visa exended after the 30 free days.  I have heard of people (myself included) being threatened with that but I have not yet heard of anyone being denied entry based on that.  However, check with your airline of choice.  It is their decision whether to let you on the plane in the first place if your return ticket is too far away.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

No! It says so here:

 

Memorandum dated May 8, 2012 Return & On-ward Ticket Rule.jpg

It may say so here but they made me have one. It was explained to me this way. My wife is the BB. I just (may) get the BB privilege because we are married. however I'm not a BB myself. If you read some of the rules they define what a BB is and it isn't a non filipino spouse. It does say though that the spouse may be given the privilege.

 

I know people who carry the letter above and argue with the airlines on their return flight about it and can get away with not having an onward ticket. All I'm saying is it's certainly no guarantee. For less than P400 peso for my last throwaway ticket, I prefer to not take a chance.

 

In your case NOSOCALPINOY, being a Filipino pretty much guarantees you would have no problem because you are by definition a BB.

 

Sent from Note 3

Edited by Salty Dog
Link to post
Share on other sites
Majorsco

If you have a pdf editor program, just edit one of your old e-tickets (usually a pdf file) with any return information you want. But use a different airline for the return ticket than the one you are arriving on so that carrier can't check their database to confirm it. I've done this on 4 different occasions and never had a problem. Twice I was asked to provide my phony ticket and the people at the counter barely looked at it. They just need you to show them something.

That only works because the agents are just too lazy to check. They have the ability. Most just ask for the hard copy because it's faster and they're just flat out lazy.

 

If you get caught with a forged/fake ticket when immigration checks you'll be deported and blacklisted.

 

Is cheating worth the risk?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..

Capture.JPG

I Understand...