World's Largest Solar Array - 290 Megawatts Output

Paul

World’s Largest Solar Array Set to Crank Out 290 Megawatts of Sunshine Power

Megaplants like Agua Caliente in Arizona herald a new efficiency in solar-sourced electricity

May 9, 2014 | By Roni Jacobson

Global climate change is here, and it’s only going to get worse, according to a White House report released on Tuesday. To combat rising sea levels and blistering summers, the Obama administration has been pushing for clean, renewable energy sources that cut down on carbon emissions. Now one of its projects is poised to pan out: Agua Caliente, the largest photovoltaic solar power facility in the world, was completed last week in Arizona.

The plant comprises more than five million solar panels that span the equivalent of two Central Parks in the desert between Yuma and Phoenix. It generates 290 megawatts of power—enough electricity to fuel 230,000 homes in neighboring California at peak capacity. The Agua Caliente Solar Project represents a significant advance in the technology compared with just four years ago, when the largest solar facility in the U.S. generated only 20 megawatts. “Solar has completely arrived as a competitive energy resource,” says Peter Davidson, executive director of the Loan Programs Office at the U.S. Department of Energy (DoE).

Read more here

Knowdafish

I wonder how much each solar panel costs when you buy in bulk like that.  :D

Something is wrong with the math in the article though? 

290 megawatts generated by 5,000,000 panels?

290 megawatts = 290,000,000 watts. If you divide that by 5 million panels each panel is only putting out 58 watts? I guess that the voltage each panel puts out is the missing clue?  :idontknow:

I guess the solar industry has given up on solar mirror array technology where mirrors focus the heat of the sun? 

Edited by Knowdafish
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

the government should consider starting a program to cover every roof in the south and desert west with solar panels

• Like 1
lamoe

I wonder how much each solar panel costs when you buy in bulk like that.  :D

Something is wrong with the math in the article though? 

290 megawatts generated by 5,000,000 panels?

290 megawatts = 290,000,000 watts. If you divide that by 5 million panels each panel is only putting out 58 watts? I guess that the voltage each panel puts out is the missing clue?  :idontknow:

I guess the solar industry has given up on solar mirror array technology where mirrors focus the heat of the sun? 

Damn you for bring logic into this. That's at peak power

Here's the hidden kicker

But as solar power becomes cheaper, Davidson predicts (use to work at CBO?) that utilities will pass those savings on to consumers. And as the technological advancements emerging from megaplants like Agua Caliente become more widely available, individual solar power adopters may eventually see savings as well.

Edited by lamoe
Knowdafish

Thanks. I know a few have blown up or caught fire in the past. One was based on molten salt or the like which was used to transfer the heat to the boilers. 

I think solar panels may be more efficient for the $$? 

• Like 1
A_Simple_Man

the government should consider starting a program to cover every roof in the south and desert west with solar panels

I like an idea I heard of before (could have been on this forum even).  All those WalMarts with huge parking lots should have solar canopies over the car parking area.  It will stop your car from heating up in the hot sun and power the store.

EEProCarport.jpg

Edited by A_Simple_Man
  • Like 6
contraman

What is this obsession with putting these unsightly panels on roofs?

Solar Farms have them on the ground and there is plenty of sun drenched barren ground around to put them on.

Even the Aussies have done it :)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-07-18/mildura-solar-park-opens/4828048

spooks

One day all roofing for all constructions will have this as a basic requirement as part of the building code, sooner the better

• Like 2
contraman

One day all roofing for all constructions will have this as a basic requirement as part of the building code, sooner the better

No, I believe that is just wishful thinking.

I for one, will not be holding my breath until it happens

spooks

Yes it is wishful thinking as was doing away with the chamber pot in favour of underground sewers connecting all homes

One day, not in our lifetimes, yet may be in our grand childrens lifetimes this may happen

We have retirement havens. one day we will have dedicated bespoke eco havens for such purposes and people who choose to live there will be pioneers

• Like 1
contraman

Yes it is wishful thinking as was doing away with the chamber pot in favour of underground sewers connecting all homes

One day, not in our lifetimes, yet may be in our grand childrens lifetimes this may happen

We have retirement havens. one day we will have dedicated bespoke eco havens for such purposes and people who choose to live there will be pioneers

I still say it will not happen

But Dreams are free

Starting to get OFF TOPIC :)

Alan S

"that utilities will pass those savings on to consumers"

Yes, and pigs might fly.

• Like 3
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

Solar Farms have them on the ground and there is plenty of sun drenched barren ground around to put them on.

Even the Aussies have done it :)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-07-18/mildura-solar-park-opens/4828048

i'm just not a high fashion roof guy

• Like 1
Knowdafish

Not all are "unsightly".

http://www.dowpowerhouse.com/

post-14759-0-66518600-1399758456_thumb.jpg

Edited by Knowdafish
  • Like 2