Flying into Phillipines (Cebu) for first time next week.

Pman

I'm coming to PH for the first time next week, flying into Cebu mostly on the advice I found on this forum.

Any last minute advice or pointers?

I'm happy, excited, scarred, worried and many other emotions.

I'm staying at the Radisson for a few days then going to Provence.

I'm buying a cheap T-mobile that will work over there just for this trip as I don't want to miss my gf at the airport.

Pre purchased a little PH peso.

Bring DSL camera and Macbook or leave them home?

Feel free to give me any pointers :)

Thanks!

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pman

• Monsoon

• samatm

• Enuff

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pics from my trip:     That's all it will give me room to upload   Enjoy!

lots of good advice so far. here my take on your first trip   * when coming through customs they will generally ask you what's in your baggage, just tell them clothes and you will go right by. don't

Nope, I'm doing fine and I'm in Cebu.   I took a yellow cab and it cost 300 with tip.   Enjoying my first days in the PH with my beatiful GF   Everything is going smoothly and the flights went

Posted Images

samatm

Great ... have a  swell trip.   Please keep us posted how your trip is going ...went.    

1. How do you know your Tmobile  phone will work in Philippines?  The last Tmobile I hd was locked and I couldn't get it unlocked here for about 6 mos until the code was cracked and circulated.      You can buy SIM card upon arrival in Manila or Cebu...seems like i remember them selling cheap phones too upon arrival ..anyone here can confirm this ?

2.  take your camera and macbook...just be careful with your belongings.

3.  Leave the Hawaiian Shirts at home.

4.  Radison is next to SM so you get anything you need there for the province.

5.  Sit Asle  seat... walk around the plane  drink plenty of water .... Stay up all night the night before... get on the big jump and snooze away.   

6.  Get an extended visa upon arrival at the airport so you don't have to hassle with immigration on your trip.

7.  enjoy

• Like 3
Pman

Great ... have a  swell trip.   Please keep us posted how your trip is going ...went.    

1. How do you know your Tmobile  phone will work in Philippines?  The last Tmobile I hd was locked and I couldn't get it unlocked here for about 6 mos until the code was cracked and circulated.      You can buy SIM card upon arrival in Manila or Cebu...seems like i remember them selling cheap phones too upon arrival ..anyone here can confirm this ?

2.  take your camera and macbook...just be careful with your belongings.

3.  Leave the Hawaiian Shirts at home.

4.  Radison is next to SM so you get anything you need there for the province.

5.  Sit Asle  seat... walk around the plane  drink plenty of water .... Stay up all night the night before... get on the big jump and snooze away.   

6.  Get an extended visa upon arrival at the airport so you don't have to hassle with immigration on your trip.

7.  enjoy

Thanks for the response :)

1. Tmobile global roaming... paying 20c per minute but at least I have a phone that works in both Korea (during layover) and in PH when I arrive. Texting is free so I can text her and not have to pay anything.

2. I heard they give you hard time when bringing expensive electronics in. Has this changed?

3. Check :)

4. I assume that is a mall? I am going to pack light and buy clothes there.

5. I love window but I'll take advice on walking and water :) And have lots of meds that will make me sleep :)

6. I'm only there 3 weeks. I'm totally clueless on the whole visa thing. What should I ask for?

7. Can't wait to get to province and just hang out on the beach! Especially with my beautiful GF :)

Jeepney

4: SM Mall.

6: visa not needed apart from free entry visa, valid for 30 days.

Enjoy!

I <3 Cebu

My first trip I stayed at Radisson, it's nice! Sm is a mall yes & right next door, cinema, restaurants. . Etc. I did the same regarding packing light & the first day we spent shopping (be prepared to be stared at & swamped by the girls in the clothing stores)

First time meeting go the gf in person ? Good luck mate

davewe

I'm coming to PH for the first time next week, flying into Cebu mostly on the advice I found on this forum.

Any last minute advice or pointers?

I'm happy, excited, scarred, worried and many other emotions.

I'm staying at the Radisson for a few days then going to Provence.

I'm buying a cheap T-mobile that will work over there just for this trip as I don't want to miss my gf at the airport.

Pre purchased a little PH peso.

Bring DSL camera and Macbook or leave them home?

Feel free to give me any pointers :)

Thanks!

If you have an unlocked phone you can just buy a SIM card.

You can exchange for pesos at the airport, though the rate is not quite as good. 

By all means bring your camera and I always bring a laptop or iPad.

Have fun, expect glitches in any international travel and try to go with the flow. Did I mention have fun. 

Edited by davewe
Pman

4: SM Mall.

6: visa not needed apart from free entry visa, valid for 30 days.

Enjoy!

I'll be there 3 weeks. So I guess i don't need to worry.

My first trip I stayed at Radisson, it's nice! Sm is a mall yes & right next door, cinema, restaurants. . Etc. I did the same regarding packing light & the first day we spent shopping (be prepared to be stared at & swamped by the girls in the clothing stores)

First time meeting go the gf in person ? Good luck mate

Yes, first time, we've talked for 8 months.

Hope it works :)

She's so worried about other girls coming onto me. Kind of hard to believe it's so differnet there. I'm 6'4" and ok looking, always had beautiful GF but never had them tripping over themselves to get at me as GF seem to suggest they will when I get there.

Pman

If you have an unlocked phone you can just buy a SIM card.

You can exchange for pesos at the airport, though the rate is not quite as good. 

By all means bring your camera and I always bring a laptop or iPad.

Have fun, expect glitches in any international travel and try to go with the flow. Did I mention have fun. 

I sure hope there aren't any glitches, I'm stressed out of my gord as it it is!

But I sure look forward to having fun and relaxing on the beaches.

I'll bring my camera and laptop then. I had read some other threads on here saying they might try to hassle or tax me for such expensive items...

tokyoman

I'll be there 3 weeks. So I guess i don't need to worry.

You will find 3 weeks is not enough and will not want to leave

I find 2 months is about right for myself

• Like 1
Pman

You will find 3 weeks is not enough and will not want to leave

I find 2 months is about right for myself

I hope your right :)

It's my first time and I hope I fall in love with the PH. I would love to find a place with a nice beach to enjoy my retirement. I'm so sick of winters. I hated living in Florida, loved hawaii... but don't want to pay Hawaii prices and all that radiation now.........

I've read so much good and bad here on the forums I don't know what to expect. So i'm going to go and enjoy the experience and see if it's something I want to do a few more times then decide :)

davewe

I sure hope there aren't any glitches, I'm stressed out of my gord as it it is!

But I sure look forward to having fun and relaxing on the beaches.

I'll bring my camera and laptop then. I had read some other threads on here saying they might try to hassle or tax me for such expensive items...

I just got back this week from Cebu. Glitches on this trip:

The 1st day was a wash since our 1st flight was directed to another airport

Went snorkeling near Bohol; wife almost drown (no kidding)

Arrived at an apartment we'd rented. It was brand new but not ready: aircon and wifi didn't work properly.

The flight back was about 10 hours of turbulence.

Guess what? We had a blast and two days after we returned home wife asked when we can go back.

So enjoy, do your best, realize you can't control it all and go with the flow.

• Like 5
miles-high

4. Radisson: Politely ask for an upgrade to Biz Class, asking is free and if successfully you get free meals and drinks…

5. Window seat not bad depending on the airplane, class of service and the airline… http://www.seatguru.com/

Enjoy. :)

Pman

4. Radisson: Politely ask for an upgrade to Biz Class, asking is free and if successfully you get free meals and drinks…

5. Window seat not bad depending on the airplane, class of service and the airline… http://www.seatguru.com/

Enjoy. :)

Will definitely ask for the upgrade, didn't want to pay biz class though! I booked early and prepaid for the hotel.

Half Baked

Don't know how many overseas flights you've made, but you're in for a long un'.

I killed a bottle of NyQuil, a bottle of wine, and a liver on my way over.

Bring yer camera and laptop, they ain't gonna say anything about it. And the Hawaiian shirts, too. (We gotta have somebody in fashion around this place!)

Jow much third world experience do you have? Just curious, cause you could be in for a real eye-opener.

What province you headed for?

Let us know how things are going.

• Like 1