Sign in to follow this  
cebubird

"SORRY, NO STOCK SIR"

Salty Dog

Everytime I drive up to a checkpoint, they wave me past while stopping the Filipino drivers.

Kind of like the guys checking people at the malls and parking structure entrances. They mostly just wave me by.

Edited by Salty Dog
  • Like 1

Majorsco

Everytime I drive up to a checkpoint, they wave me past while stopping the Filipino drivers.

Kind of like the guys checking people at the malls and parking structure entrances. They mostly just wave me by.

That happens to me most of the time.  My wife tells me that it's likely that they are not confident in their English skills and just don't want to be embarassed.  I have been stopped probably 10% of the time when I'm sure Filipino's are being pulled over at a much higher rate.

Edited by Majorsco

maximian

Not entirely true.  The LTO enforcement division has the authority to pull people over, check registrations and licenses, etc. and can confiscate licenses.  When I was stopped by the LTO checkpoint a few weeks ago, they were uniformed and had proper IDs displayed.  I don't recall if they had a PNP with them or not, I just didn't notice.  The LTO people themselves were not armed, so I supect there was either a cop or a soldier somewhere nearby for their protection.

I agree about rent a cops, though.

The LTO in your neck of the woods might not be armed, however here in Laguna they have started to carry weapons and now look more professional than the police.

Monsoon

Can't speak for Cebu checkpoints, but the checkpoints here are by armed police or military, generally.  Only the LTO ones Ive seen were by unarmed LTO people, but there may have been someone armed in the mix.

I tend not to make someone carrying a gun angry, particularly when there is very little regard for life here.

Im talking about the bozos that stand at intersections and look for people to extort money off of for alleged violations, not checkpoints. 

• Like 1

GoHuk

If there isn't a uniformed PNP officer  clearly visible... don't stop. They are the only ones empowered to detain you. Citcom are just rent cops, they do not have a warrant and do not have the power to confiscate a licence, I wouldn't even show them one.

Also not quite true in Metro Manila since the MMDA has powers to stop and issue tickets.

JSL-USMC

My wife has a tricycle and each year we have to take the side car off when we get it registered. Bought a new ford and we have FORD plates on it. the license plate may be in next year. Of course there's always the "sorry sir,, not in stock" and you walk around the counter and there is a shelf full. IT BETTER IN THE PHILIPPINES!

• Like 2

thebob

Not entirely true.  The LTO enforcement division has the authority to pull people over, check registrations and licenses, etc. and can confiscate licenses.  When I was stopped by the LTO checkpoint a few weeks ago, they were uniformed and had proper IDs displayed.  I don't recall if they had a PNP with them or not, I just didn't notice.  The LTO people themselves were not armed, so I supect there was either a cop or a soldier somewhere nearby for their protection.

I agree about rent a cops, though.

The LTO "enforcement" division are deputised and so they are allowed to confiscate licences or vehicles, but a uniformed officer must be present to pull you over, the check must be well lit and sign posted.

http://www.topgear.com.ph/news/pnp-issues-updated-guidelines-on-checkpoints

http://www.autoindustriya.com/auto-industry-news/pnp-informs-the-public-on-proper-checkpoint-guidelines.html

CITCOM don't have that authority unless they are supported by the PNP.

thebob

Also not quite true in Metro Manila since the MMDA has powers to stop and issue tickets.

"In a decision in 2000, the SC ruled that the agency has no "police and legislative powers," he said.

"There is no syllable in R.A. No. 7924 that grants MMDA police power, let alone legislative power. Even the Metro Manila Council has not been delegated by legislative power," the Supreme Court ruled in the MMDA vs. Bel-Air Village Association Inc., in March 2000.

"Unlike the legislative bodies of the local government units, there is no provision in R.A. 7924 that empowers the MMDA or its council to 'enact ordinances, approve resolutions and appropriate funds for the general welfare' of the inhabitants of Metro Manila," it added. "All its functions are administrative in nature."

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/320157/news/metromanila/palace-says-no-need-for-metro-manila-gov-mmda-doing-good-job

SkyMan

Posted this in the thread about vehicle registration, but just had to give it more exposure.

We are all SO familiar with hearing that, regarding everything imaginable, but hearing it at the LTO was a triple "double face palm" moment.

After spending our almost 2 hours in a hot little place and paying our annual 4580, finally girl called to hand me final paperwork, and said, "No sticker sir".

"Excuse me, what do you mean, no sticker?"

"SORRY SIR NO STOCK".

"So when do I get sticker-next week?"

"MAYBE next month sir.?

Words escape me.

If they stamped the OR "No Sticker Available" what do you care?  I don't need no stinking sticker.  I never go back for it until next year for the new rego.

SkyMan

What gun?

Maybe he had on keistered.  It's like a holster but more natural.

• Like 1

Brucewayne

Maybe he had on keistered.  It's like a holster but more natural.

In other words, when he cocked his pistol, he actually......ewwwww!