Sign in to follow this  
newbster

Best exchange rate for USD - > PHP in Cebu....

newbster

Hi,

A friend looked around Cebu and said that M'L'Hullier offers a very good rate but that probably the best rate is Alco money changer in Raintree mall near Fuente Osmena.

Does anyone know of a better rate? He said that the money changer at Raintree mall and L'Hullier rates are better than for example BPI rates or any others he could find.

Any advice about where to change money in Cebu?

Thanks

billy

Hi,

A friend looked around Cebu and said that M'L'Hullier offers a very good rate but that probably the best rate is Alco money changer in Raintree mall near Fuente Osmena.

Does anyone know of a better rate? He said that the money changer at Raintree mall and L'Hullier rates are better than for example BPI rates or any others he could find.

Any advice about where to change money in Cebu?

Thanks

best exchange rates in rustans bottom floor ayala

• Like 2

ron100

the ones in it park at the walk ,and at jy sq have been always a bit more than the 1 in rustans, most times

Lee

Top floor of Ayala near Sky cable and not far from the gym, is equal to the one down in the little booth inside Rustans hallway and is much more modern, I like it up there when I or friends need to exchange smaller amounts. Also the one in Rustans will give the same rate on $20's as on 100's, not many other places will. 

Also for those that have accounts at Bank of Commerce on Osmena circle, I have found that Mayen (the in charge) on larger sums of money like $1000 and up would get me the best rates I could find anywhere when she uses the money changers she works with.

Edited by Lee
  • Like 1

billy

the ones in it park at the walk ,and at jy sq have been always a bit more than the 1 in rustans, most times

really how long have you been exchanging money here?

Monsoon

If you are exchanging 'bulk' the rate is negotiable at Rain Tree mall, whereas you will find the employees at the smaller exchanges are not empowered to do so. 

cebubird

Top floor of Ayala near Sky cable and not far from the gym, is equal to the one down in the little booth inside Rustans hallway and is much more modern, I like it up there when I or friends need to exchange smaller amounts. Also the one in Rustans will give the same rate on $20's as on 100's, not many other places will. 

Also for those that have accounts at Bank of Commerce on Osmena circle, I have found that Mayen (the in charge) on larger sums of money like $1000 and up would get me the best rates I could find anywhere when she uses the money changers she works with.

Except they don't use money changers anymore. They now have to use the bank rate.

Lee

Except they don't use money changers anymore. They now have to use the bank rate.

Are you saying that Mayen at that Bank of Commerce does not use money changers, if so then either something has changed in the last couple of weeks or the info you have must be wrong. Most banks I have dealt with will use money changer if you ask the in charge to, and if not then you can also get money changers such as the one at Robinsons to come to the bank for exchanges of large sums of money, believe me. I know because I have done it many times so that I do not have to walk out of the bank or a money changer with large amounts of cash. 

Other than that, since you did not quote a particular part of my post that you might be referring to, then I would have no idea what you might mean. Please clarify. 

Edited by Lee

newbster

How much is a large sum - I mean an amount that would convince the in-charge to use a money lender to get a better rate? $2000 USD? $3000 USD? $5000USD? More?

Thanks

Lee

How much is a large sum - I mean an amount that would convince the in-charge to use a money lender to get a better rate? $2000 USD? $3000 USD? $5000USD? More?

Thanks

Read post 4.

It is not the amount, it is if you ask them to. I had Mayen do it for me for a few hundred dollars a few weeks ago. Each money changer will have their own rules if they would be willing to send someone to the bank for the exchange or not or if they have a deal with the person in charge to do it for them. I suggest people get to know the owners or managers of the money change companies and then ask them what amount would they come to the bank for. I do not like to carry large sums of money to make myself a target by standing in line and receiving a large sum at an exchange, therefore I prefer to do it at a bank if it is anything more than a couple of hundred dollars. Mayen at BOC is fantastic to deal with, as she will take the $ out of my dollar account and put the pesos into my peso account and then for the most part I use my ATM card for living expenses and buying at stores. I have found that over time more places will accept ATM cards, now even some Bo's Coffee will and all supermarkets and department stores will. 

In the case of Bank of Commerce main branch on Osmena Circle, if you are a customer there, the money changers Mayen deals with trust her as do her customers, so you hand her the dollars or she removes them from your BOC $ account,.then she calls them on the phone and they accept at a given rate and she hands you the pesos or the receipt for the deposit of the pesos and then I guess the money changer sends someone in later on or just trusts Mayen, that part is not my business. 

Edited by Lee

Kuting

this is a useful thread.. wonder if these hold true for the UK ££'s as well..  sorry off topic..

cebubird

Are you saying that Mayen at that Bank of Commerce does not use money changers, if so then either something has changed in the last couple of weeks or the info you have must be wrong. Most banks I have dealt with will use money changer if you ask the in charge to, and if not then you can also get money changers such as the one at Robinsons to come to the bank for exchanges of large sums of money, believe me. I know because I have done it many times so that I do not have to walk out of the bank or a money changer with large amounts of cash. 

Other than that, since you did not quote a particular part of my post that you might be referring to, then I would have no idea what you might mean. Please clarify.

Been banking there 4 years and last year they told me no more money changers, have to use bank rate. I usually change about 3000 at a a time, and know Mayen. You can bet I will ask her when we go in this month

And yes, they used to do it exactly as you say. We would sit and wait for the money changer to bring money after after Rob, Mayen, or whoever, called and got rate.

We have 2 dollar accounts there and 1 peso account.

Lee

Been banking there 4 years and last year they told me no more money changers, have to use bank rate. I usually change about 3000 at a a time, and know Mayen. You can bet I will ask her when we go in this month

And yes, they used to do it exactly as you say. We would sit and wait for the money changer to bring money after after Rob, Mayen, or whoever, called and got rate.

We have 2 dollar accounts there and 1 peso account.

Man I am sorry to hear that. I would be curious if it was it Mayen herself that told you that? Heck if so then maybe I look too mean for her to say no to me and I would not wish that to be the case, that she felt forced or even obligated into doing it for me and a friend who I had brought in there.

If that is a new rule with them then that would be very disheartening to hear. If that turns out to be the new rule then as I explained to you in a pm reply to your pm, that would then mean I would then have to have the money changer (one good one I know is at Robinsons the owner is Loy 255 8992) send someone to the bank to make the exchange but either way I would make sure to get the top rate for those amounts rather than what the bank might give. A peso saved is a peso earned  :D and in today's world every peso counts. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the heads up tor the other members, please update us if it has changed back and no one bothered to tell you about that as I have found that is often the case in the (its more fun in the) Philippines.