Solar Power Setup Questions

musingloudly

musingloudly

I'll have better clarity on this after a couple of months... i'll update you all in a few

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul

• musingloudly

• thebob

• AussieLex

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The first thing I see wrong here, is your voltage drop from running 12ga wire a distance of 30 feet. Also, is that round trip, or one way? You need to keep your voltage drop under 3%.     The sec

Sorry about that. I am still not 100% after being ill. I meant to write that MorningStar controllers are built to US Specifications.    However, the Midnite Kid is manufactured in the US. Other cont

Paul,   Your comment prompted me to search and this is what I found. If the chart below is accurate, I am discharging my batts way too low. Until I am able to add some panels, I will likely take out

Posted Images

AussieLex

Hi guys,  Please bear with me as I am kinda new to posting on forums. I read this thread with interest as I am a yachtie, living aboard my boat and rely on solar 90% of the time for my power needs. I am not a technically minded kind of guy so doing the maths isnt a part of what I generally do. I have lived aboard this yacht for the past 30 months and am pretty happy about how the system works.

I have ... 4 x 100 watt solarr panels

3 x 150 amp hour batteries

1 x 40 amp digital controller

1 x 2000 watt pure sine inverter

I am powering ... 1 x 22 inch digital TV for several hours a day

2 x laptop computers for maybe 12 hours a day

1 x 80 litre fridge

1 x 80 litre freezer

several led type multi led lights

other assorted electrical stuff on the boat including electric flush toilet

I find that here in Darwin I have enough power most of the time with the above set up to suffice for my needs, I sometimes run a 1000 watt honda generator and a C-tec 25 amp battery charger for a few hours to give the solar panels a hand on cloudy days.

Like I say I dont know the numbers but the system has been working great for a long time now and no problems.

Once I move to the Philippines I intend to sort out some kind of back up system for power outages.

I hope the above helps somewhat.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi guys,  Please bear with me as I am kinda new to posting on forums. I read this thread with interest as I am a yachtie, living aboard my boat and rely on solar 90% of the time for my power needs. I am not a technically minded kind of guy so doing the maths isnt a part of what I generally do. I have lived aboard this yacht for the past 30 months and am pretty happy about how the system works.

I have ... 4 x 100 watt solarr panels
3 x 150 amp hour batteries
1 x 40 amp digital controller
1 x 2000 watt pure sine inverter

I am powering ... 1 x 22 inch digital TV for several hours a day
                           2 x laptop computers for maybe 12 hours a day
                           1 x 80 litre fridge
                           1 x 80 litre freezer
                            several led type multi led lights
                            other assorted electrical stuff on the boat including electric flush toilet

I find that here in Darwin I have enough power most of the time with the above set up to suffice for my needs, I sometimes run a 1000 watt honda generator and a C-tec 25 amp battery charger for a few hours to give the solar panels a hand on cloudy days.

Like I say I dont know the numbers but the system has been working great for a long time now and no problems.

Once I move to the Philippines I intend to sort out some kind of back up system for power outages.

I hope the above helps somewhat.

I have a similar set up with a MorningStar ProStar, PWM Charge Controller, 2 - 120AH 12vdc batteries, and 400 watts of solar array. We do not have any appliances on this system. The main things we run are lighting and cell phone chargers. So, our system has no problems keeping the batteries charged.

I can imagine, though, if you have more than two to three days of overcast skies, you would be hurting for power.

I would suggest running an additional panel, if not two, on your system. If your controller is an MPPT controller, you could go with a series - parallel configuration on the panels, while still keeping 12vdc at the batteries. Better still, would be to run 24vdc on the system voltage (batteries). This would reduce amperes, thus reducing the size of wire necessary to power the system. 

AussieLex

""I can imagine, though, if you have more than two to three days of overcast skies, you would be hurting for power.""

Thats why I use a 1000 watt honda generator and a C-tec 25 amp battery charger for a few hours to give the solar panels a hand on cloudy days as well as plug everything I generally use into the generator to take the load off the batteries.

The changes you suggested might be a good idea if I were building or upgrading the system but this one has been working like it is for a few years now.

AussieLex

Edited by AussieLex

Is your generator one of those newer Honda Inverter generators?

• 2 weeks later...
AussieLex

Sorry for the late reply I have been away for a while ...

Yes it is a Honda EU10i... has two modes, regular and economy and is a pure sine invertor generator.

• Like 1