Sign in to follow this  
HTM

Water Cooled Marine Diesel Engine

HTM

Does anyone know where I can buy a "cheap" and good water cooled(Seawater) marin diesel engine 18hp+ in the Philippines?
It will be used in a 35-40 foot pump boat.

Must have electric starter and alternator

Maximum 40k

Knowdafish

Cheap and good usually do not happen at the same time. I wish you luck in your endeavor. 

• Like 3

HTM

I have been advised to use a Fuso 4DR5 diesel engine, some with experience?

This engine is widely used here in such boats.

HTM

Bill H

Does anyone know where I can buy a "cheap" and good water cooled(Seawater) marin diesel engine 18hp+ in the Philippines?

It will be used in a 35-40 foot pump boat.

Must have electric starter and alternator

Maximum 40k

That would be a very small motor for a 35-40' Banca.  I suggest you go with a 30hp anyway.  That said, "Marine Diesels" are very, very hard to find here.  Virtually every banca I've seen uses an engine pulled out of a truck (including tranny) and they go with that.  Cooling said engine is sometimes comical, but the best method is an external keel cooler which  amounts to a 1.5" steel pipe running along the outside of the hull.  Not pretty, but it works if the pipe is long enough.

I'm looking for a 60-80hp for my next build (mono-hull), so I'm exploring China diesels.  I know a couple of commercial fishermen using them and they say they are ok.  Of course, I guess it's all in how you define "ok."  I'll let you know what I find.  Thus far I have found some 30hp models and they come with marine gears in your choice of gear ratios.  I believe they have models down to 20hp but as I have not been looking for those I haven't really looked.

Your "marine diesel" won't be worth a tinkers dam if you don't have a correctly matched prop.  There is now a company in Cebu making props in stainless and they actually know what "pitch" means.  I'll keep you posted on that as well.

• Like 1

HTM

That would be a very small motor for a 35-40' Banca. I suggest you go with a 30hp anyway.

Yes I see it, a 4DR5 is a better option i think (70-80 hp)

This is also pretty cheap and it is easy to find parts for engine in Cebu, the conversion is not that difficult.

Bill H

Yes I see it, a 4DR5 is a better option i think (70-80 hp)

This is also pretty cheap and it is easy to find parts for engine in Cebu, the conversion is not that difficult.

Lol now I think you're going too high for a 35 footer. Keep in mind Banca's are not heavily built and a 80hp motor produces a lot of thrust. 40-60 would be a better range and burn a lot less fuel.

The locals rarely do it, but I think taking the used engine to a rebuild shop for a complete rebuild would give one a good bit of peace of mind and not cost all that much. A dead engine far out to sea will ruin your day quickly.

Even if I bought a truck engine I'd get a true marine gear to replace the tranny.

HTM

I've got a very good deal on a good complete 4DR5, 25k.
Then maybe I can increase the project to 50 foot without it becoming so much more expensive. :dance:
The project is a boat able to have 6-8 Passengers who can sleep and live there for about a week or two. "Banca-houseboat"

I had a bus construction project, but the only one I liked was 4,000,000 over my budget. :notallthere:

I have not made ​​any drawings but a combination of these boats maybe

post-2957-0-86092100-1398954807_thumb.jpg

post-2957-0-23369800-1398954823_thumb.gif

post-2957-0-33122800-1398955434_thumb.jpg

post-2957-0-59189900-1398954878_thumb.gif

thebob

That first pic looks like a nightmare... I don't think the designer ever heard the word windage!

• Like 1

HTM

That first pic looks like a nightmare... I don't think the designer ever heard the word windage!

It shall be used for short trips 4 hours maximum, 10 knots is desired cruising speed. average run on a 14 days trip will possibly be 10 hours total.

That is why the diesel consumption is not so important.

Living space and safety is important!!

Bill H

It shall be used for short trips 4 hours maximum, 10 knots is desired cruising speed. average run on a 14 days trip will possibly be 10 hours total.

That is why the diesel consumption is not so important.

Living space and safety is important!!

If you are serious about this, and safety is important, then don't go with a Banca! Go with a mono hull or a cat. If it were me, I'd go with a cat for these waters. Ply covered by some glass. If your target is 10 knot cruise you will need a LWL (Length at Water Line) of at least 60'. A 50' LWL only gives you a hull speed of 9.47 knots. But that is hull speed. To go above that speed takes a lot of power because the stern tends to get buried. Of course if you want a planing hull it does not matter, but you said fuel efficiency was important, so that precludes a planing hull.

You realize that MARINA has to approve your project, plans, and build in order for the vessel to be licensed. You knew that right?

HTM

You realize that MARINA has to approve your project, plans, and build in order for the vessel to be licensed. You knew that right?

Yes

HTM

but you said fuel efficiency was important

Quote: "That is why the diesel consumption is not so important."

It is most to live in, not run around.

HTM

If you are serious about this, and safety is important, then don't go with a Banca! Go with a mono hull or a cat. If it were me, I'd go with a cat for these waters. Ply covered by some glass. If your target is 10 knot cruise you will need a LWL (Length at Water Line) of at least 60'. A 50' LWL only gives you a hull speed of 9.47 knots. But that is hull speed. To go above that speed takes a lot of power because the stern tends to get buried. Of course if you want a planing hull it does not matter, but you said fuel efficiency was important, so that precludes a planing hull.

I have also considered a catamaran, but think it is too expensive.

What do you think the material costs are on a 50 foot catamaran? (I know it's a difficult question)

And what is the correct engine and price?

spritsail

I have a 46 hp Yanmar marine diesel, sea water cooled for sale with integral gearbox. Needs con rods replacing but otherwise a good sturdy engine. Was swinging  a 34 inch four blade prop via a 2 inch stainless steel propshaft . Gave enough power (torque) to power a 72 ft, 40 ton mono hull. I replaced it last year with a bigger, marine Yanmar . PM me if you are interested. Was going to use it for a beach winch or in a steel fishing/crabbing  boat.