Sign in to follow this  
johnboy999

Think your suitcase is secure? Think again!

Paul

This, or a similar video, has been around for a fairly length of time. 

I recall seeing it, or a similar one, a couple of years ago.

Nothing wrong with a reminder, though. 

CardiacKid

It would be a good idea to secure-wrap your check-ins (or just take your carry-on only) if you are going to Singapore, Malaysia, China or other middle eastern countries…

You would not want to be caught with chewing gum in your luggage in Singapore. 

• Like 1

Salty Dog

In the USA your bags have ro be able to be opened at anytime by TSA. There are even TSA locks so they don't have to cut your locks off. Wonder how they handle opening a wrapped bag?

As for all the posts where poeple talk about using something so they can tell if their bags have been opened. So what. Once the bag has been broken into and you've been robbed, what difference does it make if you know or even if the thief left a note thanking you for your stuff.

As pointed out by the well seasoned travellers, don't pack anything of value in checked luggage.

Sent from Note 3

Edited by Salty Dog
  • Like 2

Monsoon

Watch the video.  It is about people PUTTING IN contraband into your luggage.

Yea I got that chief. But the thread including the OP has been about both, luggage theft and putting things in. 

• Like 2

SkyMan

My bags look like they've already been broken into so nobody would bother looking for stuff there.

• Like 1

Headshot

I've never had a problem with my solid-side Samsonite bags. Maybe that's because there is no zipper, and there are three locking points (TSA locks). Security can still get in, but nobody else.

johnboy999

I've never had a problem with my solid-side Samsonite bags. Maybe that's because there is no zipper, and there are three locking points (TSA locks). Security can still get in, but nobody else.

I think that's the whole point of the video. I guess most people wouldn't think about accessing a locked bag in such an easy manner directly through the zip. I guess the average school of thought is that where the zip opens is the weak point and as long as that is locked, they are safe. Clearly not true. 

The obvious solution to this problem is to use cases like yours, but I'd hazard a guess based on my own observations when flying that at least 90% of cases going through are the traditional type with a big zipper all around the outside.

roadhaze

I go to yard sale and buy 2 dollar suitcase. I now have big stack of them. Fill them to airline limits. Ha Ha no lap top in  them. 200 p each  how many you want?  Amazes me the people who send this exspensive luggage.  I just send my goodies and when I get here the suit case gets thrown in corner never to be looked at again. Think I have 10 or so in corner now.

Hy H

Just wondering if the security and customs at destination would be keener on these wrapped bags being used for bringing in illegal stuff on thought that customs would not go thru hassle of tearing open and environmentally safely disposing all that plastic wrapping around de luggage.

mikewright

Just wondering if the security and customs at destination would be keener on these wrapped bags being used for bringing in illegal stuff on thought that customs would not go thru hassle of tearing open and environmentally safely disposing all that plastic wrapping around de luggage.

I thought most bags now go through X-ray machines anyway, plastic wrappings wouldn't make a difference.

SkyMan

I thought most bags now go through X-ray machines anyway, plastic wrappings wouldn't make a difference.

They all do in the US or are supposed to anyway.  Hopefully most western countries do this.  In the US anyway, many are physically searched so that's when the wrapping would be cut off. 

I don't know what they charge for the wrapping service but Belmont tools has shrink wrap rolls for sale.  One thing that might make the cost for wrapping worth it in the US would be if they could arrange it with TSA that any wrapped bags TSA inspects, would be rewrapped before loading on the plane.

there are three locking points (TSA locks). Security can still get in, but nobody else.

TSA is probably the ones stealing stuff.

I go to yard sale and buy 2 dollar suitcase. I now have big stack of them. Fill them to airline limits. Ha Ha no lap top in  them. 200 p each  how many you want?  Amazes me the people who send this exspensive luggage.  I just send my goodies and when I get here the suit case gets thrown in corner never to be looked at again. Think I have 10 or so in corner now.

I have a pile too.  I take a smallish bag to the US and buy new bags from Goodwill, Salvation Army, or like you garage sales.  Buy some clothes there too.  Max out my luggage on the return trip. Edited by SkyMan

InternetTough

In the USA your bags have ro be able to be opened at anytime by TSA. There are even TSA locks so they don't have to cut your locks off. Wonder how they handle opening a wrapped bag? As for all the posts where poeple talk about using something so they can tell if their bags have been opened. So what. Once the bag has been broken into and you've been robbed, what difference does it make if you know or even if the thief left a note thanking you for your stuff. As pointed out by the well seasoned travellers, don't pack anything of value in checked luggage. Sent from Note 3

Yes, but it might be nice to notice that it is possible that someone put something INTO one's bag before attempting to go through customs. Perhaps a quick trip to the toilet with the item of luggage before passing through customs would then be advisable.

Edited by InternetTough

Headshot

TSA is probably the ones stealing stuff.

Maybe...but I put a marker in my bag (a piece of thread), so I know whenever the bag has been opened. The only times it has been disturbed, there were TSA notes in the bag telling me where and when it had been opened. I've never had anything come up missing in my bags.

MaKe

You are of course absolutely correct roadking, it is a worldwide problem. It certainly doesn't just happen in the Philippines.

I always used to think maybe the baggage handlers were expert lock-pickers, but after watching that video, it's really much simpler than that!

When entering or traveling in the US, they tell you NOT to lock luggage because homeland security / TSA may want to inspect, so they cut the locks off.  It's very obvious that they've inspected your luggage as they usually disturb packed items such that it's difficult to close the luggage again. 

I never put anything of value in my checked luggage and rarely carry multiples of similar items like laptops or tablets